Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, but I signed up specifically to address this issue that has happened to me. In fact, the service manager at the dealership that performed the update has told me 15 other Kia Soul owners have brought their vehicles back after having this exact update performed. He also said Kia has sent him several new updates since the initial one because they know about the issue.

I received the notice in the mail for the "Product Improvement Campaign" LOL!!! This is for the Kia Soul 2.0L ECU knock sensor software update. This is supposed to address potential engine wear to the... you guessed it! same as the 1.6L that have already been recalled...bearings and rods. I had zero issues with engine performance before this update, but hey I should have the update performed right?

Well, I took my vehicle in, had the update performed, and wouldn't you know it as I drive out of the dealer and begin to merge onto the highway I have my engine power cut off. The vehicle went into limp home mode, reduced my speed to 50 mph and wouldn't accelerate. Again, I must reiterate, I had zero issues before.

So, I take my car back to Kia and tell them what has happened. According to the dealer my vehicle wasn't going to be covered under the 120,000 mile extended warranty. I took out the paperwork from Kia and it says they will do 2 things. 1. Update software. 2. Extend warranty to 120,000 miles and repair any damage to the lower engine block. I tell the dealer they need to find out what has happened and repair any rod and bearing damage if it has occurred. They inspect my vehicle and tell me the issue is a "clogged" "catalyst" (incorrect term it is catalytic) converter. They want nearly $2k for the repair and say it isn't caused by the software update but just a coincidence. Ummm wrong again Bob.

It is clear that the 2.0L Souls are having the same issue as the 1.6L that have been recalled for this exact same issue. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I have filed a complaint with the NHSTA. I have talked to consumer affairs and that was a giant waste of time.

Is anybody else having this issue? What have you done about it?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems the dealership is getting multiple software updates from Kia. Nobody is familiar with this happening after the updates?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,619 Posts
... The vehicle went into limp home mode....
When a vehicle is put into limp mode by the ECM, the CEL comes on and one or more codes are set. So what codes were read by Kia when you brought it in to them? (they would be listed on your paperwork).

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When a vehicle is put into limp mode by the ECM, the CEL comes on and one or more codes are set. So what codes were read by Kia when you brought it in to them? (they would be listed on your paperwork).
Funny you ask. The CEL flashed on and off very rapidly when the car lost power and checked rpm's. The dealer says there are no codes in my system...Makes you go hmmm....

I argued with them that it had to have a code since it came on and off but they insisted there were no codes and that they can't do any work without codes.

I asked how they diagnosed the catalytic converter then and he said his technician must have visually inspected it. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So it sounds like you didn't have any work done to this vehicle after Kia's diagnosis - is that correct?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds like you didn't have any work done to this vehicle after Kia's diagnosis - is that correct?
That's correct. They are refusing to even check for lower engine damage without a code, even though the paperwork from Kia says that is one of the 2 things they will do for the "product improvement campaign".

And I cannot afford $2K for a catalytic converter replacement, if that is even the issue.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ok, here's what I recommend. First get a code reader - you can buy one online for around $20, or an OBD adapter and a phone app such as Torque for Android (the better choice IMO). Then pick up your vehicle from this stealership, and resume normal driving.

When the limp mode and flashing CEL (most likely) comes back soon, immediately get off the road and plug in your reader to check the code. If the code is the expected P1326, then take a photo of the code on the reader display, and also a short video of the flashing CEL. Then have it towed back to the dealer for the diagnosis of the actual problem.

You most likely won't even need to mention the photo and video, because they'll have the code to see for themselves. And you also will not hear them talking about the cat after that either.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, here's what I recommend. First get a code reader - you can buy one online for around $20, or an OBD adapter and a phone app such as Torque for Android (the better choice IMO). Then pick up your vehicle from this stealership, and resume normal driving.

When the limp mode and flashing CEL (most likely) comes back soon, immediately get off the road and plug in your reader to check the code. If the code is the expected P1326, then take a photo of the code on the reader display, and also a short video of the flashing CEL. Then have it towed back to the dealer for the diagnosis of the actual problem.

You most likely won't even need to mention the photo and video, because they'll have the code to see for themselves. And you also will not hear them talking about the cat after that either.
So, you don't believe it is the catalytic converter? The symptoms are it will not accelerate, kind of hesitates and jerks back and forth when I do try to accelerate quickly, and the rpms are revving up around 4k before shifting, if it will shift at all.

Again, this is all after the software update. I drive my car for a living for work. Never had an issue before the update.

To anyone with a Soul I would suggest waiting a couple of months until Kia can figure out a solution before getting this update. I think they are just throwing darts at a barn at this point.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So, you don't believe it is the catalytic converter? …
I cannot tell you the cat is problem free, so yes what Kia is telling you POSSIBLY is correct. I highly doubt it, but cannot say its impossible. But what I can say for certain is that limp mode with a flashing CEL is 99% certain to have been triggered by the Knock Sensor computer update that had been done to your vehicle. The big question in your particular case is why the CEL disappeared and no code present, when diagnosed by Kia. The only other flashing CEL that I'm aware of is major misfire, but that condition should always store one or more permanent codes as well. So with either problem, there should have been one or more codes present for Kia to read, so that's both puzzling and also somewhat suspicious to me.

When I made my previous suggestion, I had assumed that this vehicle was off the road. However, what you wrote in your last post makes me think that you have been driving it regularly following the visit to Kia. Is that correct, or am I misunderstand what you wrote? If you have been driving it, then roughly how long and how many miles have you put on it since the original flashing CEL incident took place? And also, the flashing CEL has not come back on since the original incident?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot tell you the cat is problem free, so yes what Kia is telling you POSSIBLY is correct. I highly doubt it, but cannot say its impossible. But what I can say for certain is that limp mode with a flashing CEL is 99% certain to have been triggered by the Knock Sensor computer update that had been done to your vehicle. The big question in your particular case is why the CEL disappeared and no code present, when diagnosed by Kia. The only other flashing CEL that I'm aware of is major misfire, but that condition should always store one or more permanent codes as well. So with either problem, there should have been one or more codes present for Kia to read, so that's both puzzling and also somewhat suspicious to me.

When I made my previous suggestion, I had assumed that this vehicle was off the road. However, what you wrote in your last post makes me think that you have been driving it regularly following the visit to Kia. Is that correct, or am I misunderstand what you wrote? If you have been driving it, then roughly how long and how many miles have you put on it since the original flashing CEL incident took place? And also, the flashing CEL has not come back on since the original incident?
Yes, I have been driving it. Albeit not very enjoyably. It is a stressful situation. I baby the accelerator. If I do not it will hesitate, stall, jerk, and start this metallic pinging. The last few times I have revved the engine enough to get this response the CEL has not flashed like it did the first time. To be clear, the CEL has never remained on, just rapidly flashing.

I am with you on the suspicion that there is no codes. The diagnostics continuous show codes from what I understand.

I have contacted another dealer local to me that is going to look at it tomorrow. They said this has happened with 4 updated 2.0L Souls recently and they found the knock sensor to be faulty. I was told replacement of the knock sensor solved their problems, but those vehicle were brought back in after the update with a CEL on. I do not have that fortune. We shall see what happens.

If this isn't handled by Kia as it should be then I will certainly be swearing off the brand. I am really disappointed in this experience.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul+
1 Posts
Yes, I have been driving it. Albeit not very enjoyably. It is a stressful situation. I baby the accelerator. If I do not it will hesitate, stall, jerk, and start this metallic pinging. The last few times I have revved the engine enough to get this response the CEL has not flashed like it did the first time. To be clear, the CEL has never remained on, just rapidly flashing.

I am with you on the suspicion that there is no codes. The diagnostics continuous show codes from what I understand.

I have contacted another dealer local to me that is going to look at it tomorrow. They said this has happened with 4 updated 2.0L Souls recently and they found the knock sensor to be faulty. I was told replacement of the knock sensor solved their problems, but those vehicle were brought back in after the update with a CEL on. I do not have that fortune. We shall see what happens.

If this isn't handled by Kia as it should be then I will certainly be swearing off the brand. I am really disappointed in this experience.
Hi,

I am exactly having the same issue. After the update on my 2016 2.0 liter kia soul +, engine malfunction light has come up. as mentioned, it came up after it hit the 65 mPh and now i have lost power (its in the limp mode)
So i go to dealrer?
I already chcked the code and it sP 1326

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
2 Posts
I am new here, but I signed up specifically to address this issue that has happened to me. In fact, the service manager at the dealership that performed the update has told me 15 other Kia Soul owners have brought their vehicles back after having this exact update performed. He also said Kia has sent him several new updates since the initial one because they know about the issue.

I received the notice in the mail for the "Product Improvement Campaign" LOL!!! This is for the Kia Soul 2.0L ECU knock sensor software update. This is supposed to address potential engine wear to the... you guessed it! same as the 1.6L that have already been recalled...bearings and rods. I had zero issues with engine performance before this update, but hey I should have the update performed right?

Well, I took my vehicle in, had the update performed, and wouldn't you know it as I drive out of the dealer and begin to merge onto the highway I have my engine power cut off. The vehicle went into limp home mode, reduced my speed to 50 mph and wouldn't accelerate. Again, I must reiterate, I had zero issues before.

So, I take my car back to Kia and tell them what has happened. According to the dealer my vehicle wasn't going to be covered under the 120,000 mile extended warranty. I took out the paperwork from Kia and it says they will do 2 things. 1. Update software. 2. Extend warranty to 120,000 miles and repair any damage to the lower engine block. I tell the dealer they need to find out what has happened and repair any rod and bearing damage if it has occurred. They inspect my vehicle and tell me the issue is a "clogged" "catalyst" (incorrect term it is catalytic) converter. They want nearly $2k for the repair and say it isn't caused by the software update but just a coincidence. Ummm wrong again Bob.

It is clear that the 2.0L Souls are having the same issue as the 1.6L that have been recalled for this exact same issue. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I have filed a complaint with the NHSTA. I have talked to consumer affairs and that was a giant waste of time.

Is anybody else having this issue? What have you done about it?
I have a 2015 Kia Soul with 88,000 miles, which was absolutely fine. I received the recall letter and took it to the dealer for the software update. Eighty miles later (thats 80 miles) the car went into limp mode on a major highway...fun. The car was towed back to the dealer for an exam. I got a call today, needs a new engine. Can the software update cause disaster? Waiting to hear from KIA within the next 48 hours to see if they will cover this. I am a second owner, and may be affected by this second owner warranty loop hole.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul 2.0L GDI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is all exactly what I’ve experienced. Shame on Kia. Never again will I even consider buying one of their cars

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
2 Posts
This is all exactly what I’ve experienced. Shame on Kia. Never again will I even consider buying one of their cars
So here is an update, Kia will cover a new engine and labor. Even though I am a second owner. So it seems worked out, for me anyway. The recall extended warranty does cover all owners, original or later owners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts