Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant be the only one with this issue.

Per my local dealership, my engine failed due to barring wear causing metal scraps to enter the oil and basically stare my engine of oil. The engine has since seized.

The issue is, with the recall that happened in 2017 and now the class action lawsuit settlement just a couple days ago, everything keeps stating only the GDI engines are affected. The hybrid versions have MPI engines but all in all the same engine just the ability to receive from the electric motor as well as gas injection.

Does anyone know if I can join this class action for my MPI engine?
Does anyone know what other difference there is between the GDI and MPI?
Why does the GDI engine get recalled when the MPI is basically the same thing and does not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :(

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,262 Posts
It's unfortunate what happened to your engine, but I believe that it's way too late in the game for a recall to happen for the Theta MPI. And you also would probably be looking at replacing the hybrid battery sometime soon as well, so IMO it would be best at this point to get rid of it in whatever way brings the most $$ (which won't be a lot in any case). And I also believe the class action suit(s) for the MPI are a complete waste of time as well. But if you don't believe what I'm telling you, then carry on. Your vehicle your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cant be the only one with this issue.

Per my local dealership, my engine failed due to barring wear causing metal scraps to enter the oil and basically stare my engine of oil. The engine has since seized.

The issue is, with the recall that happened in 2017 and now the class action lawsuit settlement just a couple days ago, everything keeps stating only the GDI engines are affected. The hybrid versions have MPI engines but all in all the same engine just the ability to receive from the electric motor as well as gas injection.

Does anyone know if I can join this class action for my MPI engine?
Does anyone know what other difference there is between the GDI and MPI?
Why does the GDI engine get recalled when the MPI is basically the same thing and does not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :(
kia said is not the same engine but its not truth is the same fu,,ing engine except for the head beut the part is broken is the same part number than the 2,4 gdi is the same block the same cranckshaft and the same connecting rod and bearing and thats exactly what is fail on the hybrid

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,336 Posts
kia said is not the same engine but its not truth is the same fu,,ing engine except for the head beut the part is broken is the same part number than the 2,4 gdi is the same block the same cranckshaft and the same connecting rod and bearing and thats exactly what is fail on the hybrid
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts