Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, the rear liftgate (manual) on our 2016 Sorento will not stay closed. If I pull the thing closed from the inside I can see that the latch is hitting the striker and beginning to wrap around – however it will not engage and stay shut and the dash is reporting (of course) that the liftgate is still open.

Are there any tricks I can employ to try to fix this? The car has 60,XXX miles on it so it's possible this wont be covered by warranty, going to call the dealership soon.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
812 Posts
My best guess is the latch is out of alignment. There should be some screws that hold it in place, loosen them and try to get it all lined up.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
931 Posts
Adjustment
1. Inspect tailgate and body edges are parallel.
2. After loosening tailgate hinge (A) mounting bolt, adjust tailgate by moving up, down, righthand or lefthand, Fig. 3.
3. Adjust tailgate height by turning tailgate over slam bumpers (B), Fig. 3.
4. Adjust striker (C) by moving up, down, righthand or lefthand, Fig. 3.
5. Ensure tailgate locks, unlocks, opens and closes properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright y'all.. Literally have been driving around with our lift gate tied shut for a month now. To anyone who stumbles upon this – adjusting the striker or any other point of the gate positioning did not fix the issue. I ended up following the steps here to strip down the interior paneling on the lift gate: https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/diy-tailgate-back-panel-removal-rear-badge-replacement.138986/.

From there I removed the lock actuator, and started to slowly take the whole assembly apart. Once I got inside I saw that the plastic gears had melted, and the white emergency lever was stuck in the "open" position. I spun the gears by hand which freed everything up, and voila.. I cleaned up some of the melted plastic, but I'll definitely be replacing the whole thing sooner than later. I don't think it melted due to any electrical issues – we we're out in Palm Springs, CA the weekend that things went south and it was hotter than hell.

Anyway, thanks for the links above it helped me get started here.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
480 Posts
I had a similar issue where the rear latch just stopped working. I was told by the dealer it's a recall, but I never received a noticed about it. They fixed it for free, but I think that was under warranty (I was still under 60k at that point).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts