Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2015 Sorento used a year ago. It has always had a very soft/mushy suspension which I have wanted to replace or upgrade. Now it has started to even bottom out in some of the dips in the local roadways under normal driving conditions. I have searched the forums without much luck into upgrades to this suspension. Even searches among the autoparts sites don't provide much if anything at all. Has anyone upgraded their shocks and struts with any luck? Anyone have any links they can share?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
116 Posts
It looks like Parts Geek and Rock Auto have replacement shocks and struts. Check your sway bar links as well when replacing the suspension. I'm on my 3rd pair in the front and 2nd in the rear from normal driving.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
696 Posts
Anything that bad is unsafe to drive. You cannot control the vehicle and likely get involved in an accident. Have your mechanic inspect or other garage for whats wrong. You may have multiple failed point all needed repair/replacement to resolve this.

Reactions: fishslab

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like Parts Geek and Rock Auto have replacement shocks and struts. Check your sway bar links as well when replacing the suspension. I'm on my 3rd pair in the front and 2nd in the rear from normal driving.
Thanks. I had checked Rock Auto in the past and they either had nothing or one shock in stock. I see now they have a couple offerings. So I'll look into that more. I was hoping for an upgrade to stock, but it doesn't look like anyone offers that.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything that bad is unsafe to drive. You cannot control the vehicle and likely get involved in an accident. Have your mechanic inspect or other garage for whats wrong. You may have multiple failed point all needed repair/replacement to resolve this.
I appreciate the concern, but I don't believe it's so severe that it's not road worthy. It's just that if I know a dip, speed bump, or railroad crossing is coming up I slow way down to try and keep from bottoming out where I would not have to worry about that in my other vehicles.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
411 Posts
IMO the soft springs are designed to give it a luxury car feel. I usually don't slow for speed bumps nor RR tracks with my GMC. The Sorento bottoms every time if I don't baby it. Many that pull heavy trailer loads have to add bags to rear springs to correct the sag.
There is not a lot of ,if any, actual performance aftermarket stuff for this line as it doe not seem to be a popular add-on performance vehicle.

Reactions: fishslab

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO the soft springs are designed to give it a luxury car feel. I usually don't slow for speed bumps nor RR tracks with my GMC. The Sorento bottoms every time if I don't baby it. Many that pull heavy trailer loads have to add bags to rear springs to correct the sag.
There is not a lot of ,if any, actual performance aftermarket stuff for this line as it doe not seem to be a popular add-on performance vehicle.
I was kind of thinking that the Sorento may come with a soft suspension to begin with. That makes me worry that if I go with one of the very few replacement options out there that "restore factory ride" I'll end up with the same exact ride I have now.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
116 Posts
Thanks. I had checked Rock Auto in the past and they either had nothing or one shock in stock. I see now they have a couple offerings. So I'll look into that more. I was hoping for an upgrade to stock, but it doesn't look like anyone offers that.
Not sure who manufactures Kia's OEM shocks and struts, but Rock Auto carries KYB shocks and struts for the Kia. Pretty decent IMO. As for the ride. All the reviews I read and watched stated the suspension was stiff I can attest to that as our 2014 definitely rides stiffer than other SUVs I've driven.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure who manufactures Kia's OEM shocks and struts, but Rock Auto carries KYB shocks and struts for the Kia. Pretty decent IMO. As for the ride. All the reviews I read and watched stated the suspension was stiff I can attest to that as our 2014 definitely rides stiffer than other SUVs I've driven.
Thanks for that info! That makes me feel better about replacing them. I saw the KYBs listed yesterday after replies to this post and will probably go that route. I will continue to watch this thread for a few days first just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts