Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 50,000 miles
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Kia Sorento with 50K miles. Never had a problem in the world with it until I went out to start it this morning. Upon trying to start I just get a "click, click, click" from under the hood and the dashboard flashes with each click. Immediately thought, dead battery, right? Nope. Tested the battery and it's got a full charge (and also hooked up a charger, which immediately indicates full charge). Kept trying to start it and just got more clicking.

Went and did some Googling, and apparently this is a known problem and people have been advised by Kia to put the car in neutral and try to start it that way. I tried it and while it didn't immediately work, bounced back and forth between neutral and park a few times and it started right up. Let it run for a few minutes and shut it off and then went to start it again...same problem. So right now I can't start the car unless I do the whole neutral/park switcheroo. I'm nervous about driving it anywhere in case this happens the next time I turn it off and I can't get it started again.

Sooo, since this is apparently a known problem, has anyone heard what I should have a mechanic checking? Is it a known recall issue? Or is this something I can easily fix myself?

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
604 Posts
Sounds like a starter interlock switch that checks to see if the car is in neutral or park before allowing the starter to engage. But, before delving into that, make sure the battery cables are clean and tight and then make sure you are doing a load test on the battery, not just a voltage check. I've seen many a battery show 13+ volts but when load is applied, it drops immediately to 9-10 volts. Good luck with getting it corrected quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Battery, although it may show fully charged....could still be defective. As TOM4416 noted, 13.8 volts does not mean 650CCA when you try to use it. So definitely check the connections on the battery and if its 4 or more years old, ( you didnt mention if thats the original battery or not) its almost due anyway since average is around 5 years. Also I am not sure what the temperature was when you tried to start it. CCA comes into play even more if its colder than normal out.

I wouldnt rule out the interlock either. But if you hear the clicking in park, its trying to start, if it was the interlock you probably wouldnt hear anything when trying to start.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
If it is under warranty, get it to the dealer.
If you monkey with it and then take it in they will claim you mucked it up and not honor the warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
611 Posts
Have a real load test done on the battery (for free at AutoZone or somewhere like that). To me, it's actually odd that your charger indicated a full charge right away. I would get a new charger/maintainer. For reference, I replaced my 2016's battery last fall, since the load test showed it was barely reaching whatever the CCA spec was. Batteries these days tend to not last as long as they used to imo.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
665 Posts
Have a real load test done on the battery (for free at AutoZone or somewhere like that). To me, it's actually odd that your charger indicated a full charge right away. I would get a new charger/maintainer. For reference, I replaced my 2016's battery last fall, since the load test showed it was barely reaching whatever the CCA spec was. Batteries these days tend to not last as long as they used to imo.
I would just replaced it proactively. It's on its last legs no matter what. No sense of getting stranded even if there's a small chance that's not what's wrong with her car.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Soul, 2016 Kia Sorento
112 Posts
When I had this exact same behavior on my old Sedona van, it was the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts