Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 kia sedona
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife blew the engine on her 2015 sedona. I was going to pick one up at a junkyard rather than rebuilding the old one. Does anyone know if I should pull the engine/transmission or If I can just pull the block itself? Any advice is welcome thank you guys in advance

·
Registered
2015 kia sedona
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I was not going to ask the entirely snarky question "How much is a new wife?" No, not at all. But I would like to know how one blows a modern engine...
Yea, I was thinking of the cost analysis between replacing the engine or replacing her. Turns out its cheaper to keep her unfortunately. I was working out of town and she decided she was gonna pull a 16' uhaul trailer from Northern Kansas back here to Houston. If only youd have seen my face when she told me. Obviously didnt marry her for her brains lol

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
217 Posts
If pulling that 16ft trailer blew the engine, are you sure the tranny is still good? I would've thought the tranny would die first before the engine.

Anyhow, if you are replacing the entire engine, you'll have to disconnect everything (coolant hoses, wiring harnesses, exhaust, etc.). So, it would be easier to drop the whole FWD drivetrain first. When you split the tranny out, you have to support it very well so as not to put too much load on the engine output shaft, or you'll risk damaging the support bearings for that output shaft. Don't ask me how I know. It's doable on the car, but a lot easier with the whole assembly out of the car.

BTW, sounds like your wife is a keeper. Good for you. I still remember the time I was towing an empty 12ft trailer, with my wife following me in her own car. Just as we were coming into town, we ran into some traffic and she got cut off and fell behind. We had 2-way radios, so we still kept in contact. After a short while though, her radio signal started to weaken, so I asked her exactly where she were. She answered: "I'm right behind you." I looked at my rearview mirrors and told her: "No, you're not!" Well... turned out she followed another white truck towing an empty trailer onto a different off ramp. 20yrs later, I still bring up that story; it's a favorite with the kids.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
147 Posts
Wow, so the trailer was more than the 3500 lbs tow rating? Keep us updated as to components and costs.

I do have some sympathy: One time, after stopping to pay a toll, I was rocketing along the highway when I realized the manumatic shifter was still in first and, just as I reached for it.... (What engineer thought it was clever to have the manumatic downshift when slowing but not warn you or autoshift up to avoid engine issues. That said: Nothing that happened in this case was permanent.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interested about this, I pull our 19' hybrid camper, its about 3000pounds,

We went ottawa/florida straight and back with it, the engine did fine but would sometimes rev near 5k rpm when uphill at 65-70mph. overall it was 2 30 hour drives with many gas stops... rarely rev'd under 2500 rpm unless going on a slight downgrade

Daris : I also get the same with the manual shifter. I will stop at a light in first and realise its in 1st when I get to 4k rpm, once I wanted to pass a car with this and I wanted to go back in regular, but pushed it in neutral so I was beside that car redlining the car in neutral... the car would just scream and then I pushed it back it D and it took off LOL...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo
214 Posts
My wife blew the engine on her 2015 sedona. I was going to pick one up at a junkyard rather than rebuilding the old one. Does anyone know if I should pull the engine/transmission or If I can just pull the block itself? Any advice is welcome thank you guys in advance
This site will really help you out man, But I would add, It is easier if you remove the front bumper, headlights, and radiator support, all though not necessary. But If you do, it is a lot easier on the knees and back. I use a manual Motorcycle lift (a table jack) to support from the bottom, and with the whole front removed I can just roll it out. (I put the front tires on some cinder block for a red neck lift effect.) Kia Sedona: Engine And Transaxle Assembly Repair procedures - Engine And Transaxle Assembly - Engine Mechanical System - Kia Sedona YP Service Manual

1 - 7 of 7 Posts