Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to start my project this week. Guys, the Metra Harness 71-7303 & 70-7303 is not for the UVO (non-infinity) Head Unit, not even remotely similar; what a waste of $$. I will have to splice the factory wires since I haven't been able to find the correct harness, and I only needed the speaker output for the JL Cleansweep.
I put together some screenshots of the Metra harness/Stock UVO Unit:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2831555/Sorento/Harness.pdf

Head Unit:
Stock UVO mated to JL Cleansweep

Amps:
Pioneer GM-D9500F 4 channels for Speakers
Pioneer GM-D7500M mono for sub

Speakers:
Front-JBL GTO608C components
Rear-JBL GTO628 Coaxials

Sub:
Pioneer TS-SW841D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's no easy way to run power into the cabin. I took the driver side fender well cover off and ran a 4 Gauge thru the grommet just behind the door. Comes in just slightly behind the hood latch lever.

Power attached to battery terminal:

Power/Fuse Holder:

Power thru the rubber gromet, after removing the fend well cover:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Removed the stereo, center console, door panels and front seats:

Rear speaers are, they fit like a glove:

..ran out of time, will continue this weekend.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX 4cyl, 2013 Veloster Turbo
14 Posts
Looking good so far! Getting the power wire to where I wanted it under the front seat took me some time .... I ended up sneaking it through the grommet next to the condensation line for the AC.

·
Registered
Suzuki Kizashi SE (soon to be Kia Optima), Kia Sorento SX
9 Posts
And looking at these pictures makes me realize why I PAY so much $$$ to have stuff like that done!

Good job, but it looks like a BIG headache to me. I wish I had the skill, knowledge and patience to take on a task like that. I would love to improve the sound of this UVO system, but since I am leasing and don't plan on paying someone big money I will suffer with its performance. Keep the pics coming though, I cant wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the correct harness for the UVO is Metra 73-7304, unfortunately, I have already spliced my factory harness.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
project is somewhat completed.

-4 channel amp under the driver seat
-mono amp under the passenger seat
-cabling from radio to amps run along the driver side of the center console
-JL Cleansweep installed in the glove box
-8" sub intalled in the hatch area (can be easily moved to the far back when the 3rd row seats are up)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JBL Tweeters were installed in the factory panel, secured by plastic plumbing strap

Crossovers are velcroed to the backside of the door panels, perfect spots

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Component woofers are in, same as the rear, they fit like a glove

Passenger side is a lot cleaner

Subwoofer in the hatch area

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JL Cleansweep in the glove box

Cleansweep volume and LED installed in the blank between the seat heater controll (much hacking is needed to clear the volume nob computer, like putting a square peg in a round hold)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am not impressed with the Cleansweep, sound is not that much better than the factory head unit. Also, I am having issues with this device. It is installed properly but intermittently refuses to output to the amps. Car has to be shut off for a few minute for the Cleansweep to reset it self and work again, very annoying; maybe a defective unit but so far.
I just ordered the Metra Dash Kit & Harness. I'm going to bite the bullet and install my old Pioneer x920BT unit instead. Giving up the the camera system and steering wheel control but will gain GPS and better sound quality.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything was very easy to remove and re-in. There are very few screws to remove as most parts are being held on by clips. The best way to remove the front seats is to fold the second row down, and pull the seats out of the car over the 2nd row seats.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was having issues with the JL Cleansweep unit. I wasn't getting any sound at all, and the system would only work after the car has been shut off for a while. I contacted JL and they said I needed the CL-LSA adaptor that goes in between the head unit and the Cleansweep unit. The reason being is that the stock head unit has built in protection circuitry, and when it doesn't sense the right load, the internal amp shuts off, hence why often times I wasn't getting any output.

This was a stupid move of JL Audio, especially considering the purpose of the Cleansweep unit and how inexpensive the CL-LSA adaptor is; they should have included one in the box. I was so frustrated, I was about to replace the stock head unit completely with a Pioneer unit I have.

Anyway, after re-calibrating the Cleansweep unit with the adaptor in place, the system sounds great now, definitely cleaner than stock.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX 4cyl, 2013 Veloster Turbo
14 Posts
So one thing I am struggling with is some 'white noise' coming from the speakers when the radio is off and the car is on. I checked and there is 6 volts on the + speaker wires when the car is on and the radio is off. The aftermarket amps are on anytime the car is on (wired to 12v switched ACC) and you get a little fuzz. Do you notice this? I have the same JBL component speakers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My amps remote is from the cleanweep. No noise here. Is the noise loud? The only thing i can suggest is make sure your amp is grounded well. I have mine grounded underneath the center console.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
I decided to start my project this week. Guys, the Metra Harness 71-7303 & 70-7303 is not for the UVO (non-infinity) Head Unit, not even remotely similar; what a waste of $$. I will have to splice the factory wires since I haven't been able to find the correct harness, and I only needed the speaker output for the JL Cleansweep.
I put together some screenshots of the Metra harness/Stock UVO Unit:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2831555/Sorento/Harness.pdf

Head Unit:
Stock UVO mated to JL Cleansweep

Amps:
Pioneer GM-D9500F 4 channels for Speakers
Pioneer GM-D7500M mono for sub

Speakers:
Front-JBL GTO608C components
Rear-JBL GTO628 Coaxials

Sub:
Pioneer TS-SW841D

Thanks for this information. I'm planning to try a similar project, and yours is the only relevant info I can find!

But the pictures are all gone, can you repost them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
OK, the correct harness for the UVO is Metra 73-7304, unfortunately, I have already spliced my factory harness.
Have you confirmed this? Like you, I've been burned by harnesses that didn't match or do what they were supposed to.

I can't even find a Metra 73-7304 anyway.

Even metraonline seems to be pretty stingy with accurate information.

They offer:

Metra Part # 70-7303 | Hyundai KIA wire harness | Metra Online
Metra Online
Metra Online

The search doesn't find it, but I located this interesting part:
Metra Online

Considering metra parts are stupidly overpriced in Canada, ordering the wrong one is annoying.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am not impressed with the Cleansweep, sound is not that much better than the factory head unit.
I initially considered the Cleansweep. But then I've read enough people saying it didn't work out for them that I decided not to roll the dice.

Your comment about not being impressed reinforced that idea.

But later you say it sounds great after adding the CL-LSA adapter.

Since the CL-LSA adapter should have no possible effect on the sound, the question has to be asked whether you are just getting used to the Cleansweep?

The only guess I can make is that the cleansweep was turning off and on during your first calibration, and that after adding the adapter you got a better calibration. But that's a stretch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts