Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
First post here.

My wife has been loving her 2016 Sorento EX for just over a year now but we just noticed today (it's 15 degrees outside) that the heat on the driver's side is not working well.

To clarify, I'm talking about the heater..........NOT the heated seats which thankfully are working fine.

But the air coming out of the driver's side vents (floor and dash) is cool, while the air on the passenger side is nice and warm/hot as would be expected.

I've read about the blend actuator but wouldn't that block all of the air?
The driver side vents seem to be moving just as much air as the passenger side, it's just not hot air.

I'm still under warranty and will call the dealer tomorrow.

Was just curious if anyone here had similar issues.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Brian
New Jersey

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hi All,
First post here.

My wife has been loving her 2016 Sorento EX for just over a year now but we just noticed today (it's 15 degrees outside) that the heat on the driver's side is not working well.

To clarify, I'm talking about the heater..........NOT the heated seats which thankfully are working fine.

But the air coming out of the driver's side vents (floor and dash) is cool, while the air on the passenger side is nice and warm/hot as would be expected.

The driver side vents seem to be moving just as much air as the passenger side, it's just not hot air.

Brian
New Jersey
Did you check that both temp zones are synced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check that both temp zones are synced?
Thanks for your response,

And yes, I have checked it while synced and not synced.
And with the controls in "auto" and "manual" modes.

Even with the passenger side set at 65 and the driver side at 85, you can feel much warmer air coming out of the passenger side.

I will call the dealer today and will report back when I have more information.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Thanks for your response,

And yes, I have checked it while synced and not synced.
And with the controls in "auto" and "manual" modes.

Even with the passenger side set at 65 and the driver side at 85, you can feel much warmer air coming out of the passenger side.

I will call the dealer today and will report back when I have more information.
It occurs to me that an air flap would have got stuck.....regardless the temp you set it always throws cool air?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It occurs to me that an air flap would have got stuck.....regardless the temp you set it always throws cool air?
Yes I agree that might be the problem.
I spent some time googling and it seems that a bad "blend door actuator" has caused similar problems on some older models.

It's going to the dealer tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say about it.

It was 7 degrees this morning so my wife was happy to have heated seats and a short commute.

I was happy to be in my own car with working heat and heated seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that Murphy's law prevails!

The dealer called and said the temperature of the air is the same on both the driver and passenger side.

I am positive that there was a BIG difference in air temp on Sunday witnessed by both me and my wife.
Literally like switching a hair dryer from hot to cold...........no question about it.

My only thought is that maybe a flap or door in the venting was stuck and then became unstuck by the time it got to the dealer.

It was just about due for an oil change so they took care of that so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It appears that Murphy's law prevails!

The dealer called and said the temperature of the air is the same on both the driver and passenger side.

I am positive that there was a BIG difference in air temp on Sunday witnessed by both me and my wife.
Literally like switching a hair dryer from hot to cold...........no question about it.

My only thought is that maybe a flap or door in the venting was stuck and then became unstuck by the time it got to the dealer.

It was just about due for an oil change so they took care of that so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
If it happens again, don't be afraid to show up to the dealer unannounced and have them try and diagnose the problem without turning the car off. Dealers simply will not care about a problem unless they see it themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it happens again, don't be afraid to show up to the dealer unannounced and have them try and diagnose the problem without turning the car off. Dealers simply will not care about a problem unless they see it themselves.
Good idea, I will definitely keep that in mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,
First post here.

Brian
New Jersey
I had this problem when I picked up my new car, but the tech supervisor fixed it in about 20 min. They identified it could be faulty part, and would order one for me to keep in inventory and replace if it happened again. I can't think of the name right now, sorry. Will repost if I do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,
First post here.

Brian
New Jersey
I had this problem when I picked up my new car, but the tech supervisor fixed it in about 20 min. They identified it could be faulty part, and would order one for me to keep in inventory and replace if it happened again. I can't think of the name right now, sorry. Will repost if I do.
Reread your post. Yes, I think it was the actuator.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
quaquaqua
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing