Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2016 Kia Optima last year and everything has been working great except for one thing. The steering wheel audio controls and handsfree mode don't work.

None of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel function at all. I know the feature is installed because when I get a call in my phone, it goes into handsfree mode, but the microphone isn't picking up any sound at all and I have to switch to speaker mode or answer my phone directly.

Is there some way to fix this myself or will I need to take it to an audio system professional?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Photo attached for clarification.

·
Registered
2021 sedona/carnival Lx
32 Posts
I had a hard time getting them to work on my 2021 sedona when I changed my radio but got them working if it's an aftermarket market radio I can help if it's stock they may have messed up wiring in harness or the buttons could have gone bad there's a way to test them with a ohm meter.

·
Registered
2021 sedona/carnival Lx
32 Posts
I know this may sound dumb but does the vehicle have tilt wheel? Have you tried the controls with it in different positions if it does have tilt? Also certain models have a reset button on the radio which rarely helps with steering controls but maybe one of the lucky ones. I'll pull up the link for testing controls with ohm readings in a few (I'm outta state at moment but about to hit hotel for night.)

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,798 Posts
You have a bad steering wheel switch.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
864 Posts
Check on the other side of the wheel for screws, you may be able to remove the screws to take switch out to replace it. Ebay should have the switches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts