Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX 2.6L V6 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have 2015 Kia Sorento SX V6.

I am writing this from the side of the road in the middle of Northern Ontario, Canada, as I wait for a tow truck driver to bring me to the nearest dealership.

I came across this thread in which the original poster describes, to a tee, the EXACT same issues I am currently having: worrisome problem eluding fix -any ideas?

I have had this problem intermittently for 3 weeks now, and have had the starter solenoid, fuel pump solenoid, and throttle body replaced, all to no avail. After scrolling through the thread, and seeing other symptoms that match mine ("lurching" out of cruise control, troubles starting the car, etc) I saw that the final conclusion was that it was a wiring harness that needed replacing.

I never saw any updates on that thread, so I wanted to post here in hopes that a) perhaps that original poster will see this thread and provide an update, or b) more realistically, someone will come along that has also experienced these issues and can confirm if wiring harness is the issue.

It is such an intermittent problem that doesn't really throw any codes, and sometimes the problem doesn't happen and sometimes it does, making it hard to diagnose. Would love to hear any others feedback on this.

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,098 Posts
I don't know unless your harness has be chew by mice or other little munching beasts. A lot of those cases across brands. If the battery isn't charging and low voltage level was reached all that can happen. You cannot go my the idiot light. You need full time battery voltage status to see what is happening.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Plant Personal luxury car

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know unless your harness has be chew by mice or other little munching beasts. A lot of those cases across brands. If the battery isn't charging and low voltage level was reached all that can happen. You cannot go my the idiot light. You need full time battery voltage status to see what is happening. View attachment 125835
Thanks for the reply. I believe it is still the original battery in there, and am planning to get that replaced regardless today. When this has happened previously, we tried a booster pack on the battery to see if we could get the car started that way but to no avail. However I suppose if the battery is old, perhaps the booster pack would be useless anyway?

In any case, I will chat with the tech today and see what they think. I can't help but feel it is electrical, not engine related, so whether its the battery or wiring harness (or both), hopefully we can get it solved.

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,098 Posts
If it was a tow truck booster and didn't. They're top notch. Others vary. You didn't indicate if it cranked over easily or at all. Many reasons why it would run though. Hopefully you have codes to indicate areas

Good luck.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as an update to this:

Got towed to dealership yesterday, scanned and got P0601, so the mechanic refreshed the PCM, and put in a new battery upon my request. Managed to drive it for 154km, then same issues again. To reiterate, here are the issues:

• Trouble turning car over, when it does eventually turn over usually stalls several times before maintaining steady RPM
  • Car lurches/hesitates sporadically at any speed, almost feels like it stalls out for half a second. When these mini stalls happen, the Check Engine light and Key Immobilizer flash once, approximately the same length as the hesitation (i.e. approx half second). Sometimes only CEL blinks, but most of the time it's both
  • Occasionally, these hesitations will turn into a full out stall, where I lose engine power completely and have to shift into Neutral to try to recrank car (and then see point #1)
  • When these hesitations happen, it removes my ability to use cruise control. I can turn on cruise control, but I cannot set it (although Occasionally I see the "Set" light very briefly blink, but doesn't stay on)
  • Occasionally but less common, the CEL will stay on, and car will seem to run fine. Hard to tell what is causing what though, since this issue is so intermittent.
So, this is now three mechanics, with three different "fixes", all amounting to no progress. Again, I can't help but think back to the poster in the thread I linked in my OP where they had the exact same issues and had MANY things changed before the wiring harness was changed and I THINK that solved their issue.

Its Labours day weekend here, so dealership is closed until Tuesday. I am supposed to be driving to Edmonton to start a work contract there on the 12th of September, and this lack of reliability is really putting a damper in that.

Anyone have further ideas? Is there any way to contact people on this forum? I wish I could hear from the original poster in the thread I linked, to hear if they ever experienced the issue again.

· Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
2,098 Posts
I think you have a bad ground connection. One or more, likely from corrosion. Check and clean all you find. There are multiple ground points in the harness. Drivers fender side was one used plus others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts