Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX FWD, 2014 Soul !
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud new owner of a 2014 SX has a couple of questions:

1. Neat lights in front door handles, but they only come on after the door button is pushed. In my 2012 Optima, interior lights come on as I approach the car with the smart key. Is there a similar function on the Sorento? Is there a setting that I need to change?

2. There is a sensor built in for auto wipers next to the rear view mirror, but the control stalk does not have the function. Manual describes auto wipers option, but it is not listed anywhere on the Kia website, even for the SXL. Anyone know the story? Saving it for 2015? Might it be added by parts later?

I formerly owned an early 2011 EX V6, which we liked. This car is so much better. They have really tamed the ride and the content is amazing for the price. The only downer is having to wait until May when the UVO eServices are available for Android.

Go get yourself one and enjoy!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
Proud new owner of a 2014 SX has a couple of questions:

1. Neat lights in front door handles, but they only come on after the door button is pushed. In my 2012 Optima, interior lights come on as I approach the car with the smart key. Is there a similar function on the Sorento? Is there a setting that I need to change?

2. There is a sensor built in for auto wipers next to the rear view mirror, but the control stalk does not have the function. Manual describes auto wipers option, but it is not listed anywhere on the Kia website, even for the SXL. Anyone know the story? Saving it for 2015? Might it be added by parts later?

I formerly owned an early 2011 EX V6, which we liked. This car is so much better. They have really tamed the ride and the content is amazing for the price. The only downer is having to wait until May when the UVO eServices are available for Android.

Go get yourself one and enjoy!
1. Mine come on as I approach the car (with the key). There might be a setting; I haven't looked.

2. I also hadn't heard anything about auto (rain-sensing) wipers. Are you sure that's what the sensor is for?

-Andrew

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Could the "sensor" be some kind of antenna for the emergency telematics system, or does that run exclusively through a paired phone?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
I went and test drove the 2014 Sorento SX-L yesterday and it's a sweet ride. Really loved it. I also noticed the sensor up on the windshield just to the right of the rear view mirror but I don't think that is a sensor for Auto Wipers. And on the stalk there is no option for AUTO. What was weird thou, was on the details chart that was attached around the shift knob explaining stuff did show on the diagram an Auto listed on the stalk in the photo but it was not on the actual stalk in the Sorento. Perhaps they offer it in another Kia product? It would be nice thou. If you spend almost 40K for a Sorento, you would think Auto wipers would be standard.

Another observation was that the LED DRL on the front do not come on when the light switch is turned to Auto during the day. Unlike my Sportage SX the LED DRL come on all the time, even in Auto mode. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that could change that.

The Nappa Leather was really nice too. Much rather have the Nappa Leather then the regular SX leather. But I like the wheels on the SX better then the SX-L. My personal preference I guess.

The rear LED Tail lights were awesome! They really add a nice touch to the back.

Overall I really like it and could see myself in one within a few months.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
After some research. Seems the UK version of the Sorento gets a tad more features then back here in the States. In the UK.. on the top of the line model they get:
Front Headlight Washers
Rain Sensing Front Wipers

i'm sure I could of found more features buts a quick few i found..

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX V6
7 Posts
"2. There is a sensor built in for auto wipers next to the rear view mirror, but the control stalk does not have the function. Manual describes auto wipers option, but it is not listed anywhere on the Kia website, even for the SXL. Anyone know the story? Saving it for 2015? Might it be added by parts later?

Go get yourself one and enjoy!"

We just got ourselves one, and like you had previously had the 2011 EX V6. Much, much better vehicle all around. Just today my son asked about the thing on the windshield. I told him it looked like a sensor for automatic wipers. I just checked the manual and it reads (and shows a picture) like it has rain sensor wipers. I just tried it using a spray bottle and could not get it to operate no matter what I tried. The one thing I noticed was the sensor barely gets into the wiper track. I've installed several RainTracker systems into customers cars and the sensor must be in the area of the wiper blade track. It makes no sense putting the sensor there but not the operating system.
On another note. Are the Android phones getting access to UVO? I need a new phone and I'm not interested in IPhones.

Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
we just purchased the 2014 and there are no interior lights, i cant figure out how to turn them on, this sounds silly but i really can't figure it out.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX V6
7 Posts
There is a button overhead to select the lights to work with the doors automatically or to manually turn them all on or to turn them off completely.

Rick.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
2014 Sorento SX Questions

Sorry for sounding dumb (i bought it last night and havent read the manual yet) but i have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer.

1. on the key fob our dealer left a white platic stick not sure what is use is.

2. if the keyfob battery goes dead, i read somewhere there is a slot in the glove box to insert it for emergency situations? where is this located?

3. I also read you can send google maps from pc or phone to your UVO navi. I can not find this info anywhere.

Any help would be great and excited to be apart of this forum!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Sorry for sounding dumb (i bought it last night and havent read the manual yet) but i have a few questions that hopefully you guys can answer.

2. if the keyfob battery goes dead, i read somewhere there is a slot in the glove box to insert it for emergency situations? where is this located?

3. I also read you can send google maps from pc or phone to your UVO navi. I can not find this info anywhere.

I can answer #2. It is in the centre storage area right underneath the armrest. There should be a little slot in there for the key.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can answer #2. It is in the centre storage area right underneath the armrest. There should be a little slot in there for the key.
Thanks, I figured out the maps #3 and will be at the dealer next friday to re-badge our ride and will ask the dealer..

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
20 Posts

#1- If you're talking about a tag with barcode and number on it, you have to save that as your dealer will need that number if you ever loose your key fobs.
#2- Not on the 2014 but you can still turn your car on with dead keyfob battery by pushing start button with your keyfob instead of your finger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"2. There is a sensor built in for auto wipers next to the rear view mirror, but the control stalk does not have the function. Manual describes auto wipers option, but it is not listed anywhere on the Kia website, even for the SXL. Anyone know the story? Saving it for 2015? Might it be added by parts later?

Go get yourself one and enjoy!"

We just got ourselves one, and like you had previously had the 2011 EX V6. Much, much better vehicle all around. Just today my son asked about the thing on the windshield. I told him it looked like a sensor for automatic wipers. I just checked the manual and it reads (and shows a picture) like it has rain sensor wipers. I just tried it using a spray bottle and could not get it to operate no matter what I tried. The one thing I noticed was the sensor barely gets into the wiper track. I've installed several RainTracker systems into customers cars and the sensor must be in the area of the wiper blade track. It makes no sense putting the sensor there but not the operating system.
On another note. Are the Android phones getting access to UVO? I need a new phone and I'm not interested in IPhones.

Rick
It is a rain sensor according to the picture on page 4-114 of the owners manual. Did you try spraying water with the ignition on, it says on the manual it has to be on. I have a 2014 EX that also has the rain sensor but no automatic control on lever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is a rain sensor according to the picture on page 4-114 of the owners manual. Did you try spraying water with the ignition on, it says on the manual it has to be on. I have a 2014 EX that also has the rain sensor but no automatic control on lever.
I was at my dealer last week and they told me it was a defogger sensor?? We dont get much rain in Las Vegas so I wont know anytime soon. LOL

Ps i did go through a car wash and the wipers never came on

1 - 20 of 22 Posts