Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Rondo
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly parents weren't able to open the door to their Rondo with their key fobs. Turns out the battery was dead, so they called BCAA and they came by to jump start the car. Then they noticed the radio was dead.

They drove the car to the local Kia dealer and had the battery replaced then drove home. On the drive home they noticed the radio was still dead. They called the dealer who told them if the radio is still dead when they start it up next then they will need to pay $900 CDN to fix/replace the electronics.

Does this sound like the dealer are trying to pull a fast one over my folks? I'm hoping maybe a fuse just needs to be reseated. I can't believe the electronics would be this bad on a Kia but maybe I'm wrong.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
446 Posts
Sounds like the dealer service people are simply suggesting the worst case scenario based on previous experience with the model and the problem. Remember, dealers see the same car over and over several times each and every day, so chances are, they will be do better repairs and diagnoses than individual owners or private shops who might see that type of car with that problem once in a blue moon. Technician training and quality notwithstanding obviously.

Have them go to a private car stereo ship for a diagnoses. Chances are that if the head unit is truly dead, then an aftermarket one will easily be 1/3 the price, and they can then have it installed there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts