Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Soul 2.0 GDI
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Engine in my wifes Soul has failed, looking at picking up a motor from a write-off (hail damage or rear ended or similar) to swap in to get it going again, as shops will charge upwards of $5k-8k to drop a used motor in. Located in Alberta Canada. Reading the internet, seems like a semi-common failure for these motors (enough that there is a transport Canada investigation and at least one class-action in the works), car is experiencing rod knock. No warnings when it started, has ~110,000km, regularly serviced.

I was wondering if there is a list of compatible engines. I know the engine was sold in a bunch of contemporary Hyundais and Kias, but I'm wondering which ones exactly will be compatible and directly swappable with the stock ECM. Ideally a 2014 Soul 2.0 would be a perfect match, but it's a narrow field to search, would like to open it up a bit more to have more success.

Googling tells me the engine was available in the:
14-16 Elantra
14-17 Tuscon
14-18 Forte
14-18 Rondo
10-16 Soul

Are these all directly compatible? Do the ECM's swap, or are there different versions? Just looking for something to drop right in as a direct replacement.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
319 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. Engine in my wifes Soul has failed, looking at picking up a motor from a write-off (hail damage or rear ended or similar) to swap in to get it going again, as shops will charge upwards of $5k-8k to drop a used motor in. Located in Alberta Canada. Reading the internet, seems like a semi-common failure for these motors (enough that there is a transport Canada investigation and at least one class-action in the works), car is experiencing rod knock. No warnings when it started, has ~110,000km, regularly serviced.

I was wondering if there is a list of compatible engines. I know the engine was sold in a bunch of contemporary Hyundais and Kias, but I'm wondering which ones exactly will be compatible and directly swappable with the stock ECM. Ideally a 2014 Soul 2.0 would be a perfect match, but it's a narrow field to search, would like to open it up a bit more to have more success.

Googling tells me the engine was available in the:
14-16 Elantra
14-17 Tuscon
14-18 Forte
14-18 Rondo
10-16 Soul

Are these all directly compatible? Do the ECM's swap, or are there different versions? Just looking for something to drop right in as a direct replacement.

Thanks
Soul forte elantra for sure. Soul and forte is exactly the same for a given year. (I dont know everything, maybe there was a minor change from one year to the next or from hyundai to Kia).

If you use your intake, exhaust manifold, ecu, wirring harness, and belts, you will have no worries.

Idk if you guys have iaa insurance auctions in Canada (online) but you can look there. The radiator support unbolts so engine removal isn't too hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts