Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been able to find any other threads about this issue...
Since getting my Sorento I've had an issue with a gap between the headlights and highbeams. After being reassured for months by the dealer that it is normal and them releveling the lights in various ways to try to satisfy me, they finally acknowledged it wasn't right and replaced the headlight assemblies under warranty, however it didn't fix the issue. I've attached a pic that hopefully shows what I mean.
Does anyone recognize this issue or have any suggestions? Every time I mention it to the service reps they are just scratching their heads and don't seem to have any clue. And they aren't open late enough to test drive in the dark and see just how frustrating it is as it creates a horizontal blind spot. Thanks for any ideas!
IMG_20200106_220138.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
42 Posts
I think I read the main and high beams are linked together but they can be separated if you remove the linkage. You might want to explore this in more detail its possible your linkage has been altered or not in sink with the low beams

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is normal
Well I'm embarrassed to have made such a big deal about it if that's the case, I just can't understand it. Does this not bother you? In the city I don't notice it but I am driving on back roads daily so this really affects me.

If I have the headlights at what I'd consider a normal level then there's a huge black strip in my line of sight between headlight/highbeams. If I adjust them down to where high beams seem normal then the headlights give me about 25ft visual (like in the pic) and I feel blind without the high beams on. If I adjust the headlights up so I don't need high beams then I can see better but then people are flashing me all the time.

My wife refuses to drive it at night because of it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A
I think I read the main and high beams are linked together but they can be separated if you remove the linkage. You might want to explore this in more detail its possible your linkage has been altered or not in sink with the low beams
Appreciate your suggestion. I would have thought that replacing the headlights would fix this but this at least gives me something to bring back to the service desk. Don't think I'd be comfortable messing with it myself.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
238 Posts
My 2015 SX has 3 adjustments.. A- High Beam Vertical, C-Low Bean Vertical and B- Low Beam Horizontal. Strange both sides are out. Top pic is Basic Headlight, Bottom is HID.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2015 SX has 3 adjustments.. A- High Beam Vertical, C-Low Bean Vertical and B- Low Beam Horizontal. Strange both sides are out. Top pic is Basic Headlight, Bottom is HID.

View attachment 113538
Thanks for your response. My understanding is that on the 2016 there is only vertical and horizontal adjustment and both high/low beams move together.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
238 Posts
Yep 2016 was a re-design, so many year and model small differences it's hard to keep tract, I did not know about headlight adjustments changing. Interesting that they expect every bulb, headlight assembly and chassis to be perfect, I wonder if they shim something during assembly that is not a field recommended process. Your picture looks like your left high beam is too high, right not as bad.
PS: If it's bad enough you could pay a reputable body shop to look into it, and get an estimate. They are used to straightening out lighting alignment after some pretty bad front end repairs. Hopefully yours should be a quick job for them. Worst case would be a new headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
840 Posts
If you replace the high beams with good LED's you will have less of an issue. The LED's have a little more diffusion and will give a more pleasing view.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep 2016 was a re-design, so many year and model small differences it's hard to keep tract, I did not know about headlight adjustments changing. Interesting that they expect every bulb, headlight assembly and chassis to be perfect, I wonder if they shim something during assembly that is not a field recommended process. Your picture looks like your left high beam is too high, right not as bad.
PS: If it's bad enough you could pay a reputable body shop to look into it, and get an estimate. They are used to straightening out lighting alignment after some pretty bad front end repairs. Hopefully yours should be a quick job for them. Worst case would be a new headlamp assembly.
Thank for that great suggestion, I'll see if I can find somewhere to look at that.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you replace the high beams with good LED's you will have less of an issue. The LED's have a little more diffusion and will give a more pleasing view.
Interesting idea, thanks for that, I'll check into it with the dealership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts