Kia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,778 Posts
Do you mind me asking what the tax, fees and license costs were? I got a quote for the FE model $24,060 MSRP -$1200, -$500 Kia Financing, but then tax was $1500 (rounded up), documentary fee was $599 and license and fees was $595 for a total of $25,012. Do the fees seem normal? I can't seem to remember when I bought my 2012 Sportage EX that the standard price was several thousand more than the base price after all the fees were added up.
Each state will be different with respect to sales/use tax and license title. The dealer can't fool around with those.

The doc fee I paid was $150. That's where the dealer can pad the price.

My suggestion: get a quote from another dealer and check their doc fees........................

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Anyone think there will be a turbo model of this at some point or if there would be an aftermarket turbo kit for a Niro or is that just being silly?
Never and silly.............

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Does that chrome trim window kit include the top or just the bottom? Weird the picture just displays chrome on the back upper wrap around and the bottom trim with black on the top edge.

Also does this just stick onto the rubber weatherstripping? Once it's on how would you clean or condition the rubber underneath?

I might get something like this for my Sportage EX as I always thought it looked weird with the chrome side panel and everything else is black. Plus the black weather stripping has those spots that never come off even after using back to black.
The US models on the top is chrome. Yes, it is adhesive tape applied. Don't care about the rubber underneath after that,

On my Sprotage EX, I had all the pillars with Chrome attached the same way for 6 years and looked as good as when applied when I traded it in.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I did a test drive on a Crimson Red FE base model today. Seems pretty nice but my only concern is lack of power since I am used to my Sportage EX with 173hp and the Niro is 139hp. Maybe it didn't help that the salesperson drove with me and he looked to be about 300-350# of extra dead weight. For those that have one can they attest this will be decent enough to get onto freeways without struggling to get up to 75mph?
The Niro in ECO mode will be slower than the Sportage.

Move the shift lever to SPORT and it will accelerate faster than your Sportage. The Electric motor has instant peak torque.

Check the torque figues..............

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
The Niro in ECO mode will be slower than the Sportage.

Move the shift lever to SPORT and it will accelerate faster than your Sportage. The Electric motor has instant peak torque.

Check the torque figues..............
Shifting it into sport mode just makes it the manual slushbox or whatever they call it when you manually shift. On my Sportage it doesn't seem like it changes the timing or the output at all, just that I can control the shifting quicker than the preset shifting in eco mode, Is this the same in the Niro?

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Shifting it into sport mode just makes it the manual slushbox or whatever they call it when you manually shift. On my Sportage it doesn't seem like it changes the timing or the output at all, just that I can control the shifting quicker than the preset shifting in eco mode, Is this the same in the Niro?
No, I thought you drove one. Not like my Sportage.

In Sport mode you change manually select gears but if you just pull the shift lever to the left and do not manually change the gears it changes the engine/electric motor, transmission and steering mapping and it's like driving a different vehicle.

but it will cost you in MPG.....................

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
ah thanks. I thought I was right but while I was in Sport mode, the fat ass salesman basically said "once you are in this mode you have to shift" so I assumed it was the same as my Sportage. I only went into manually shifting to see if it still did it, so I didn't try it from a stopped position either. Hell, half the test drive the salesman was driving it!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
I'm guessing the salesman was also talking out of his fatt a$$ when I asked about the regenerative braking and he said the Niro is completely different and didn't use regenerative braking like other hybrids and when I asked him the question I asked here about when the comes on he just said "it's like magic as it ia all automatic". To this day I still don't know if the engine comes on at say 35mph if you are city driving or if it is closer to 50mph.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I'm guessing the salesman was also talking out of his fatt a$$ when I asked about the regenerative braking and he said the Niro is completely different and didn't use regenerative braking like other hybrids and when I asked him the question I asked here about when the comes on he just said "it's like magic as it ia all automatic". To this day I still don't know if the engine comes on at say 35mph if you are city driving or if it is closer to 50mph.
Told my salesman I would take a quiz about the Niro against a team of all their salesman. and whip their ass.

The choice between power sources or whether to use both is based on what mode you are in, throttle postion, whether hill climbing, hill descending or flat and what the state of charge the battery is in.

Thre is regenerative braking and it appears that shifting down on a down hill to maintain something close to the speed limit got me a higher battery charge than braking down the same hill.

It is interesting to watch the display of power flow source and direction on the center console display....

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
ah thanks. I thought I was right but while I was in Sport mode, the fat ass salesman basically said "once you are in this mode you have to shift" so I assumed it was the same as my Sportage. I only went into manually shifting to see if it still did it, so I didn't try it from a stopped position either. Hell, half the test drive the salesman was driving it!
Drive one again somewhere else. Try from a stop in Eco and from a stop in Sport.

I haven't driven it to check suspension/handling specifically but just shifting into Sport going uphill gives you an extra goose.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
On the FE model the eco charge and power gauge were to the left of the speedo. There is no center display of these parameters on the center screen on this base model

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
On the FE model the eco charge and power gauge were to the left of the speedo. There is no center display of these parameters on the center screen on this base model
The LCD screen to the left of the speeddometer has 5 changeable modes., Fuel economy, Trip A/B, Digital Speedometer and other, Driving Info and Energy Flow (which shows 11 modes of the present operating condition. Thes are changed with the controls on the upper right of the steering wheel. There are also screenss for Service, tire pressure and user settings.

Energy flow modes: Vehicle stop, EV propulsion, gas power assist, gas only, gas energy generation with vehicle stopped, regeneration from braking, regeneration from engine braking, gas griving with battery charging, slowing by braking and engine compression while (3 modes). The graphics are not as good as the center console graphics but do show what is happening.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Depending on your abilities www.truecar.com will either give you a reasonable price or a good place to start negotiations......
I tried that based on you mentioning it earlier in this thread. I got the certificate but it never had an actual price it just said take certificate to dealer. I even called Truecar and they said that is normal. I have to ask what's the point of Truecar if you have to go to the dealer before getting a price from the app?

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I tried that based on you mentioning it earlier in this thread. I got the certificate but it never had an actual price it just said take certificate to dealer. I even called Truecar and they said that is normal. I have to ask what's the point of Truecar if you have to go to the dealer before getting a price from the app?
Hmm is it a small town?

Try nearby city zip codes that have multiple dealers. If truecar has no sales by their dealers there will be no established price.

2 weeks ago my zip code had no values either because the Niro was brand new but now it shows discounted prices.

The prices range from $600-700 less than MSRP for the 4 models in my zip code based on sales (which aren't many yet). I did a lot better than that but had to travel 170 miles to a cooperating dealer.

Any Kia incentive savings would be on top of that.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
I did my zip code where I live (Sarasota) and then also the zip codes in the Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersberg areas. I do remember either on the app or online on my PC a couple of prices but it was like an estimate or something but they were all over the MSRP from Kia. But once I selected the 3 dealers I just got a certificate with no price details at all.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I think the map light is already LED in the touring.

Since it had yellow light, I was sure it wasn't an LED. Kia advertising screw up although the manual says LED.

Replaced my map lights, license plate lights, vanity mirror lights with LEDs today.

Still waiting for the Luggage and Room Lamp LED's to arrive.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Package
49 Posts
njerald, I got my mirror yesterday from a 2014 Kia Optima. If you could share the Kia Tech instructions for removing the trim near the mirror, I plan on wiring it in this weekend and installing. Any tips are appreciated. My mirror came with 4 wires, grey, tan, green and black. Assuming black is ground and the others are ACC/constant and or a feed for something else.

Which wires from the Niro under the trim did you tie into and what color was ground and switched power?

81 - 100 of 121 Posts