Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a pre purchase inspection on a 2015 Sedona LX that I may buy. 122k miles. Regular oil changes and maintenance at dealer. Recent tune up (belts and plugs)

I saw evidence of a slight oil leak (oil pan was slightly greasy and dirty) and mechanic showed me on the rack that it may be leaking from the timing cover or upper oil pan.

1.Could this be a stuck PCV valve? Or does the bottom of the engine need to come out for a re-seal on the timing chain cover and upper oil pan? Latter option is really expensive obviously. It seems the engine is holding oil just fine (no visible change in level).

2. Could blue devil work for such a minor leak? I don't believe it's the engine oil switch as that seems to result in what looks like a rear engine leak. This is definitely from somewhere in the front.

3. Mechanic seemed to think it was minor, marked "Fair" on the report, and said it wasn't a drivability issue. He seemed to advocate checking the oil level and watching for spots. However, I wonder if it's possible to be proactive.

4. Lastly, would you buy such a vehicle? Asking price is $9000 (no sales tax here) It's from a private party. Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,495 Posts
It's not all that unusual to find reports of pan leaks on Kia/Hyundai vehicles. My Forte had an oil pan seep leak fairly early on, which turns out to have been caused by pan bolts loosening up and allowing the RTV seal to crack. I repaired that leak with an external solution, and that MIGHT be a possibility on this vehicle as well, but that's a DIY activity and I have no idea if you're into this type of thing. And of course either pan seal can be repaired by a DIYer for a very small amount of $$. Not a terribly hard job for anyone with moderate DIY skills.

AFA the price, JMO but I feel that mileage is really high for a 5 year old vehicle, and the current owner should be docked for that extra wear and tear. If you're someone who is willing to dicker, I'd play hardball (the mileage and oil leak, plus anything else from the inspection) and go up to no more than $6K. If that seems way too low, you need to consider that car dealers typically only look for low mileage vehicles, and won't give much for a high mileage vehicle such as this one. Yes, someone else might come along and be willing to pay more, but (again IMO) you're not losing out on a great deal if that should happen.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not all that unusual to find reports of pan leaks on Kia/Hyundai vehicles. My Forte had an oil pan seep leak fairly early on, which turns out to have been caused by pan bolts loosening up and allowing the RTV seal to crack. I repaired that leak with an external solution, and that MIGHT be a possibility on this vehicle as well, but that's a DIY activity and I have no idea if you're into this type of thing. And of course either pan seal can be repaired by a DIYer for a very small amount of $$. Not a terribly hard job for anyone with moderate DIY skills.

AFA the price, JMO but I feel that mileage is really high for a 5 year old vehicle, and the current owner should be docked for that extra wear and tear. If you're someone who is willing to dicker, I'd play hardball (the mileage and oil leak, plus anything else from the inspection) and go up to no more than $6K. If that seems way too low, you need to consider that car dealers typically only look for low mileage vehicles, and won't give much for a high mileage vehicle such as this one. Yes, someone else might come along and be willing to pay more, but (again IMO) you're not losing out on a great deal if that should happen.
Thanks for the reply. I have done a fair amount of work on my previous vehicle, a 1990 isuzu pickup, which I bought with the intention of learning. I was hoping this one wouldn't be a project, I just want a reliable trouble free vehicle. I think I could put it on some ramps and try and seal the leaks, also might be worth switching the PCV valve since that's a cheap part. I'm not sure if it's worth it for $9,000 though. He seems firm on that price.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
…. I was hoping this one wouldn't be a project, I just want a reliable trouble free vehicle....
Again JMO, but I believe that ANY vehicle that's into this mileage range is in the category of having 'things' happen (things being anything). Now living where you do will likely mean no rust, which is a very big plus. But nevertheless $hit happens, and age and mileage typically brings more of it. But it makes all the difference in the world if you can, and are willing to DIY, because of course the amount of repair $$ you spend will normally be very reasonable.

I didn't bother checking the 'book' value of this vehicle (including mileage and condition) but I'd expect that you did, so post that in order for everyone to know exactly where the 9K asking price really is.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true—I do my own oil changes (on the isuzu differential and transfer case as well) and replace things like thermostats, valve cover gaskets, radiators/hoses.. the easy stuff. So I would probably do that on any vehicle now that I know how. What I don't want are major drivetrain issues (such as major seal engine leaks) I can't DIY happening more than once every couple years. Not sure if that's reasonable. The Blue Book for this vehicle is $7350 to $8627. Currently it is listed on Craigslist for $11k, but I talked him down to $9k.

It may be worth noting it was first a rental car, and then this owner used it to drive for Uber—thus, high mileage stop and go city driving... I don't think I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the input

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,256 Posts
If the vehicle being sold has a few obvious things that need attention, to me it creates an impression that the owner wasn't too good on its upkeep throughout its life - I'd still look at it, but with a finer tooth comb.

Reactions: rivrwind

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
... I don't think I'm gonna go for it. ...
I think you're making the right decision on this one, and best of luck with your search for a good vehicle!

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
245 Posts
Oil pan gasket seepage is not uncommon. OTOH, any oil leak higher up from the engine block carries with it the likelihood the engine has overheated. I too think you made the right call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts