Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX w/3rd Row
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading in an 8-year old 2005 VW Touareg (V6, no TDI) for a car on Monday, and it's down to those three.

They're close enough that the features and costs are basically a wash. As simply as I can make everything (except cost):

Sorento: Lots of features, reliability a question.
Highlander: Reliable, keyless entry, but nothing stands out. Average all around.
Pilot: Reliable, roomier third row+storage, light on features

My daughter is ten so we'll probably soon be on carpool duty for several girls, which is why we're looking at some of these 7- or 8-passenger SUVs to begin with. My wife has a CR-V (I joined to post about that choice a few years ago…).

Thoughts? Obviously this is a biased crowd, but the bias should cancel out when I've asked the same question on some other sites for the Highlander and Pilot. :)

And if this is not appropriate, please delete. No hard feelings. :D

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL, 2010 Infiniti G37S
14 Posts
I was kind of in the same boat as you but I was looking at the lexus rx, acura mdx, audi q5, bmw x3 etc... in the end the limited sorento had all I wanted plus more! I didnt want a toyoto or a honda since their designs are so bland. Peter Shreyers designs especially for the sorento is awesome. Looks clean, elegant and european. Audi wishes they had him back. I am not worried about reliability as hyundai and kia have the best warrenty and are quality cars. I live in LA and I like being different and showing my car to friends and showing off my car. My friends x1 and mercedes glk is a joke compared to my limited and they paid more than mine.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
If you are buying this year.. get the Sorento..
If you are buying next year... take a serious look at the new 2014 Highlander..it should have most of the same features that made me buy the Sorento.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was kind of in the same boat as you but I was looking at the lexus rx, acura mdx, audi q5, bmw x3 etc... in the end the limited sorento had all I wanted plus more! I didnt want a toyoto or a honda since their designs are so bland. Peter Shreyers designs especially for the sorento is awesome. Looks clean, elegant and european. Audi wishes they had him back. I am not worried about reliability as hyundai and kia have the best warrenty and are quality cars. I live in LA and I like being different and showing my car to friends and showing off my car. My friends x1 and mercedes glk is a joke compared to my limited and they paid more than mine.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

I've heard both good and bad things about the warranty, and as good as the warranty is, ideally you never need to use it, but it seems more likely I might need to with the Kia.

My wife has had both a Toyota Camry and the CR-V she owns now. Honda Care Vehicle Service Contract from Saccucci Honda can extend a Honda warranty pretty darn far for very little money $1.2k to $1.5k or so).

Honestly, and I may have said it already, but the reliability is about the only hold-back for me on the Kia. If it was close to being as reliable as the Honda/Toyota reputation, I'd probably be leaning in the direction of the Sorento pretty heavily.

I just know that if I get the Kia and it has issues, my wife will give me the "I told you so" look! ;) :p

If you are buying next year... take a serious look at the new Highlander.
Thanks. But perhaps I should wait a month and see what Toyota has. Their 2014s are due out pretty darn soon aren't they?

Except if I do that, the Pilot is completely off the table since their 2013s will be gone.

Every time I think I'm leaning one way, I'm reminded of something else bad about that particular car or good about the others that pulls me right back to being completely undecided. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 2014 Highlander won't be out until early 2014, so I've read. I had to decide between the very bland current Highlander, the Sorento and the long wheel base Sante Fe. While the LWB Sante Fe was nicer than a mini van, and the Turbo Sport was fun to drive, the Sorento won me over in the end.. I just wish the 4Cyl had a turbo!

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
how about new toureg model? i would say test drive all of them.. which do you like best.. and functionality accessibility..
get a real 7 seater suv if that is what you are after like the pilot, mdx, santa fe LWB, chev traverse, nissan armada, nissan pathfinder buick enclave, dodge durango, subaru tribeca.. toyota highlander is good with space but imo, interior is simple too bland for me (as you say doesn't stand out).. also no matter what car maker, i usually get the 2nd year of production just to have all the bugs, some complaint fixed from the introductory year.. hope that helps :)

my friend has a pilot, big, real 7 seater compared to my sorento, but was saying that lacks power.. though it comes to your choices.. whatever you really like.. i would say test drive the LWB santa-fe styling is really nice and also the features, decent 3rd row but but this comes down to your preferences.. well the sorento on the other hand is best bang for your buck..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about new toureg model?
It's about $10k more than the models I've chosen.

i would say test drive all of them.. which do you like best.. and functionality accessibility..
I have test driven them all. That's why they're even. The space in the Pilot is a plus, but the features in the other two cars pull them up to even in my mind. One of the ONLY advantages of the Pilot is the space, and the Honda reliability.

The downsides on the Sorento are the relative lack of space (to the Pilot) and the reliability questions.

i would say test drive the LWB santa-fe styling is really nice and also the features, decent 3rd row but but this comes down to your preferences.. well the sorento on the other hand is best bang for your buck..
As dumb as it may seem, the Santa Fe is out because it only comes with tan interiors.

But I'm looking at it again, because it may very well be that much less expensive and have the right stuff.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
66 Posts
We looked at every crossover known to man and wound up buying the SX Limited. Driving the CRV felt like driving a cheap lawnmower compared to the KIA. I was really surprised how good and solid the vehicle feels on the road. I was also amazed at how the direct inject 6 makes the vehicle jump when you step o the gas.

The Murano had more comfortable seating (tho not ventilated) with less bells and whistles and was $5,000.00 more for a 2013. The Toyota Venza rode better (softer) but didn't handle as well. The BMW, Lexus, Benz, et al doesn't give you near as much bang for your buck (or insurance dollar).

We're at 1,500 miles on the Sorento and have no complaints yet (except still learning how to operate all the toys).

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
as far as Kia reliability goes, in my case I was wondering about the same thing when I bought my first Kia in late 2007, but after 4 years ownership, I was so pleased with it I traded it in another Kia, my current vehicle which I have owned for a year and 9 months with zero problems.
Over the four year period on the other vehicle I had four warranty claims and were all attended to without any hassle or problem or inconvenience to me. One was major (defective windshield) the other three minor. I did not have a single mechanical problem with regards engine or transmission, got good fuel economy, also it was as tight and rattle free at the end of four years as it was when I first purchased it new.

I have no hesitation in telling people to consider a KIA in their shopping list when purchasing a vehicle. KIA has jumped in leaps and bounds over the last 5-7 years and cannot be ignored - its not the KIA of old.
They are striving to make quality a top priority and this is shown on various J.D. Power surveys.
But the bottom line it is your decision and also it depends how the vehicle feels to you and you personal requirements.

I look on some of the Facebook pages of some of the many other manufacturer and you still see many complaints about poor service and lousy quality even on products like Toyota and Honda, so even buying those products does not guarantee it will be trouble free - if that was the case then nobody would need to have a warranty at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to those who added their insights, and to those whose posts I've read on this forum in the past few days. I've visited other forums, and done a LOT of reading, and I thank everyone who has ever posted their thoughts, not just in this thread but countless others, as it all has helped me.

I ended up getting the Kia Sorento. Well, we will when it arrives, but we gave our $500 down so he could get the car we want - dark cherry with black interior, SX, third row.

We added the Santa Fe (the six passenger model) to our list, and moved to the Highlander Limited (keyless, a few other little things, but mostly the keyless). Then visited all the dealers again today to get second rounds of offers, telling them we'd call one back at the end of the day.

- The Pilot we got down as low as possible, but it's wider than my Touareg and it doesn't have power folding mirrors, so quite honestly even something as simple as coming in and out of my garage would be a more nervous activity. I liked the car, but true to Honda's style, they aren't big on features - we were looking at the top model and the only "cool" features it had that were not available on the other cars in their top packages was the DVD entertainment… and my kid has an iPad, so that's almost not worth anything. Total cost more than the Kia - $3200 (slightly higher initial cost + 0.9% financing).

- The Highlander was just a "blah" car - it didn't do anything poorly, but it didn't do anything very well either. The interior was blah, the dash and fit and finish were blah. The ride was fine. The storage was small. It had keyless entry, which the Pilot did not, and 0% financing. Our Toyota service department is also widely known to be not so great. It came in about +$2700 over the Sorento.

- The Santa Fe had a fairly close trade-off with the Sorento in terms of "toys" - it had heated second-row seats, individual climate control third row seats, and an app that I could use to start my car from my iPhone. It didn't have parking assist sensors, airflow front seats ("cooling"), a blind spot detection system, power folding mirrors, etc. The second row also had - get this - no ****ing cupholders. It had two "bottle" holders (angled, in the door), but literally no place to put a cup of pop or something. They were also hampered by the fact that they have NO specials running right now on the Santa Fe - we got $1000 cash and $1500 competitive trade-in at Kia. They also have 1.9% financing at best at Hyundai (working with a local bank or something). So total cost was $2400 or so more than the Sorento for what we felt was a fairly "similar" car. If it was $1400 less, we'd have probably paid the $1000 to get the Santa Fe (though their service department might not be great).

The warranty played a small role. Resale wasn't a big factor but it played a little role too, as did historical reliability. The Honda salesman is a bit of a punk, putting down your other choices as if Honda cars are the clear winners (what he doesn't seem to get is that they're still YOUR choices, so you have reasons for liking them, and it's mildly insulting to behave as he does). We bought our CR-V from him so he didn't need to behave like that. The Kia salesman was good. The Hyundai guy didn't know jack squat despite being there 10+ years, and the Toyota guy was really good about making good first offers, but was pretty laid back about "selling" or explaining features and benefits.

The Kia guy was good. Carey felt bad she didn't opt for the Sorento herself last time. The price we'd have paid for any of the cars was REALLY pretty good, but in the end, it was tough to justify spending $2400 to $3200 more over the next five years for any of the other cars.

P.S. Honda, seriously, how hard is it to add a button to your cars and stuff? Even entry-level cars are going to be push-button in the next few years. C'mon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As dumb as it may seem, the Santa Fe is out because it only comes with tan interiors.

But I'm looking at it again, because it may very well be that much less expensive and have the right stuff.
In certain colors it only comes in Tan.. which is dumb.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL, 2010 Infiniti G37S
14 Posts
If your wife and you drove the VW Tourag then you should be fine. German cars especially VW and Audi's are known to have lots of issues. Those 2.0 turbo engines always need to have their oil topped off every 2k which was is a pain lol.

Kiss reliability and alg residual value has say rocketed. If your wife ever did had her car break down the uvo in the system allows you to get some to her right away. Also the uvo app will do a periodic distinctive on your car and inform you if their are issues. I don't think my Mercedes can do that

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your wife and you drove the VW Tourag then you should be fine. German cars especially VW and Audi's are known to have lots of issues. Those 2.0 turbo engines always need to have their oil topped off every 2k which was is a pain lol.
I went in for an oil change every 10,000 miles, and aside from the speakers blowing out after about six years, had no service issues with it at all. It's not a turbo. It's just a V6. Co-designed with Porsche or whatever.

Kiss reliability and alg residual value has say rocketed. If your wife ever did had her car break down the uvo in the system allows you to get some to her right away. Also the uvo app will do a periodic distinctive on your car and inform you if their are issues. I don't think my Mercedes can do that
Thanks. You can see above what we did. This is mostly my car - she's happy with her CR-V. :)

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento
6 Posts
I see you already decided on the Sorento, which IMO is a good choice. We had a new Highlander Limited. A lady driving a new Subaru Legacy never saw my wife stopped behind traffic and slammed into her without touching the brakes. The frame on the Highlander pushed up into a TeePee under the back seats. I knew it was a complete loss the second I saw it. My wife wanted another Highlander Limited, which is all she ever drove. As we were driving to the Toyota dealership, we decided to see what the Ford/Kia dealership had (just in case). She saw the Sorento and we took it for a ride. It drove better than the Highlander and had more bells and whistles. The dealership dropped their prices drastically to win us as a customer. We walked out of there with a lower payment on a new SX and 10 grand in our pockets from the insurance company.

The only drawbacks is I was told it had automatic parrallel parking. I am still trying to find the parrallel parking button. I also hate agreeing to the GPS everytime I start up the vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL AWD 3.3 V6
36 Posts
I also hate agreeing to the GPS everytime I start up the vehicle.
I guess we can blame the "lawyers" for that. It kind of annoys me too. I wish I could just select "agree" and have it auto-by pass from now on. But no dice.

Also, I hope your family was okay after that wreck. Sounds substantial. Wow.

Take care man,

pete

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts
The only drawbacks is I was told it had automatic parrallel parking. I am still trying to find the parrallel parking button.
If you are in Noth America, good luck since this equipement is not available, only in Europe. You were told wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will add, I am trading my Optima in for a Sorento this weekend. As far as the question of Kia reliability..... My wife had a Toyota Corolla which was recalled 2 times and then the computer which was supposedly fixed in the last recall caused the car to shut off at highway speed. She traded it for a 2012 Honda CR-V. Two months in to her owning the Honda, she was stranded on the side of the road with a dead battery attributed to a bad alternator and starter solenoid. It seams there was some sort of overall electrical short in the system.
The last time, I had to go meet her and wait for the tow truck. When the wrecker showed the driver commented he liked my Optima. He went on to tell me that he has not towed a Honda or Kia vehicle in nearly 3 years and he has towed A LOT of Toyota's and many Honda's of late.
Add some icing to that cake, my mom just went to trade in her 2007 Camry and was told by a dealership (VW dealer in NJ) that they were not interested in that generation of Camry in trade at all as the resale has tanked based on durability and reliability concerns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are buying next year... take a serious look at the new 2014 Highlander..it should have most of the same features that made me buy the Sorento.
Yes, definitely look at the 2014 Highlander--it will seat 8 people.

Disclaimer, I bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe LWB because it looks cooler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts