Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to Kia's in general. I very recently purchased a 2014 Sorento SX with 29K, still under warranty. (V6 GDI). Seems in mint condition, regularly serviced.

We're on Vancouver Island so the climate is around 6-10 degrees C at the moment. I park in a parking garage overnight so it's warm. No hills to and from work. My commute is 70% 50kph, 30% 90kph on the way to work (10k one way). When I first got it I was driving pretty aggressively but now driving as modestly as I can. 2 problems:

1. On start in the morning, it idles at 1500 RPM for at least a minute and sounds a little rough to my ears. I don't usually wait for it to drop to something more reasonable. Is that normal?

2. No matter how I drive I seem to always get 16 l/100 km which is only 14.7 mpg. Is this in the realm of reasonable? Seems pretty terrible to me.

The dealer is very elusive about gas mileage and won't give me a straight answer.

Thanks any advice / experience you can share!

·
Registered
713 Posts
The initial rough idling is due to the GDI engine that mimics a little a diesel engine. The slight chatter should go away after a minute or so.
The gas consumption seems to be a little high, but the engine has hardly a chance to get warm during this 10k long drive.
It is much colder where I live (North Western Wisconsin), and I get on cold days between 19 - 20 mpg.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Seems low but as stated that's not much of a test. Certainly don't wait for it to "warm up" before driving as that doesn't help.

Suggest you reset the MPG stats and take a nice long drive one afternoon, 100km or more, and see what it says. I average about 17.5, I don't drive gently and Atlanta is not very flat. On a highway trip I'll get low-to-mid 20's, best is 24.

·
Registered
352 Posts
...Certainly don't wait for it to "warm up" before driving as that doesn't help....
Yeah, I expect if you are starting it up, then going back inside for a bit, that it would tank the MPG calc on the computer since the entire time you are getting 0 MPG (granted at very light load/RPM). That suggestion of resetting the computer calc once the drive starts is a great one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting, thanks Hudsoner, eflyguy, and Wahoobie.

Just a note that for my regular commute I start going immediately in the morning without waiting. I was only waiting to see how fast the RPM would come down to diagnose if that was separate issue.

I will try the reset + 100KM drive test. As well, I will check again when I refill today as last time I reset the trip A so will be able to see how many KM I traveled vs how many litres I put back in to fill. This will also indicate if the trip computer is inaccurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eflyguy, you are right, the trip computer was accurate. I filled up to day and calculated mileage to 16.1 l/100km which is 14.61 MPG.

Atlanta looks to be similar temperatures and it looks as if you've never got below 16?

I guess next question is if there's anything I can try to improve the situation? Apparently the fuel filter needs to be replaced at 36K or something like that. Perhaps I could do it early. I read somewhere carbon might build up but not sure if that would be the issue.

P.S. what octane do you use?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Try a different brand of gas! I now use BP, or Gulf, Reg. 87 oct. (across the street from each other) 15 miles away on the border of Jersey, because of the price, BP discount ;) & convenience. The Sorento seems to run best, with the best mileage on either of these.
Up here in the rural tri-state area I avg. 20-22mpg around town, but I've seen 17-18mpg, with other brands.

I used to use BP PlUS 89 oct. for the best power, & mileage, but recently it seems to run worse then regular? I don't know what the hell they're doing to the gas? I still think it's (Stale, reserve surplus gas, because it suddenly got cheap awhile ago!). I don't think the oil companies did this out of "the goodness of their heart". It makes sense, because now they can keep pumping to fill the reserves, and "Then once the smoke clears, slowly raise the price all over again".

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use 87 octane exclusively, from Kroger or Costco (both Top Tier rated.) This is more for price and convenience than quality, but when I have to buy elsewhere like on a road trip, I only use top-tier stations.

I did run 89 once after reading about it here, but didn't really notice any difference, and forgot to take a note of it to see if the mpg was any better.

I can feel a difference in gas quality on my bikes, and I'm often buying from remote stations where they don't turn it over very often, but never had bad gas in a car - at least, never enough to cause bad running or poor mpg.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Okay, Awhile ago I stopped buying BP 89, because the car began to run worse, instead of better, and lost a couple of mpg as well? I have been only using BP 87 since. I get the best power, & mileage on this over other brands too. Well, my lady went to fill up yesterday, and accidently got BP 89 instead. Next, she called me on the cell to say she just got gas, BP 89, and the car was "chugging"? I said, "I told you not to use 89 anymore, just 87", she forgot. Because the 89 wasn't the same anymore there? Next, we both noticed the gas mileage went from 20mpg, to 18mpg!

"Chugging" is the term she uses to describe that the car seems to be working harder then normal,,, lol, but I've definitely noticed this effect myself.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
eflyguy, you are right, the trip computer was accurate. I filled up to day and calculated mileage to 16.1 l/100km which is 14.61 MPG.

Atlanta looks to be similar temperatures and it looks as if you've never got below 16?

I guess next question is if there's anything I can try to improve the situation? Apparently the fuel filter needs to be replaced at 36K or something like that. Perhaps I could do it early. I read somewhere carbon might build up but not sure if that would be the issue.

P.S. what octane do you use?
Wait, have you changed your air filter element? Kia recommends every 12k, if you haven't changed it in 36k miles? It could be part of the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased my used 2014 Sorento EX with 6 cylinder & AWD. 3 days and 250 miles of city stop and go driving got me 13.8 mpg.
First - that seems low to me too, but it's AWD and some little hills, so...
Second - do you all think the mileage and odometer is reliably accurate?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Second - do you all think the mileage and odometer is reliably accurate?
Yes, unless your wheels and tire size is not original. The fuel flow measurement is not required to be accurate by law, but as it is all computer controlled, there's no reason to doubt it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Chicago. During spring and fall, I average about 15-16 mpg in heavy traffic and 18-19 MPG in more suburban traffic. Winter months takes a serious dip in MPG. During our last cold spell of temps below 0 F and wind chills of -20, I was getting 12 MPG.

Winter blend fuel is also not optimal for best fuel economy. During the summer on highway road trips, I can get 24-26 MPG doing a steady 65-70 MPH.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
carcinoid
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing