Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento 2.0T SX AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, thought I’d see if anyone has had a similar experience and would have some suggestions. We have a 2016 Sorento SX with the 2.0 turbo engine with around 75000km. Noticed a burning oil smell after driving so popped open the hood and saw some smoke at the back of the engine. Couldn’t see anything obvious so took the bottom cover off from under the engine. It was a little damp with oil but not enough to leak on the ground. Seems to have some oil on the water pump mounting bolts and the passenger side drive shaft. So I think the smoke is from oil getting on the exhaust or turbo, something that’s hot anyways.
Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a leaky valve cover gasket. It was replaced and a couple days later noticed the burning oil again. So that wasn’t the problem... Anyone experience something similar or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
326 Posts
Wish I could be of more help. I would suggest just taking it back to the dealer.

Almost forgot: Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
Did they have a look at the oil pressure sensor?
That said - if they didn't do a thorough cleaning job, the old oil may still be burning off.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento 2.0T SX AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I could be of more help. I would suggest just taking it back to the dealer.

Almost forgot: Welcome to the forum.
Ya it’s going back this week just don’t want it to turn into a guessing game for them since the warranty is up. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento 2.0T SX AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they have a look at the oil pressure sensor?
That said - if they didn't do a thorough cleaning job, the old oil may still be burning off.
Not sure if they checked it or not. The did an ‘engine shampoo’ so I would think they got all the old oil off. And since it took a couple more days after to starting smoking again I’m thinking it’s new oil.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,589 Posts
First post, thought I’d see if anyone has had a similar experience and would have some suggestions. We have a 2016 Sorento SX with the 2.0 turbo engine with around 75000km. Noticed a burning oil smell after driving so popped open the hood and saw some smoke at the back of the engine. Couldn’t see anything obvious so took the bottom cover off from under the engine. It was a little damp with oil but not enough to leak on the ground. Seems to have some oil on the water pump mounting bolts and the passenger side drive shaft. So I think the smoke is from oil getting on the exhaust or turbo, something that’s hot anyways.
Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a leaky valve cover gasket. It was replaced and a couple days later noticed the burning oil again. So that wasn’t the problem... Anyone experience something similar or have any suggestions?
My EX Turbo has a minor oil leak at the back, bottom of the engine. Although it seems to be coming from the gearbox, instead. The last time I went to the dealership they couldn't figure it out because it rained that day and the splash shield wasn't installed. They cleaned up the area with soap and asked me to come back in 500 km. But the oil level has always been fine and there is no related warning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts