Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was getting an alignment done at my Dealer and decided to make friendly talk with the sales manager at Durham Kia. We chatted about all the differences betweeN the '13 and '14. I asked if they had a V6 on the lot that we could take out for a spin.

Sure enough, they had an LX 7/pass with the 3.3L. Even for the base model, it comes loaded with standard features.

First impressions: Interior is heaps better than the '13. Everything feels so much more 'refined'. The steering wheel actually feels like leather, seats were soft and comfortable, controls were not chitsy, everything was just perfect. This one had the LED accents that looked fantastic. At certain angles you can hardly tell they're on, but it was still bright outside. From the front they are very bright and pronounced. Gives it a very upper class look. Ford only offers LED accents on the highest titanium trim on the Escape...keep that in mind!

I also love the new base model wheels. They have a much sportier design and look very nice. I would almost prefer them over the new EX wheels, which don't look nearly as nice as the outgoing EX wheels.

Driving impressions: I was on the waters about how I would like the shifter. I am used to gated shifters so the new style was different, but I would live with it. The Leather boot is a very nice touch.

The minute I pulled away I noticed how much smoother and quieter the ride was. You could definitely tell that the steering was electronic, but personally, I loved how light it was. It made slow steering very easy. The steering wheel was nicely wrapped in 'leather'. Not just bare plastic like the outgoing model. They Smartkey has also been updated. Looks much more sophisticated and 'expensive'.

Door chime was different, but it sounded better than the previous models. Almost like the dual warning mercedes has. A different chime for different warnings.

The new font they are using on everything is extremely attractive. The gauge cluster was the base one with the analog speedometer but is easily one of the nicest in its class in base and LCD form.

Power: The new 3.3L was extremely smooth. I did notice the 'sluggishness' that people were noticing off the line. The one I drove only had 70km's on it, so the transmission hasn't fully learned its ways yet. Once the revs got high, you could feel the power difference. The 3.5L is an amazingly smooth engine to begin with...the 3.3 GDi is even smoother.

Overall...Would I trade my 2011 EX V6 AWD for one? Absolutely yes. Not necessarily a brand new one, but once they start popping up on the used car market, I might just have to pick one up. It will have to be an EX+ model though. The LCD speedometer is a dealmaker in my eyes.

Go test drive one if you haven't already. You will not be unimpressed.

Also, they had just unloaded a Cadenza a few minutes before I showed up. Absolutely stunning car in person.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Thanks for the Review! I actually just put down a deposit on the SXL. I hope to get it tomorrow. I test drove both a SXL a few weeks ago and today a EX with a V6. After reading about the sluggishness on here..I decided to turn off the ECO mode while on a drive and you can really tell the difference in take off response when it is off. I'll be sure to post some photos and my review of my new toy soon. Very excited! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Just picked up a Canadian SX last Saturday; pretty much equivalent to the U.S. SXL except no nappa leather. SX is the highest trim model here. Really enjoy the car; like the center LCD screen with supplemental nav directions. Can see will really like the heated steering wheel in cold weather and looking forward to warm weather to test out the cooling seats. The panorama roof is also fantastic. lastly, love the memory seats. Overall a great improvement to the 2009 Toyota RAV4 the Sorento has replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Just picked up a Canadian SX last Saturday; pretty much equivalent to the U.S. SXL except no nappa leather. SX is the highest trim model here. Really enjoy the car; like the center LCD screen with supplemental nav directions. Can see will really like the heated steering wheel in cold weather and looking forward to warm weather to test out the cooling seats. The panorama roof is also fantastic. lastly, love the memory seats. Overall a great improvement to the 2009 Toyota RAV4 the Sorento has replaced.
What do you think about maps of the navigation system, is it detailed enough, is it up to date ?

What about the nav system ? The blind spot detection ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX 2.4 GDI
29 Posts
I really like my 2014 Sorento. The 2.4L GDI is responsive and smooth for a 4 banger. The motor driven steering has taken a bit to get used to. It is very sensitive to steering wheel movement with virtually no feedback compared to hydraulic power steering. The four wheel disc ABS brakes are very powerful and slow down the vehicle in a hurry.

Inside, the passenger compartment is quiet at freeway speed, the ride firm, but not harsh. The heated seats are great and they are comfortable. Controls are laid out nicely and easy to use. The UVO system with voice activated command is great. I'm glad I waited till the 2014 models came out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also forgot to mention that the brakes felt alot more responsive than my '11. My 2011 had a soft feeling pedal when I got it. I even had new brakes and rotors done because the old ones had a pulsation with no difference in pedal feel.

They have seemed to address this with the 14's. I think I made the manager a little nervous when I first hit the brakes as I wasn't expecting them to be as sensitive.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What do you think about maps of the navigation system, is it detailed enough, is it up to date ?

What about the nav system ? The blind spot detection ?

Thanks.
Until getting the SX, had been using a high end Garmin GPS that have been very happy with. By comparison, the NAV on the SX is a disappointment from a detail level unless fully zoomed in. I like to be zoomed out somewhat to see well ahead, but then find the road I am driving on disappears if not a major highway, so appear to be driving on open country.
The Garmin had a feature which showed current speed versus speed limit, a function I liked when driving in unknown areas; missing from the Nav system.
The Garmin had traffic alerts; appears to be missing from the Nav system.
The Garmin had free life time quarterly updates. The Nav's systems updates are annual and understand will cost $200 per year.
One attractive option is the 7 inch centre LCD provides a mini map showing distance to next turn and direction of the turn.
Another attraction of the 8 inch Nav is resulting very large size of the backup camera with excellent video quality.
The large screen also provides more room for text messages about music being played.
And of course at 8 inches as a Nav system is much larger than store bought units which max out at 5 inches.
Road accuracy has been good but based on limited use in a week.
When planning a route, each time you are given the option to choose fastest vs shortest route versus this being a preset option for all route planning. i like this feature.

Blind spot detection. Most driving has been on two lane highways so limited opportunity to see in action but has worked on the few occasions where applicable. A yellow light comes on , on the relevant mirror.

While I had a backup camera in my previous car, i like the warning beeps in this car that get more frequent, the closer you get to an object. This audio function has the option to be turned on or off. I don't know why you would turn it off.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Until getting the SX, had been using a high end Garmin GPS that have been very happy with. By comparison, the NAV on the SX is a disappointment from a detail level unless fully zoomed in. I like to be zoomed out somewhat to see well ahead, but then find the road I am driving on disappears if not a major highway, so appear to be driving on open country.
The Garmin had a feature which showed current speed versus speed limit, a function I liked when driving in unknown areas; missing from the Nav system.
The Garmin had traffic alerts; appears to be missing from the Nav system.
The Garmin had free life time quarterly updates. The Nav's systems updates are annual and understand will cost $200 per year.
One attractive option is the 7 inch centre LCD provides a mini map showing distance to next turn and direction of the turn.
Another attraction of the 8 inch Nav is resulting very large size of the backup camera with excellent video quality.
The large screen also provides more room for text messages about music being played.
And of course at 8 inches as a Nav system is much larger than store bought units which max out at 5 inches.
Road accuracy has been good but based on limited use in a week.
When planning a route, each time you are given the option to choose fastest vs shortest route versus this being a preset option for all route planning. i like this feature.

Blind spot detection. Most driving has been on two lane highways so limited opportunity to see in action but has worked on the few occasions where applicable. A yellow light comes on , on the relevant mirror.

While I had a backup camera in my previous car, i like the warning beeps in this car that get more frequent, the closer you get to an object. This audio function has the option to be turned on or off. I don't know why you would turn it off.
Thanks for this good update and the comparison with your Garmin unit. Once again, some of your critics are addressed in the US version of the nav system (current speed versus speed limit, traffic alerts) but not the canadian one.

I guess that the canadian market is not big enough to deserve most of the US developments ! If only, we were paying less, but no : we pay more !

I should get my canadian 2014 SX this week...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I also forgot to mention that the brakes felt alot more responsive than my '11. My 2011 had a soft feeling pedal when I got it. I even had new brakes and rotors done because the old ones had a pulsation with no difference in pedal feel.

They have seemed to address this with the 14's. I think I made the manager a little nervous when I first hit the brakes as I wasn't expecting them to be as sensitive.
Your are totally right. I made the same observation and test. Just a question of setup since brake systems are said to be the same (at least on paper).

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX AWD
7 Posts
The only thing I can think of - in colder climates - is that you might want to turn off the audio beeps if you have ice or snow (or mud) covering the sensors in back, because it can cause an annoying false-positive constant beep when you reverse.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
The only thing I can think of - in colder climates - is that you might want to turn off the audio beeps if you have ice or snow (or mud) covering the sensors in back, because it can cause an annoying false-positive constant beep when you reverse.
Also you might turn off if towing a trailer

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Finally got the local dealer sales guy(a young one) to do a short run with a new 2014 V6 AWD SX with 900 miles and my 2011 AWD SX. I'm afraid that I will have to wait until they get a little more performance before I trade. Wasn't really a run, 2+ car lengths by 50mph. Stomped him off the line with 3 tries 2014-0; 2011-3. Confirms some car mags tests that the '14 V6 is slower than the '11-13 models. Admit the '14 has many nice creature comfort features.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the local dealer sales guy(a young one) to do a short run with a new 2014 V6 AWD SX with 900 miles and my 2011 AWD SX. I'm afraid that I will have to wait until they get a little more performance before I trade. Wasn't really a run, 2+ car lengths by 50mph. Stomped him off the line with 3 tries 2014-0; 2011-3. Confirms some car mags tests that the '14 V6 is slower than the '11-13 models. Admit the '14 has many nice creature comfort features.:)
Yeah this is believable. The 2014 definitely felt slower off the line, but faster in the top end. I'll take low end grunt anyday over top end power. The 3.5 has the triple intake setup which you can actually feel/hear working as the revs climb.

Not sure if the 3.3 has a similar setup or not.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My only comparison is the SX 3.3 versus the 3.5 of the car the SX replaced, an '09 RAV4. The RAV4 seemed to have better low end but no complaints about the SX when comes to highway passing. I would have been happy to get a new RAV4 but they dropped the 6 and not even a turbo 4. I really wanted a 6 in the replacement car, but found few out there in the mid size CUV category. Some like the Hyundai Sante Fe had turbo 4's. I think the new stretch 7 seater version has a 6, but really didn't need the size or 7 seats.
We checked out the Toyota Venza which does have a 6, but found the Sorento SX beat it out in a number of categories.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When you look at the horsepower and torque curves for both the 3.5 and 3.3 you can see that the 3.3 only has 4 lbs more torque at 5200rpm vs 3.5's 248 at 5000rpm. This difference is actually nothing in the values of say 100 random engines off the production line. The 3.5
curve is also flatter up to its maximum vs the more pointy 3.3s. and falls slower. Can't beat cubic iinches. The hp issue has the 3.3 developing more power( 14hp) @ 100 higher rpms , but again the 3.5 has more almost all the way to the top. I run my 3.5 to 6500rpm(red line) when running. Power doesnot drop off. This maybe why the 3.3 can't beat the 3.5 off the line and has only a very slight advantage at the very top end- too late to do any good. Remarkedly, both fuel mileage EPA estimates are the same! Hard to believe with GDI in place. But maybe at the end, the similar vehicle weights means the 3.3 has to work slightly more than the 3.5. Don't know why they didn't use the Hyundai 3.8. Has same mileage rating as both and really more power and torque. :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My only comparison is the SX 3.3 versus the 3.5 of the car the SX replaced, an '09 RAV4. The RAV4 seemed to have better low end but no complaints about the SX when comes to highway passing. I would have been happy to get a new RAV4 but they dropped the 6 and not even a turbo 4. I really wanted a 6 in the replacement car, but found few out there in the mid size CUV category. Some like the Hyundai Sante Fe had turbo 4's. I think the new stretch 7 seater version has a 6, but really didn't need the size or 7 seats.
We checked out the Toyota Venza which does have a 6, but found the Sorento SX beat it out in a number of categories.
I drove a venza and yes it was powerful but I couldn't get past that terrible interior. Nothing flowed nicely and everything was in these awkward positons...especially the shifter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is the new 7 passenger Santa Fe really any larger than the 2013-14 Sorento?
I thought they were now using the same chassis.:)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think the Sorento shares the same chassis as regular Sante Fe. The Stretch Sante Fe version has just come out I believe to better accomodate 3rd row seating which i believe comes standard in that version. 3rd row seating in the Sorento and regular Sante Fe is really only for young kids. I believe the stretch Sante Fe replaces that Vera Cruz I think it was that was on the large CUV side, again intended for 3rd row seating. So two versions of the Sante Fe will be like the short and long box minivan versions that Chrysler used to have before discontinuing the short box version.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The new Santa Fe Sport is smaller than either the Santa Fe or Sorento. No 3rd row seating and I believe only a turbo 4 at the most- no V6.:(

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 2014 Sorento is based on the new Santa Fe Sport platform (same chassis, different bodies). The Santa Fe Sport has no available 3rd row and only comes with a 2.4 GDI 4 cyl or 2.0 GDI Turbo 4 cyl. The Santa Fe GLS/Limited comes standard with the same 3.3 GDI V6 as the Sorento and comes standard with 3rd row. The Sorento & Sport have 106" WB while the GLS/Limited has 110" WB.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts