Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX - Satin Metal
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering about the new V6 in the 2014 and if any of the new owners could report the mpg? With a little smaller block has it made any difference with economy? :confused:

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Hi,

Just wondering about the new V6 in the 2014 and if any of the new owners could report the mpg? With a little smaller block has it made any difference with economy? :confused:
It's a smaller displacement, but higher output. I suspect mileage is going to be about the same.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
a question like this needs to be asked a few months down the road, the model has only just got to dealers lots and people need to accumulate some mileage to report with any resemblance of accuracy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Granted and agree. Just thought I would get the thread started. Will be interested to see how it compares to the new 2.0T in the new Santa Fe.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Nerd has an SX. He will probably report back in awhile. I pick up a SX on the 20th or so as well.

We both will have the 5 seater though. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference, if any at all, the 5 seater versus 7 seater gets.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is going to be highly dependent on driving style, considering how differently this engine and transmission feel depending on how lead-footed you choose to be.

22 mpg combined seems to be what I'm getting. Most of the way through my 3rd tank of gas now, to give you a sense of the enormous quantity of data we're working with here :). Haven't had a long highway cruise yet, so I don't really have a highway number, and nor do I ever stick to "city" conditions for long stretches of time without highway driving mixed in, so I won't ever really know the pure city number for my particular car.

If I remember, I'll update this from time to time as I rack up a few more miles. At some point in the next couple months I'll probably have a road trip where I burn a whole tank at cruising speed, so that'll be nice to know.

-Andrew

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is going to be highly dependent on driving style, considering how differently this engine and transmission feel depending on how lead-footed you choose to be.

22 mpg combined seems to be what I'm getting. Most of the way through my 3rd tank of gas now, to give you a sense of the enormous quantity of data we're working with here :). Haven't had a long highway cruise yet, so I don't really have a highway number, and nor do I ever stick to "city" conditions for long stretches of time without highway driving mixed in, so I won't ever really know the pure city number for my particular car.

If I remember, I'll update this from time to time as I rack up a few more miles. At some point in the next couple months I'll probably have a road trip where I burn a whole tank at cruising speed, so that'll be nice to know.

-Andrew
One thing to keep in mind too, is that the first tank of driving on the highway won't be as good as the second if you do consecutive tanks on the highway. We drove across Canada (6500 km) last year in our Koup and the first tank was not really that great. However, the next 8-9 tanks of gas gave really good numbers that were just slightly above EPA numbers.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
One thing to keep in mind too, is that the first tank of driving on the highway won't be as good as the second if you do consecutive tanks on the highway. We drove across Canada (6500 km) last year in our Koup and the first tank was not really that great. However, the next 8-9 tanks of gas gave really good numbers that were just slightly above EPA numbers.
Interesting. Any idea why that would be? I guess it might be the adaptive auto transmission "learning" about how to stay in overdrive on the highway (but I would have thought it would already know that trick)?

-Andrew

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
a question like this needs to be asked a few months down the road, the model has only just got to dealers lots and people need to accumulate some mileage to report with any resemblance of accuracy.
I'm not sure that I completely agree with this philosophy. My vehicle took until about the 15K mark to hit a couple MPG higher and be more consistent with what others were reporting... but if you think about it, that's 10%-15% of the expected life of the vehicle. I think that's a large percentage to just shrug off and say "it'll get better", and as the engine gets more miles it will drop again. Basically what I'm saying is it's worth considering what people are getting at all stages of ownership.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Interesting. Any idea why that would be? I guess it might be the adaptive auto transmission "learning" about how to stay in overdrive on the highway (but I would have thought it would already know that trick)?

-Andrew
I believe the ECU has to re-learn itself in a way to highway driving and not just the transmission. It would be how much fuel is being mixed/ignited at a consistent rate, etc.

It was only the first tank where I didn't get amazing mileage (475-500km). I mean, it was better than I was getting in the city (maybe 350-400km a tank), but compared to the latter tanks of gas (close to 600km a tank) it was kind of in the middle. There are just so many factors that it "adjusts" to when you're driving in the city all the time, not just the transmission. How many fuel to ignite on demand, etc. All of a sudden when you're in cruise control on the highway, that demand goes down. My best guess is that these aren't cutting edge computers running calculations, but computers that should last the lifetime and harsh conditions that your vehicle may go through.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX / 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2
42 Posts
We have 1,000 miles on our 2014 Sorento SX 2wd and avg. 23.4 since we bought it. 65% hwy - 35% city driving

·
Registered
20 Posts
With V6 EX AWD 3.3 70% city 30% Hwy my wife is averaging

1st tank 17.2
2nd tank 16.9 on display, 16.4 calculated
3rd tank 15 on display, 14.7 calculated

This week we'll try it with ECO mode off and see what happens

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
With V6 EX AWD 3.3 70% city 30% Hwy my wife is averaging

1st tank 17.2
2nd tank 16.9 on display, 16.4 calculated
3rd tank 15 on display, 14.7 calculated

This week we'll try it with ECO mode off and see what happens
L/100 km I assume?

We got really good first tank, horrible second. I think we picked up some winter grade on the second tank though.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
L/100 km I assume?

We got really good first tank, horrible second. I think we picked up some winter grade on the second tank though.
What's yours ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yikes...this is not good!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
27 Posts
only had my 2014 Sorento SXL for 2 weeks. I filled up the tank for the first time and getting 19.5 with all city driving without the eco setting on. I'll see what I get with my next tank full with the eco setting on. I haven't taken any long trips yet. Just driven to work and back.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
So we got into 13's l/100km our first tank according to the readout and then 17-18's l/100km on the second tank. Again, I think we hit some winter gas and it killed the mileage. Temperatures have also dipped quite a bit here in Edmonton again.

To be clear, this is 100% city driving though with a ton of stop and go since we live in downtown Edmonton. I'm sure if you mixed in some highway, these numbers would fall down quite substantially. When I had my Forte, we always got amazing mileage on the highway, but truly subpar mileage in the city. Perhaps this is a Kia trademark? :p I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
EPA states the 2014 V6 mpg same as the 2011-13 V6 mpg. I was expecting a noticeable increase because of the smaller displacement and new direct fuel injection even with the "increased" horsepower.:(

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
During a 2 years monitoring, my 2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD had a 12L/100 km average with only 20% of city use but with harsh Canadian winter in Quebec.

Hope my 2014 Sorento SX V6 AWD will be better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts