Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is any way to change the fog lamps to amber(yellow) color, either by a cover or a bulb change, and if so, where they would be available?This for the LX style of fog lamps

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
You can buy a can of paint specially design for headlights/bulbs application.
I've seen Kobi411 did with with his fog bulbs.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
wait wait wait.. amber? or the selective yellow color?

if the selective yellow (3000k) use vinyl.. first.. using hair dryer and some distilled water as prep. see if you like it.. tinting with paint is permanent or you have to sand and polish it if you dont like it..

if amber you want; there is that 3020 leds in ebay that you can put in your fogs..

or you can buy 880 series bulb with yellow tint, i suggest the mtec ones.. or nokya; w/c has been good

ex/lx- 880 series bulb

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
The fog lights are the 881 bulb. These are only 27 watts and not very bright--their only real purpose is to light up the right side of the road so you can see the fog line or the ditch. If you just want the amber appearance, the do-it-yourself coating or LED bulbs will give the amber glow. If you want to put light on the road, look at the Nokya 2500°K bulbs on fleabay or elsewhere...but don't count on much of the light hitting the road from any of these weak 881 bulbs. And, there is no substitute that is better. Some will put in HID lighting, but that produces glare, not what anyone wants for fog driving.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I am just looking for appearance..I have run amber spots on all my Harleys for years, and like the look.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX V6
13 Posts
Check out Lumin-x;
Kia Sorento (2011, 2012, 2013) Headlight Covers, Round Fog light Covers| Lamin-x

They make a nice kit with clear film to protect your headlight covers and amber for the fogs. I think I will get this soon. Then try to find yellow bulbs (perhaps Nokya) when the white bulbs fail. The protective films will protect the plastic lenses from clouding due to sand and salt damage, and they don't diminish brightness. I have a similar product on my BMW.

I have also seen posts on the BMW forums where people take apart their lamps and paint the chrome bowls with yellow "stained glass" spray paint. Looks good and works pretty well. Some folks stick with white bulbs and others take it further with yellow bulbs.

My rant; White is useless in fog and snow and causes glare in rain. White is only useful for more light when driving in the dry. I do not understand why these lamps don't come from the factory set up yellow.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 ex With sunroof and leather + kawasaki Vulcan custom
86 Posts
I have 3000k hid ( on relay) love it!! in the rain,snow,fog work great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts