Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's some comparison shots I took of the two models. I find it easier to compare when you see them side by side:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
Great job on the comparison conwelpic. Like I said, the 2012's and earlier models never interested me, but the 2014's have a very sharp look about them. These pictures really show off the differences they made.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I have to admit, I like the look of the new model on the sides, smaller windows, more sharp on the sides, but the front and back look too 'round' and bubbly. The tail lights on the 2012 are nice and sharp looking, the new ones are way smaller and round looking, not attractive to me.

The front grille, looks too 'round' and misshapen to me as well. I think, personally, that they should have updated the Rondo, and continued with the more squarish, sharp design lines like they have with models like the Forte and most of the other vehicles in the Kia line. They've made this look more like a mini van now, and not a cool one either.

Don't get me wrong, I wish my 2012 had all the 'features' of the new model, but the over all looks of the outside, are not very impressive to me.

This of course if only my opinion, and I tend to like more 'square' or boxy, sharp designs etc. I like old Cadillacs, early to mid 60's cars like the Impala, falcon, galaxy etc lol so that tells you right there what I like lol!

·
Registered
484 Posts
lol, I am exactly the opposite. While I enjoy hard lines in places, I prefer things to look more rounded and contoured vs boxy. Take the front headlights for example. On the older Rondo they look like giant bubbles, on the 2014's the headlights look very sexy and when the DRL's are on, look very sharp indeed. I would say that the new rondo looks less like a minvan and more like a crossover. I reminds me of a slightly larger Mazda3 or a Toyota Matrix, with some better styling (imo). The tailights aren't anything special, but in the EX Luxury model the tailights use an LED ring that illuminates all around the outside of the lamp and looks very nice. Shame it wasn't available on the EX model, but I guess they need to give people a reason to upgrade I guess.

I found the older rondo too look like a boxy station wagon I guess, whereas I find this one to be lower and more streamlined.

One man's treasure is another man's garbage though. Can't please everyone ;)

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
I love the new front, the grill is simply blowing a kiss to all its rivals!

·
Banned
79 Posts
I'm glad to see they at least put in more power outlets in back, an actual cargo light in the rear/hatch section finally, and that it comes with a rear cargo cover (both things my 2012 did NOT come with lol).

I don't know why on earth they would put TWO lights in the roof, and not ONE in the rear cargo area. Oh well, that's what the 'dollar store' is good for, got a new light back there, l.e.d's for $2 lol!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I prefer the 2012 steering wheel. It's the only thing I would change about the 2014....I just can't stand the new one!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I will say that the 2014 steering wheel is very nice to hold onto. To each their own I guess on the button placement of things. But no complaints here. It is a little different from my 2011 Sportage, a few extra buttons.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2012 Rondo vs 2014 LX specifications

there was quite a few comments with regards the pricing for the 2014 vs the 2012, so hopefully this will make it bit easier to understand and compare. However, I was not a easy exercise and don't guarantee 100% accuracy. The base LX and the top model were not too bad to cross-check but in between was not easy as there is so much overlap between models it became very difficult. Hope its helpful to someone. Any obvious errors or duplication let me know. :D

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2012 Rondo vs 2014 dimensions

you will notice the large drop on the cargo area behind the front seats (from 73.6 to 65 cu. ft.), however, this is more to do with the fact cargo is measured to the roof and that is now lower, the floor area it just about the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts