Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering changing my oil fairly quickly after purchase to put in Mobil 1 full synthetic and was going over info in my owners manual and where it is stating the fluids in the vehicle it had a trademark symbol there that said Total Quartz, I had no idea what that was but I googled it and it is a performance oil company. Company name is Total and Quartz is their performance synthetic oil line. So coming from the factory with synthetic is nice.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's generally thought best to leave the original oil up to the first service. If you can believe that the logo actually means something about the original oil, that will be some reassurance for you.

Let's hope that Total Quartz doesn't actually contain quartz. It's common for oils to have exotic additives that sound "strong" or "lubricative" (I'm thinking of titanium and molybdenum here), but quartz? Soon we'll see diamond (Oil lasts forever; get it?).

Particularly in the US, there's a tendency to change the first oil quite early; the thinking is to get rid of chunks of metal left from the manufactuiring process. Bit of a myth, I'd say, and the filter would get rid of any (unlikely) remnants. Our Cerato went for 13,000 km with the original oil, which stayed quite clean-looking and the engine has been fine since then.

No doubt Mobil 1 is a good oil, but I wonder if it would have the same appeal had it been called Mobil 2? It's a bit pricey in Australia.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to total's website and I dont believe it actually contains quartz. Total looks like a new green/eco-friendly type of oil company..... if that makes any sense, kind of a oxymoron. I wasnt to worried about break-in metal, ect. as I have read that modern factory produced engines dont need the oil changed immediately, just as you would normally service it. I was going to put the synthetic oil mainly for the increased start up protection due to the fact that it clings much better to the internal parts after the motor is turned off. Most of a vehicles engine wear occurs at start up due to the lack of proper lubrication. My local walmart has the 5 quart bottles of Mobil 1 for 26 bucks. Only 9-10 bucks more than the 5 quart conventional motor oils. My local dealer charges 39.99 extra to put in syn. oil during a service and that is for 5 quarts, the 3.3 v6 takes 6 quarts so it would be even more than the 39.99. I will just give them my own bottles of syn oil to put in. The service manual says to service 7500 miles unless you use it under severe conditions. I was a little hesitant to wait that long with conv. oil but with syn. oil it is ok.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Some brands of oil are advertised as sticking to the parts ready for start-up, and there may be something in this (e.g. Castrol Magnatec). I didn't think synthetic oils were particularly strong in this feature; longer life perhaps. I use Castrol 5W-30 Edge (Synthetic) in some cars. Cerato gets Caltex 10W-30 Premium Plus (Non-synth).

I'm a bit of a believer in sticking to the one type of oil for a particular car. I've mostly used Castrol products, quite often 10W-40 or 15W-40, and never had any problems. "Knowing what I now know", I would probably have used 10W-30 for my 10 year old Mazda 6, but figure it's a bit late to introduce a new grade of oil to a mature engine. I chose Caltex for the Cerato just for a change, also that was the oil recommended by a KIA dealer; readily available for about $35 aqnd seems to do the trick. Recommended change interval is 12 months/15000km or 6 months/7500km under harsh conditions.

We here in Oz pay a lot for cars and car products. Run-of-the-mill oils are about $30 per 5 litres, while Mobil 1 is $95. Single-litre bottles are inflated to nearly double the large-bottle price.

Mobil 1 Engine Oil - 0W-40, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, I had been looking at the Mobil 1 at Advance Auto Parts and it was running on sale around 36-37, I was happy to see it on sale in the walmart. I read all the labels to make sure it wasnt some knock-off of Mobil 1 for walmarts. It is the real thing and for 10.00 less than normal price of the syn oil and only about 10 more than dino oil. And 'Cuda dont think I am ready for a diamond oil......sounds a little rich. Ba dump duh
As far as Mobil 2 goes if it was an upgraded mobil syn oil, why not. Jusy look at WD-40. Water Displacement Formula # 40, took them 40 tries till they got it perfect. ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yes, I've read Bob is the Oil Guy (BITOG) a fair bit. Only problem is there's too much information.

This is a good general link: Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

I already have a fair bit of oil in the shed (in fact my wife thinks I am BITOG); up to 2 years supply for my various cars and small engines. I'm thinking of rationalising to one type of oil and Total oil as mentioned might be the answer. Endorsement by KIA is encouraging. Costs about $10 per litre.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes BTOG is very detailed and redundant, but if you go through his whole oil university as he calls it, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd time to make sure it all takes, you will be most likely the most knowledgeable person in your neighborhood. That article you had the link to made my night(just got home from a baseball game and it wasnt pretty for us) when it was confirming that Mobil 1 extended performance is a true class 4 synthetic oil(as I have 4 gallons of it in my laundry room). Total oil looks promising but it doesnt have a strong presence in the US, not many auto parts stores have it. Besides I like Mobil 1 extended performance, and I like it even better when 5 quarts are only 27$ when it is on sale, hence the 4 gallons in my laundry room.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Total does not have a strong presence in Australia, although it is commonly used in auto service centres; it's also not available through the auto parts stores at present, but I hear that it might be on the way.

There's a local wholesaler who also sells to the public at reasonable prices, so I've decided to migrate to 5W-30 Total Quartz synthetic as I use up my current supply of various oils. Looks like the lawn mowers will be getting the last of the Castrol 10W-40 Magnatec!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you take mighty fine care of your lawnmowers, maybe you will get 100,000 miles out of them. :)
Who knows maybe in a couple years I will migrate to Total. My Sorento has a 200,000/20 year warranty(my local dealer doubles the normal factory warranty, great huh and they dont charge more, their prices are actually a little lower than large city dealers) but for now I will stick to Mobils' best synthetic the Mobil 1 extended performance.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I retired my last mower after 30 years of very hard work at our beach house. Briggs and Stratton "utility" mower that did a lot of scrub-bashing. Motor was in perfect condition but all the ancillaries had either broken or rusted off. Yes, Castrol every 6 months.

I like the double warranty. Problem with our warranties is the cost of dealer service. Some require you to bring it in every 6 months.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Traditionally I havent taken my vehicles to the dealer for servicing, instead choosing a reputable local guy. But being the service interval called for is 7500 miles under normal conditions, and being it is filled with synthetic(which makes me believe in that interval) the servicing will be less frequent than on my previous vehicles....3-4000. Also my local dealer pretty much all the time has service specials, which are competitive if not better than other service providers around. The only gaff is that their routine service special is for dino oil. To use synthetic it is 40 extra. So I will be bringing my unopened 5w-30 Mobil 1 extended performance with me and let them have it to put in after they drain it and change the filter, as I paid less than 40 bucks for it and I would rather have this type of Mobil oil in it. And believe it or not the guy at the desk making the service appointments was doing his best to talk me out of synthetic oil, that dino oil was so much cheaper and "nowadays" using synthetic oil doesnt really give you and advantage, because you are waiting longer to change it, he said it was better to use dino and change every 5000 versus using syn. and waiting to 7500. Needless to say he didnt convince me especially after I completed BITOG university....I am like a oil guru now....jk

·
Registered
254 Posts
For my 2014 Sorento SXL AWD I will use Mobil 1 as it is ILSAC GF5 (same as API SN Resource Conserving) and GM dexos 1 certified. The owner's manual says ILSAC GF4 (API SM) is the minimum. There are many other ILSAC GF5 and dexos 1 certified oils.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts