Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 KIA Sorento 2.4L IL-4-Cyl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Sorento has been turning lights on randomly, I lock my car and check to make sure the lights are off every time and they always are off once I shut the door and lock it for the night. However at random times the 3 orange LEDs, the LED accent light above the headlight bulbs, and the entire rear end light up. Also the radio turns on randomly during the night usually at full volume on my last played SXM station (even though I normally listen to a USB), All my steering controls (Cruise, Vol +/-, etc) do something completely different. The Vol + button use to make the car accelerate at an unstoppable rate (I hit 120mph+ before turning the key off to make it stop) I have learned to simply not use the steering wheel controls. That however was just a one time event (so far). I found out today that 99% of the steering controls now just make the radio try to pair a Bluetooth device. I have spent the last few months diagnosing and have ruled out a few things but still no solution. So I live in an apartment complex, I have ruled out any other key fobs, garage door openers, and well basically any other IR, RF, UHF, Bluetooth, etc devices in the area by going to a VERY remote area and shutting the car off locking it and well....waiting, and before you know it the exterior lights mentioned kick on. Also changed the car battery a month back since this entire problem ruined my old battery, so I had the car without 12v DC for about an hour. Thought that might reset the ECU or something but again another failure. Also should mention that the radio doesn't always come on when the exterior lights do. Sometimes its just the exterior lights, or exterior lights and the radio buttons, or sometimes the exterior lights, radio buttons, and the radio at 100%. I know this is a lot but figured I'd show my entire hand so you all know what I have. Any one have any ideas PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
I pay attention to your problem since I have what seems to be the same car.....but what is your mileage ?..did you buy the car new ? .and I never tried but doubt mine could reach 120mph....
..do you have keyless start ?
...and my first suspect would be the BCM...body control module...
..the steering buttons are a common problem ..in my case minor, related to cruise control...I stop the car, turn steering fully left then fully right...then to center and usually all thighs return to normal....the "clockspring" it the culprit, (complete unit available online).
...and....after 5 years. I you made me discover the LED accent light above the headlight bulbs ..I had not noticed before... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2015 KIA Sorento 2.4L IL-4-Cyl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMP,
No keyless start, 201k miles, used at 139k miles. This "clock spring" could be causing my lights to turn on randomly? I'm no mechanic by a long shot but I don't see how it is related. Guess that's why I'm no mechanic lol that and I don't know what that even is.
The only reason I noticed the accent lighting is well.... above and 3 am lol it looks good just not so good at 3 am and waking to a dead car. But glad I could help spread the word of the design :)
But my KIA is I guess the low end package, I got power locks and windows and all the little things, but nothing I consider the high end like heated seats, mirrors, backup cams, navigation unit, etc.
I shall try the steering wheel all the way left, right, then center tomorrow and see what that is.
As far as the BCM that sounds like a lot more than my tinkering skills can handle.

My cruise controls work sometimes, very rare, it appears I can turn cruise on, but the cancel and set buttons are the same so... kind of useless.

If I think of it I'll grab a picture of it the next time she lights up. So far....... it hasn't done the lights on thing for the last 36 hours or so but I know it will happen again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts