Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2016 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kia rio 2016 hatchback, the A/C doesn't engage sometimes, I've noticed when this happens it won't display the outside temperature it just displays "---" to make it work I have to turn the fan switch from on to off multiple times, not the A/C switch, the fan one, after trying multiple times the A/C will start working, this happens only when the car is not use for a couple of hours and I get back to use it. I'm not sure if this is a fault in the A/C control , but I got them cleaned by a mechanic and the connectors were dirty , it worked for a few weeks and got back to the same. Or if maybe this is related to the outside temperature sensor or wiring, but when ever I check the sensor connector with a tester looks like everything is working. Anyone has experienced something like this? Any ideas what else could be.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
148 Posts
Did you test the temperature sensor when it shows "---"? Does it seem okay then also? Do you have a scanner that shows what temperature the car thinks it is outside when it shows "---"? The sensor output will be used for discharge temperature control, temperature regulation door control, blower motor level control, mix mode control and in-car humidity control.

·
Registered
2013 Rio LX 4-Door
45 Posts
What do you mean by "the A/C doesn't engage sometimes?" Are you saying the HVAC fan doesn't work... or are you saying the A/C compressor doesn't cycle ON... or are you saying the compressor cycles ON, but the air doesn't blow cold... or are you saying something else?????

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2016 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bruce, when I turn on the AC fan will work but the compressor won't , it just blow hot air, then after turning off and on multiple times the compressor works and blows cold air.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
974 Posts
Almost sounds like your push button 'on/off' switch is not making a full connection.
The system works, but only if you push the button multiple times.
Once it does work, does it stay on or shut off shortly thereafter?

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2016 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lou, yes it keeps on and working, but is not the on/off switch is the Fan on/off switch(knob). Thanks

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,461 Posts
From my understanding...The interior fan speed switch has nothing to do with turning on or off the A/C.
I'm wondering if there may be a language/terminology difficulty here in this thread. Does the OP get increasing interior fan speeds while the car is stationary and various fan speeds set? Or is there no COLD A/C when car is running(A/C engaged) but stationary? Just trying to figure out just what the actual complaint is....

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2016 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my car model to turn on or off I never use the A/C switch button I always use the fan speed to turn on and off, once the A/C start working I don't have any problems when stationary or driving. My guess is something to do with the climate control module, but like I mentioned before, the module was removed and cleaned and it worked for a while then the problem return.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
In my car model to turn on or off I never use the A/C switch button I always use the fan speed to turn on and off, once the A/C start working I don't have any problems when stationary or driving. My guess is something to do with the climate control module, but like I mentioned before, the module was removed and cleaned and it worked for a while then the problem return.
Is this an auto temp system or a manual select system? If you are not sure, your owners book will show both type systems and their controls. It would be helpful to know just which system, as also your market area vehicle may be different from N.American market features.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2016 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is a manual system and is a North America car. This is a picture of the climate control, the fan control with the 0-4 numbers is what I turn on and off multiple times to make it work.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I am not trying to be disrespectful. These controls are very similar to our 09 spectra other than bottom row controls are inside the round dials as "push button" function and outside dial controls look the same use as yours.
You posted that you had the control panel removed and "cleaned" in the past,how long ago? On our Spectra only if the interior fan speed is set to 0 would allow NO interior ventilation(interior fan shut off), and while driving would only allow "forced airflow" into the cabin. This is how these systems are supposed to work. Best that I can surmise is that your fan speed control contacts are worn and not making good contact to give the wanted interior fan and resulting A/C(as you seem to leave A/C engaged at all times(we don't with ours). So yes you may need a new control panel or take it back out and examine the fan speed contacts in the panel.
Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
974 Posts
One picture is worth a thousand words!

Reactions: MIA KIA 09

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Kia rio 2016 hatchback, the A/C doesn't engage sometimes, I've noticed when this happens it won't display the outside temperature it just displays "---" to make it work I have to turn the fan switch from on to off multiple times, not the A/C switch, the fan one, after trying multiple times the A/C will start working, this happens only when the car is not use for a couple of hours and I get back to use it. I'm not sure if this is a fault in the A/C control , but I got them cleaned by a mechanic and the connectors were dirty , it worked for a few weeks and got back to the same. Or if maybe this is related to the outside temperature sensor or wiring, but when ever I check the sensor connector with a tester looks like everything is working. Anyone has experienced something like this? Any ideas what else could be.
Yor comporesor clutch is about to die! Replace compressor!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,152 Posts
Yor comporesor clutch is about to die! Replace compressor!
No. The U.S. third generation Rio compressor doesn't work that way. It's a clutchless variable displacement compressor. Nothing in the description of his problem leads to the compressor itself being the problem. Seems to be an electrical issue.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2016 1.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, I'm in the process of replacing the outside temperature sensor the one that goes in front of the radiator, looks like that may be the problem because of the missing temperature reading and this triggers the not working A/C problem. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts