Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 KIA Rondo EX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted before. Searched and could not find. Anyway my 2014 Rondo with 85,000 km (warranty expires end of July 2018 or 100,000 km, whichever comes first) started knocking last week. I took it to my dealer for diagnosis. They have determined that it needs a new short block as the knocking is coming from the bottom end (bearings). I was asked to submit my proof of engine lubrication (oil changes), which I was able to provide. They have submitted a claim with Kia Canada for work to be done. I have never had this issue before, so any advice would be appreciated. Hopefully there will be no issues getting this engine repaired. When it is repaired, does anyone know what the warranty on the repaired engine will be?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Rondo EX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish me luck

Thanks Rio Taxi!
Looks like Allan was subjected to a horrific ordeal time-wise anyway. Very stressful I'm sure. I hope I don't suffer the same fate. I have to make this engine last until they at least get the warranty claim processed with KIA Canada. The service manager at my dealership told me he did not think it would seize in the interim. He seems to be okay so far. Hopefully they will provide me with a loaner if it does seize and/or they get the claim processed and they begin the rebuild. I know that the KIA warranty does not cover rentals. I have really enjoyed this car so far. It's been great for moving stuff around....lots of cargo space with seats folded down. Plenty of passenger room too. Fuel economy has been terrible though. Nowhere even close to the stated numbers, and I drive it very gently in ECO mode.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
446 Posts
If I were you I'd park the vehicle on their lot, and give them the keys.

Today.

The service manager isn't going to pay out of the dealerships pocket if your engine quits tomorrow, and if KIA decides that they won't warranty it now, because in their minds (and mine) you should not have been driving it, with a suspected issue on which a warranty claim has been submitted for, you are out of luck to the tune of 5 figures. And if you look at the http://www.camvap.ca/ site and search KIA you'll see they don't exactly have a 100% claims approval ratio.

It is incumbent on you to mitigate future damages for their benefit as well.

I worked in the bizz for 20+ years, just sayin. Leave the car there as the ball is in their court. Good luck !

·
Registered
2015 Sportage EX Luxury AWD
93 Posts
Following this thread, hope they take care of you. All these engine failures have me a little paranoid.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Rondo EX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to the manager of the dealership today. He issued me a guarantee that my car will be repaired regardless of what happens to the engine going forward. He said I do not have to worry. He said because they authorized me to take the car its on them if it breaks down completely now. I feel much more comfortable now. Thanks Rio Taxi for the advice. You gotta cover your butt on these matters.

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2017
61 Posts
@Aero -
I don't seem to find particularly high number of engine problems with Rondo.
Personally, my 2000 Toyota Corolla barely made it to 100,000 miles due to engine issues the dealer could not fix. :) I have this feeling that My Sorento will do much much better than that

NOW, do you want to see some engine problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 KIA Rondo EX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update #1

On Feb. 1, 2018 I brought my Rondo in to this dealership (Cambridge KIA) to investigate a knocking sound coming from the engine. I was told that the engine main bearings were gone. I was asked to provide paperwork proving proper maintenance (which I did). I was told that a warranty claim would be initiated to have the short block replaced. Going forward, I checked in with the service manager (Shawn) who informed me that I needn't worry. My claim would be processed but it could take a while for parts to come in. Around April 5, I called Shawn again (he never returns my calls) to check in on progress of my claim. I was informed that my claim was not in the system (it had been lost due to a dealership ownership change) and that I would have to bring the vehicle back in, and begin the inspection and warranty claim all over again. So I immediately brought the vehicle in for them to check out, once again. I informed Shawn that I need the car fixed ASAP as I have had some health issues that I have been attending to in Toronto and that I need to rely on my vehicle for transportation to and from these appointments. As of this writing I have had no contact from Shawn regarding this repair. However, I did go speak to a Manager in Niagara Falls (Shelley Roote/Cardinal Kia) on a recent trip. My brakes needed replacing so I took it there. I explained to her the issues I have been having getting my repairs done and she informed me that the story that Shawn gave me about losing my claim due to the ownership change of dealership was impossible as they use computers for such claims! She told me I was welcome to leave the vehicle there and she would get the repairs done pronto). I should not have to do this as I purchased the vehicle locally. I also received an offer in the meantime from Cambridge KIA offering to offer me above market value for my Rondo on a trade! I went in and the salesman tried to offer me a trade for a 2013 KIA. Offered me auction price for my Rondo! Not Happy at all!

·
Registered
2014 KIA Rondo EX
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update #2

Well, It was finally repaired in June with a new short block. They also replaced the timing chain and tensioner assembly. This was good news and I was satisfied with the workmanship. It has been running very well ever since. They said that the reason for the delay was due to difficulty they have getting KIA Canada to pay for warranty claims. That's not my problem as a customer and a very poor excuse to boot.

Furthermore - I did not receive my customer survey until Sept. 11 at which time they (KIA Canada) asked me to complete a satisfaction survey regarding my recent service at Cambridge KIA. Having the service completed in June and the survey sent in September, I accidentally replied that I had not received any recent service and did not complete the survey. A couple days after I did this, the dealership called and asked me that when I received my survey, if I would complete it with a 100% satisfaction rating of the dealership, they would give me a free $400+ detailing of the vehicle. I explained to them that I had closed the survey as explained above and they told me that I would have to contact KIA Canada to request a new survey. KIA Canada explained to me that the survey was triggered upon closure of the work order, and that this could only be completed by the dealer. I contacted the dealer and they said they could not close the work order twice, so I did not get to submit the survey. I was actually undecided whether I was going to give them the 100% rating as I was not sure if it was ethical on my part or the dealers. Beware of this dealership if you are in this area. Crooked as a dogs hind leg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts