Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 sorento
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 16 sorento with about 80k miles now. We have been having issues with rough idle coming to a stop engine studders a bit then usually straightens out. Today the car died at the light.... was able to get it started again but there's no cel on! On a side note this engine 2.4l has been using like 3qts extra oil in the 4k miles oil change ! We are tring to get in touch with our local dealer but I'm trying to see if there's any insight from some of you. I know the oil thing is BAD but the stalling seems to be unrelated but still concerning for a 80k mile car!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
453 Posts
Have someone run a compression test on it. I suspect you've got a lot of build up on the GDI valves and they aren't seating properly. There is no sensor for the individual valves and unless it's creating havoc with the catalytic converter, may not get a code because it's not technically misfiring. Eventually it will destroy the cat and then you'll get a huge variation in the delta between the fore and aft 02 sensors and it will trip the CEL. Could also be a problem with the rings given the oil consumption and again, not something that would necessarily trip a CEL.

Has the car been used for a lot of short trips in its lifetime? Not coming properly up to temps (meaning at least 15 minutes of real driving) is the absolute worse thing for a GDI engine from any manufacturer. It's not great even for MPI cars but the lack of proper heat really encourages buildup on a GDI engines valves and in pretty short order.

Compression tests are relatively cheap and can also be combined with a borescope to help narrow down issues if they present themselves.

If your the original owner, at least the engine is still mostly covered under warranty so don't spent a lot of your money for what the dealer should be able to do as part of diagnosing an engine problem.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,620 Posts
could be bad mass air flow sensor. use some GDI valve clear as instructed.
It could be a whole load of things, and a diagnostic approach would be the right way to go about identifying what the actual problem is.

I don't think GDI cleaner is correct for the MAF, there's a specific non-residue cleaner for that, and this model has an MAP not MAF.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,620 Posts
My wife has a 16 sorento with about 80k miles now. We have been having issues with rough idle coming to a stop engine studders a bit then usually straightens out. Today the car died at the light.... was able to get it started again but there's no cel on! On a side note this engine 2.4l has been using like 3qts extra oil in the 4k miles oil change ! We are tring to get in touch with our local dealer but I'm trying to see if there's any insight from some of you. I know the oil thing is BAD but the stalling seems to be unrelated but still concerning for a 80k mile car!
What's the service history - oil change interval, what oil and what oil filter.
Have someone run a compression test on it.
Yes, a wet and dry compression test will confirm if its valves or piston rings, but the heavy oil consumption points to bad rings, and along with that would be high piston blow-by, high crankcase gas, and PCV flow into the intake.

As you say, at 80K miles if he's the first owner its still under warranty if he has evidence of an impeccable service record.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
536 Posts
A bad MAP sensor wouldn't cause that much oil consumption over 4k miles. And MAP sensors aren't like MAF sensors of the past.. they last much longer and are generally more reliable.

My guess would be the same as tom's: valves, rings, or both. If you're the original owner, I would take it to the dealer and describe the symptoms (especially the oil consumption). Press them if you need to, because it's a growing problem. If it gets bad enough, you'll be forced to replace the engine or get rid of the car.

To make it a little better in the short term, you can try CRC GDI Intake cleaner. That might prevent the stalling at idle, and it's a risk of about $12.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts