Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento, 2.4 liter, awd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Sorento 4 4 cylinder w/102000 miles. Normal driving around 40 mph and heard a sound almost like a turbo blowing off. Car dies and we rolled into a parking lot. Battery checks out good, (its only 6 months old) so I attempted to start the car. Starter was struggling to turn the motor and it did not offer to fire up. Had it delivered via flatbed truck to my house and now it won't even engage the starter. I'm at a loss. Any ideas welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,753 Posts
If the battery is good and it cant crank the engine, use a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and see if it will turn by hand - if not it is likely the timing chain or tensioner has failed and the pistons are up against the open valves.
If it does turn over by hand, look in the oil filler cap to see if the cams are also rotating.

A little puzzled by the comment "won't even engage the starter" - is there any response, clicking, any sign that its trying to turn such as the lights dip?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery reads 12.3 volts. Inserting key and turning it forward will not do anything. You can't hear the fuel pump and a full turn of the key gives no noise. There is just silence. The internal and dash lights stay lit and the oil and battery lights are on.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,753 Posts
Battery reads 12.3 volts. Inserting key and turning it forward will not do anything. You can't hear the fuel pump and a full turn of the key gives no noise. There is just silence. The internal and dash lights stay lit and the oil and battery lights are on.
I recommend that you try a jump start from a known good battery.

It doesn't sound like the starter is engaging, so cant tell if the engine is locked up - would still be good to see if you can turn it by hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend that you try a jump start from a known good battery.

It doesn't sound like the starter is engaging, so cant tell if the engine is locked up - would still be good to see if you can turn it by hand.
Definitely going to try moving it by hand. We did try the jump start and still got nothing. Will update once I know if it will move.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
If it turns OK by hand, do think about several other reasons for exactly the behavior you are experiencing -- things that prevent starting intentionally when they're working, but unintentionally when they fail.

e.g., neutral safety switch (aka transaxle range switch - what gear are you in? - on the tranny), brake switch, and several others. Check to see if you have brake lights (not sure-fire, since it's two parallel switches, but a total mechanical bind of the actuator for both won't allow a start). Try starting in neutral rather than park to see what the tranny switch does. May take some imagination.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
775 Posts
Were it not for your issue while actually driving the car, I would immediately think tranny interlock switch. But, when a car goes down while driving and then won't even turn over the motor, thoughts immediately go to catastrophic failure so you really need to try and rotate that engine with a proper socket and breaker bar for leverage. If you remove the sparkplugs, it should turn manually fairly easily although you can still turn it with the plugs in. Good luck, hope it's something really dumb and easy to fix. If it is the motor, look into all the information here about failures of the 4 cylinder engine, the replacement available from Kia with lifetime warranties at no charge. No clue if yours fits, but worth researching if it's a catastrophic failure of the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts