Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Hyundai store is stumped and I hope some can help:

My 2016 Sorento 3.3 has 101,000 miles and recently began blowing the distinctive smell and fog from the exhaust and a rough cold start. I also found evidence that the coolant resivoir had overflowEd. No evidence of coolant in oil (dipstick and oil cap), and the coolant in the reservoir was clean. A couple days later My wife was driving and the check engine light came on and it ran rough on the highway. She drove it directly to our local Hyundai Dealer.

I gave Hyundai all the above info. Their diagnosis....code was #3 cylinder Ignition coil. They pressure tested coolant and found no leaks. No indication of coolant on all 6 spark plugs. They recommended replacing all 3 rear ignition coils and all 6 Original spark plugs. Upon completion, it ran better but still misfired at start. Then they ran fuel injector cleaner and called it perfect and ready to go. i paid the $900 bill and it immediately misfired when I picked it up. I brought the svc Mngr outside and he clearly saw and smelled coolant coming from exhaust. They’ve had it for 3 days now and confirmed it still has rough start and blowing coolant but they cannot figure out what is happening.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
631 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one way coolant gets into the exhaust. If it was just a general "I smell coolant while driving" then you replace the radiator cap and inspect the recovery bottle for leaks and then hope it's not the heater core leaking small amounts into the cabin area. But the exhaust pretty much leads to a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,589 Posts
You MAY have one of the 3.3 engines that has issues with a sheared head bolt which causes a head gasket leak. It is a rare but noted possibility. There's a thread on it around here somewhere from a while back.
Have they checked yet to see if (in reverse) there are any exhaust gas products in the coolant?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts