Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all 2016 sedona here, drivers side sliding door when closing makes a grinding/buzzing noise right as its about to close completely but then will not close all the way and it beeps and i have to get out and push on back end of door to completely get it to latch, I'm assuming issue with door motor, i guess i need to take it to dealership i hope its still covered under warranty, anyone experience something similar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Should be under warranty. This was an issue with the 2015's also and IIRC it was a pulley issue. I think they updated the plastic (!!) pulley that the cable runs across near the drive motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have somewhat of a similar issue but on the passenger's side I've noticed lately. I'm not sure if it has anything to do recently with the cold weather (live in Toronto, Canada) but the door seems to make this unusual noise when closing. It seems to happen intermittently. It'll close, but as I start to drive, the van will sound off this audible alert and the instrumentation panel will indicate an issue with the passenger's side door. I would need to stop the van, open/close the sliding door to continue. I don't need to manually push the sliding door as the buttons on the overhead console and passenger side can close it. The driver's side sounds "normal".

·
Registered
23 Posts
2015 SX - It’s a known problem, I’ve had both sides replaced, now working properly. If it doesn’t do it all the time, the dealer will say that they can’t replicate it, so they won’t fix it. Everything should be covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dropped off the vehicle on Wed.They told me the same thing, if they couldn’t replicate the problem, I would be charged $105 diagnostic fee. They ended up calling me saying that I would need to leave my van and part would need to be ordered, so that tells me they found and issue. When I had dropped off my van, I showed the service manager a video on YouTube with a 2016 SX with the same issue. Anyhow, two days later, I called for an update. They said part (drive motor) could take up to two weeks for delivery. I told them, I need my van and it could be perfectly be in my driveway instead of their lot. I told them to call me when part arrives and only then, will I drop my van off. All this to say, this is under warranty. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It seems you fall in a Dealership which doesn't have enough after market information about what they're selling. You may tell them to join here, they are very much welcome. Happy Holidays! I hope your issue will resolve without spending a penny.:) Keep safe!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the van at the dealership this past week, they replaced both sides sliding door motors, apparently there is a service bulletin about them having issues, and they were replaced at no charge,

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recently called Toronto Kia about my 2018 Sedona in regards to the passenger sliding door not closing at times, probably about 5 times now since newly purchased in November. They said there are no recalls or service nots currently on the doors. Will have an appointment next week to hopefully figure this intermittent issue.
Sucks that I have to do this for a new van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2016 Kia Sedona for the driver's side sliding door. I guess I'll need to take it to the Dealership to get it resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had my van looked at today at Toronto Kia after the passenger sliding door wasn’t locking shut. It was cold and snowing yesterday and my car was outside for a total of 4 hours or so.
The sliding door couldn’t close for atleast 5 minutes, even when closing it manually.
They had my car for about 3 hours and apparently they didn’t find anything wrong.
The weather is milder today so it could have been a factor. We have had the van since late November and it has done it about 8 times and I have noticed that it happens when with the cold weather. I have restored to video taping it when it happens and hope that it eventually will close.
Frustrating that Kia didn’t find anything wrong and I worry when this is going to happen next.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Had my van looked at today at Toronto Kia after the passenger sliding door wasn’t locking shut. It was cold and snowing yesterday and my car was outside for a total of 4 hours or so.
The sliding door couldn’t close for atleast 5 minutes, even when closing it manually.
They had my car for about 3 hours and apparently they didn’t find anything wrong.
The weather is milder today so it could have been a factor. We have had the van since late November and it has done it about 8 times and I have noticed that it happens when with the cold weather. I have restored to video taping it when it happens and hope that it eventually will close.
Frustrating that Kia didn’t find anything wrong and I worry when this is going to happen next.
Hi,

I have the same situation before. In cold weather, the door failed to shut completely until the problem is persistent. It ends up, KIA has a recall and replaced both doors failing components. It's a good idea to record if it happens again. Good luck! Keep safe and warm!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The track can buildup with ice, dirt, etc. The dealerships policy is usually, if they can’t replicate it, they won’t fix it. 2015, I’ve had both sides replaced, no problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got the motor replace to the passenger side sliding door at a Toronto Kia.
Everything covered under warranty.
Had to present some video to the service department and was then forwarded to Kia Canada.
Was happy that it was replaced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good for you Mizunogolfer! Scarboro Kia replaced the motor on same side under warranty a couple of weeks ago and it's working perfectly. It took a while for them to get the part though and had to keep calling them for update. They also provided me a rental free of charge (picked up an F-150) for a few days while the van was being serviced. Now that's service!

Just wondering, with all the cold and the snow that we've had over the past couple of months here, did you (or anyone else reading this thread) have an issue with power rear trunk not locking? I've had to disable the power locks and close trunk manually in order to close it properly, otherwise the van would chirp 10 times indicating that it's not fully closed. Might be a new thread for this issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No issues currently with the rear hatch.
Awesome how they provided you with a rental car while u waited.

Good for you Mizunogolfer! Scarboro Kia replaced the motor on same side under warranty a couple of weeks ago and it's working perfectly. It took a while for them to get the part though and had to keep calling them for update. They also provided me a rental free of charge (picked up an F-150) for a few days while the van was being serviced. Now that's service!

Just wondering, with all the cold and the snow that we've had over the past couple of months here, did you (or anyone else reading this thread) have an issue with power rear trunk not locking? I've had to disable the power locks and close trunk manually in order to close it properly, otherwise the van would chirp 10 times indicating that it's not fully closed. Might be a new thread for this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got both sliding door motor assemblies replaced under warranty. The driver’s side would start to open and then stop after about a foot thinking it had hit an obstruction and start closing. I had to force it open sometimes to use that door. My passenger side would make the grinding sound when it was shutting and the rear portion of the door would not latch. It took a second trip to the dealer because they couldn’t replicate the problem on the initial visit. They completed the work in a single day. When I was leaving, the service advisor told me they replace the motors on about 1 van per month at that dealer.

So far, everything is working great! So nice having functioning sliding doors!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am having this issue. My car is less than 2 years old and apparently the noise and failure to close properly is due to the motor going out. In my opinion a motor going out in less than 2 years is the result of a faulty or cheap motor. But at $600 per motor plus labor, they aren’t THAT cheap. I just put in a complaint with safercar.gov I would love for all of you to file a complaint too! Let’s get this faulty part recalled!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the motor replace to the passenger side sliding door at a Toronto Kia.
Everything covered under warranty.
Had to present some video to the service department and was then forwarded to Kia Canada.
Was happy that it was replaced.
I just got a 2018 Kia Sedona SX+ with 23000km on it. Now two weeks later the passenger sliding door make loud clunking noise as the door open or closes. Often while opening the passenger door the clunking is very loud and the movement stop and the door slide open again.

So I made a few videos of the problem to show Bessada Kia in Pickering next week. The vehicle is due for the 24000 km service too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, my 2015 SXL started doing the same thing with the passenger side door. I bought it this past summer CPO, so took it in to the dealer and had a new motor installed in a couple hours fully covered no problems. Now works like new. Even though I've had a couple minor issues being the first model year of the redesign, everything is covered and I love the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
South Africa. My 2015 SXL Grand Sedona has always had this problem; loud grinding and clunking noise when at the very last end of closing the passenger side sliding door - and lately the drivers side which means both doors have this irritating fault. This only happens when set on auto but no noise when closing manually. In addition the rear tailgate opens to the set clearance than sags badly on its struts. Dealer has always tried to fix at every service but not permanent. Am too exhausted ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts