Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: so I was finally able to get a code pulled from the car and it's a p0705. When I look it up it says it could be a TCM or an ECM or could it be Transmission Range Sensors Any idea what it would cost to fix? When am I able to get these parts from somewhere other than Kia? Would I be able to change as myself or will they require being flashed after they're installed in the car or they just plug and play?

I own a 2014 Kia Rio ex I've had it since brand new at 116,000 km on it now.
As of late when I start the car and put it in to drive the icon on the gauge cluster that shows park drive reverse but once I've shifted from park into drive to start driving it within a minute or so the drive icon disappears from the cluster And when you switch it into manual mode where it normally would show the gear one, two three, four, five six nothing shows up with that either on the dash
The car is basically gutless you can step right on the gas pedal and the RPMs will shoot right up but it takes forever for the speed to pick up there's no rough shifts up or down.
But if I stop the car turn it off then back on the problem fixes itself and doesn't come back again until next time I have it after the car has sat.
Anyone else ever have this problem or have any ideas what this could be ?
No check engine lights on either.
thanks

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX 1.6 hatchback
50 Posts
Sounds 99% like the shifter position switch is bad. It is relatively easy to replace, you have to remove the battery and the battery tray. It's plug and play. Part is a bit less than $50. INSTALL THE OEM one. Buy it new in a hyundai/kia dealer, as it has been redesigned and early ones tend to fail in a lot of kia models.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wife has same car roughly same kms hers went few months back $360 for kia to do it. How difficult is it to do? I found the Kia manual on how to do it Said you got to put it in neutral and then leave a certain bolt loose so you can do fine tuning and tweaking and that or is it just plug and play. Take the old one out put the new one in

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX 1.6 hatchback
50 Posts
As long as you don't mess with the nut in the arm that holds the cable there is no need to make any adjustments. The switch wiggles a bit over the transmission. First remove one of the bolts and note the position over the bolt center to reinstall the new one in the same position. Then, remove the arm from the switch, remove the remaining bolt that holds the switch, install the new one and you're good to go.

Just don't touch the B nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts