Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 kia rio, I probably drive it more than most rio owners any given day to commute for work.
My engine light came on the day I was going to get the inspection renewed, the catalytic converter was coming up when I scanned the system.
I replaced the spark plugs and reset the engine light, it passed inspection with no issues eventually and the light stayed off so I figured I was good at that.
A few days ago my check engine light came on again and scanned with the same issue. I used cataclean on it and the engine light turned off on its own within a couple hours. 30 minutes later my car started sputtering with a drag in exceleration and then misfired. Before it happened it almost seemed like it was running some kind of sludge through the engine for a couple minutes.
The engine light started blinking during the misfire and then went off again. It also started shaking a bit as I accelerated.
I couldn't pull over on the road I was on and got home within a few minutes. It is now running on 3 cylinders and needs a coil which I am replacing after work.
I'm trying to troubleshoot the issue without replacing the catalytic converter itself, if the misfire didn't cause more damage to it than it already had.
Does anyone have a list they might suggest I can check off before replacing the entire thing? Does it sound like I'm on the right path?
Anything you feel like I should know or check next?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,612 Posts
That high mileage unfortunately eliminates the Fed emissions warranty on the cat. You didn't mention the actual code, but if it's a P0420, then it will be very unlikely eliminated by anything other than a new cat. Some folks try replacing the downstream O2 sensor first, and every once in a great while that actually does get rid of the P0420. Up to you if you want to (probably) waste some $$ on a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Rio LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That high mileage unfortunately eliminates the Fed emissions warranty on the cat. You didn't mention the actual code, but if it's a P0420, then it will be very unlikely eliminated by anything other than a new cat. Some folks try replacing the downstream O2 sensor first, and every once in a great while that actually does get rid of the P0420. Up to you if you want to (probably) waste some $$ on a shot in the dark.

Thank you

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
498 Posts
I got that code last month. Scanned it and cleared it. Went and filled up with top tier gas (Shell) instead of the mistake I made using Husky with 10% ethanol one time before this happened. It's been fine since. I drive Uber and do about 5000 KM a month FWIW.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX / 2017 Kia Sorento LX / 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
26 Posts
I just replaced my cat due to the P0420 code...

Wasn't having any issues running but it was clogging... someone the inside melted and restricted the cat.

$1500 repair in Fredericksburg, VA for the Manifold amd Front CAT on my 2012 with 179000 miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.