Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2016 Kia Sedona LX 6 Cylinders 1 3.3L DI DOHC 204 CID
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it to the dealership and they claimed it is likely a faulty BCM receiver.

First question is does that sound reasonable? Second question is if I have a faulty BCM what else could I check to confirm that?

· Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,491 Posts
Pump the tire up to at least 45 psi. Then see if the light goes off. If not, bleed the tire down to 16 psi, then refill to 35 psi, factory setting. If this does not work you may have a defective TPMS sensor at the wheel itself. This is a lot less expensive to R & R than a BCM. Don't know why the dealer did not try this first?? Anyhoot, its under warranty, so let them fix it....

Reactions: joemsj51

· Administrator
12,633 Posts
Pump the tire up to at least 45 psi. Then see if the light goes off. If not, bleed the tire down to 16 psi, then refill to 35 psi, factory setting. If this does not work you may have a defective TPMS sensor at the wheel itself. This is a lot less expensive to R & R than a BCM. Don't know why the dealer did not try this first?? Anyhoot, its under warranty, so let them fix it....
Most Tire Fitment centers will scan the TPMS sensors free of charge and this will confirm the health of the battery and the pressure its reading.

· Registered
2017 Sedona LX+, 2019 Optima LX
132 Posts
yes, if pressures are good Id wager a bad tire sensor as well. It was a $200 job at the dealer (parts & labor) when it happened to mine.

· Administrator
12,633 Posts
yes, if pressures are good Id wager a bad tire sensor as well. It was a $200 job at the dealer (parts & labor) when it happened to mine.
Most tire fitment places will do that for less than half that cost using the same brand of sensor.

· Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,350 Posts
$200 does sound like a lot for one TPS sensor and installation, all of around ten minutes! I think the local place I typically buy tires will do all four for $250, we have two 2013 cars, both are end of life on the batteries and occasionally throw a bad TPS error. They're in the queue to get the sensors replaced.

· Registered
2017 Sedona LX+, 2019 Optima LX
132 Posts
Tire places vary in their ability to access the Kia TPMS system to pull up diagnostics and program TPMS sensors. Some places are only able to clone good sensors, not necessarily pull up sensor id's and diagnose bad com links.

Dealerships are called stealerships for a reason. But they are needed if third party service centers are locked out of the proprietary electronics.

· Registered
2017 Sedona LX 3.3L V6
254 Posts
Not sure what you meant by that comment, but the wheel speed sensors are not related to the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors.
When I did that comment I thought I saw a Canadian flag in the OP's profile : I said it because the Canadian cars dont have TPMS, they detect differences in wheel speeds to warn of a flat (With the wheel speed sensors).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.