Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I was trying to update the navigation system in my car. the current system tries to take me down one-ways and even through buildings. It also does not take all the way to an address. It will take me 1-2 blocks away oddly.

So, I am attempting to update. Upon formatting the SD card I realized that to download the software, I needed 32 gigs. The SD that came with the car is only 16. I already formatted the SD so it is completely wiped. What should I do? I am downloading the software to my PC hard drive. Can I transfer to any SD card that is 32 gig or it have to be the one that came with the car?

Really hoping I didn't just mess things up.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use any CLASS-10 32GB SD card, try Amazon for a choice. I just used generic CLASS-10 SD cards for my 2020 Sorento upgrade, worked fine.

SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 90MB/s

View attachment 119684
I used this exact one but the update failed. It said the update was damaged or missing. Should I try deleting it and reinstalling maybe? I know there's nothing wrong with the SD Card as I had many things on it and deleted them for this update.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
956 Posts
If the card is good, I can't imagine why it didn't work, the SanDisk stuff is normally decent quality.

Here's the exact card that's now cruising around in my Sorento with the current update on it.

Micro Center 32GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card SD Card (2 Pack)

I can't imagine the SanDisk card won't work, I bought these because they were cheap and CLASS-10 cards.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the card is good, I can't imagine why it didn't work, the SanDisk stuff is normally decent quality.

Here's the exact card that's now cruising around in my Sorento with the current update on it.

Micro Center 32GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card SD Card (2 Pack)

I can't imagine the SanDisk card won't work, I bought these because they were cheap and CLASS-10 cards.

I figured out the problem! When I downloaded the update, I downloaded to my computer HD because it said I could just transfer it to the SD. Well, you can do that, but there's no guarantee it will transfer properly. So i deleted it and re-installed it directly to the SD. I just updated it in the car and works great. It's a completely different look also. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
956 Posts
Interesting, I always just fire it right to the SD card, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want an extra step. :D

Now you must have the Purple Passion color scheme. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
40 Posts
I figured out the problem! When I downloaded the update, I downloaded to my computer HD because it said I could just transfer it to the SD. Well, you can do that, but there's no guarantee it will transfer properly. So i deleted it and re-installed it directly to the SD. I just updated it in the car and works great. It's a completely different look also. Thanks!
I struggled with the update as well. Took me 3 tries. I am adding a link to the steps I had to take here as I originally posted my fix in new members forum.
Welcome Message - New Member

1 - 8 of 8 Posts