1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX AWD V6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Im new here,
Just wanted to post this for anyone out there looking at or already owning a 2014 sorento with the Uvo Systems.
Basically,
I recently traded in my 2011 Kia sorento SX to a 2014 sorento sx 2wd.
I mean, lots of updates in the car, comes with many pros and cons.
One are that I feel that they backtracked was with Bluetooth streaming sound.
Back in my 2011 sorento I used to constantly use my iphone 5 running my spotify account through bluetooth, and honesty, this combo is Bliss.
The sound sounded decent enough not to bother most.
Not as high quality audio compared to a wired connection, but seriously not too shabby.
Now with the Uvo system I get this static compressed sound that is pretty much unbearable. right around the high frequencies.

After much research on the web and with the kia,
here is what I got.

1. Service found some tech notes that state there will be a static/compressed sound when streaming audio

2. when I called kia and talked to a technician, they said that the UVO system was tested with iphone IOS 6.0. Currently its at 6.1.2 and they have not tested with this OS and could have some incompatibilities.
So not to account that my 2011 kia had no issues with the same 6.1.2IOS..
Basically they could not give me any answer to whats going on,
and cannot tell me if a firmware could resolve this issue or not.

They Say I should just use the wired connection..
But unfortunately, the spotify app does not function as well when wired compared to streaming interms of playing songs.
It plays one song, then wants to switch to the phones Itunes each time.
so I have to switch back to spotify and chose another song and hit play for the system to catch on./.

Pretty much a pain.

Anyone here, has any experience with this or any insight as to any solutions or work around?
I would appreciated.

Thanks guys,
I will post this in the 2013 forums as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2014 Sorento Sx 2wd that i bought 2 days ago.

I don't know a solution but I will agree that the sound is terrible when streamed through bluetooth. I'm using an Iphone 4S with the iOS 6.1.3 update and the pandora is terrible and I can't ignore the scratchy high pitched sounds. Even the Rhapsody app I use is terrible sounding. I hope a fix is made. Crazy when I test drove the Sx (not the one I ended up buying) and used my husbands iPhone to play pandora during the test drive I didn't notice the awful scratchy high tones. I'm pretty sure my husband never upgraded to the new IOS. I'll have to test his phone vs mine later tonight.

Other than the audio, going from a 2011 Mini Cooper S to the Sorento is still amazing. I know my dog agrees. I still think the Harman Kardon sound I had on the Mini is a touch better than the Infinity speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it is the 6.1.+ IOS software being somewhat incompatible.
That is what they said to me on the phone.
That when they tested the system its guaranteed with the 6.0 IOS..
How would that differ for Bluetooth sound, you got me..
But Im hoping this can be something fixed with a near by firmware update.

I too, did not test the sound while I was test driving the 2014.
In fact it did not have the UVO activated. I should have paid attention more.

I cant believe Im not hearing anymore from people here.
Can anyone else test out their Bluetooth streaming sound quality?
different phones, different OS,
Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up!
I wish someone with ios 6.0 iphone 5 would test to see if it really is the os as kia claims, 6.12 works but not tested. Could have incompatabilities.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
26 Posts
I just picked up my '14 SX coming from a '12 SX and I did not notice bad Bluetooth audio streaming via Spotify from my HTC One. Might be a Apple specific issue?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just got my '14 SXL and had a friend connect her brand new iphone5 OS 6.1.4. We streamed pandora as well as songs stored on the phone and everything sounded perfect. No hissing, scratching, or any other strange sounds. Also streamed from a Droid HDmax with great sound. Haven't yet tried my own Samsung Galaxy S-blaze Android. I did have a problem getting an older motorola flip phone to stay connected. It paired just fine, and would connect just fine, then after 10 seconds or so, it would just disconnect for no reason...still have to look into that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very strange combination of reports.
The particular sound quality issue is subtle,
Its in the high frequencies of the music. Its got a crunchy
Characteristic to it.
In my situation i had the same iphone 5 with the same os 6.12
Connected to both cars and my 2011 bluetooth sound ofcourse did not comoare to cd quality, but did nit have any obvious compression issues.
And with my 2014, i noticed it the next day when i really heard it.
I only wish i would have heard this during my test drive.
Interms of pairing... 0 issues. Works 100% of the time. Compared to my 2011
That i had pairing issues.
Thanks everyone.
Hope to get more feedback

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2014 SXL 2 weeks ago, same audio quality issue w/ Nokia Lumia 822 (Windows Phone). Paired it to my neighbor's '13 Sportage SX (w/ nav) and it works fine so must be something in the firmware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have used bluetooth with 2014 Sorento on an iPhone 5 and 4S both running 6.1.4 and the quality is very poor. It's similar in quality to Sirius radio, so did not purchase this when the trial expired.

Much better quality when plugged in via USB.

·
Registered
2107 Kia Niro, 2018 Toyota Camry XSE, 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2015 Yamaha V Star 950 Touring
13 Posts
I just picked up my '14 SX coming from a '12 SX and I did not notice bad Bluetooth audio streaming via Spotify from my HTC One. Might be a Apple specific issue?
I'll second that my '14 EX V6 works great with streaming music from a HTC One. One difference, I was streaming from music on the device, not an online source.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have used bluetooth with 2014 Sorento on an iPhone 5 and 4S both running 6.1.4 and the quality is very poor. It's similar in quality to Sirius radio, so did not purchase this when the trial expired.

Much better quality when plugged in via USB.
Are you saying you get poor sound quality from Sirius Sat. radio? That's crazy! I listen to Sat radio about 90% of the time in my SXL and it sounds outstanding! (mostly BPM and Electric Area = Dance music) I've always upgraded the stock stereo systems in all my previous vehicles, because I like high volumes and superb sound quality with substantial bass. I'm so impressed with the sound quality and volume of this system, I'm gonna leave it alone.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with no software/firmware glitches :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Kia again regarding this crappy bluetooth audio that Uvo kicks out.
They escalated the case will reach out to me with further info.
I gave it sometime to see if more noise about this gets generated and it becomes important enough to get addressed, perhaps through a firmware.
Will keep you guys informed.
thanks

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L
8 Posts
Ditto on the poor Sirius sound quality...you can tell when the bitrate drops....it sounds like you're underwater.
...but that's just Sirius'(s's's) crappy variable bitrate (4-64kb/s) and not the Kia stereo's fault.
Yes, that's 4 kbps minimum up to 64 max :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello there.... I would recommend you to try following steps.
1. Press Factory default / under set up / system info
And the unit will reboot
2. soon as turn back on Pair the cell phone with unit
A) press phone button
B) press add phone or pair
C) from the phone ( if device appeared (UVO)
Click on it to start pairing the phone.
D) then (blue tooth) symbol will appeares on the display. (Right) corner and it will blink.
E) wait until blinking to steady. (Bluetooth symbol)
F) press media button to change / B T steaming mode.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
41 Posts
Here are my observations....
I agree Sirius sounds a little like you are under water. It's not AWESOME but I accept it for what it is.

My iPhone 5s over Bluetooth sounds great, so I thought. Recently I plugged it in with a USB cable (just a plain USB, not the KIA cable) and oh my, what a difference. It sounds richer, deeper and louder. I get album art to boot.

Another thing I noticed... I do not have any music physically on my phone but I do have iTunes Match. When I plugged my phone into my car it was able to read my entire library and play music for said library. If anybody coudl shed some light on that I'd appreciate that.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L
8 Posts
Man, I am Picky as Hell!

Here are my observations....
I agree Sirius sounds a little like you are under water. It's not AWESOME but I accept it for what it is.

My iPhone 5s over Bluetooth sounds great, so I thought. Recently I plugged it in with a USB cable (just a plain USB, not the KIA cable) and oh my, what a difference. It sounds richer, deeper and louder.
For me, the deepest, loudest bass and plain volume comes from Sirius, even with the known issues.
USB flash drive or Jukebox has best overall sound quality for obvious reasons.... (haven't even tried the CD).

The one thing that grinds my gears (Peter Griffin lol) the most about the head unit, is the difference in loudness (volumes) between sources.
I mean major volume differences, not small ones.

In the Sorento, Sirius is, by far, the loudest. FM is second, USB/Jukebox 3rd, and Bluetooth last. On other vehicles and other stereos,
I have to turn my Bluetooth (Android 4.3 phone) volume down to match FM and USB/CD volumes, so I know it isn't because of the volume of my source material.

This needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
3 Posts
Has anyone seen an update to this? I recently drove a 2014 rental and there was no problem with their bluetooth. However, I have the SXL and the one I drive was a lower trim level, without the gps unit. Not sure if this is where the difference is though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts