Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Epica
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a new 2013 Rio SX. I was initially leaning towards the navigation option (which can only REPLACE the UVO), but read on a review that the GPS system supplied with the Rio is very basic and actually eliminates some of the convenience features that the UVO offers (more specifically the voice command feature for both music and phone). Unfortunately, my local dealership did not have any nav-equipped Rio's on their lot so I wasn't able to play around with it at all. Has anybody had a chance to do this?

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
I personally went with the UVO entertainment system. The Nav unit is very nice looking and the larger screen is really sexy. It does lose some of the UVO features such as the Jukebox and the larger voice command library. I haven't used the Jukebox myself. The Nav unit does have some voice controls I believe and it definitely has the hands free bluetooth integration.

The deciding factor for me was the Nav functionality itself. Factory map updates are not cheap, I believe close to $150. If you're an advanced user, there may be a way to pirate a copy of the maps and do the update yourself. Some folks do this. Second, I have an Android smart phone with Google Nav. Yeah, unless I get a car mount I can't really see the screen. But I still get the voiced turn by turn instructions through the bluetooth audio with UVO.

Again I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX Luxury Inferno Red
122 Posts
Another option many folks opt. for, is that the $150 map update is the price of a stand alone GPS unit. Most of them, Garmin and so on, have free map updates for life.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I elected to pass on Navi when I ordered my SX as I prefer UVO & have 2 Garmins with lifetime free map updates.I think $1250 is too much & paying for additional updated mapping seems unnecessary to me.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
I decided to get the Navi option. Although the cost is a bit high, I do like the bigger screen for the reverse camera. Also, as Willy mentioned, it does have voice controls too, it's just missing the Jukebox stuff.

And well, the Navi really looks nice in the dash too :)

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Epica
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your input. For those of you who have had a chance to play with the nav, are you still able to use the voice command feature to control your media functions (such as search for music and whatnot), and make phone calls (ie by saying "Call Brian")?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
angie B3 - you can download the owners manual for the NAV system from KGIS and read all about it. https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp and its free!

I have the UVO with back-up camera in my Soul and for my use can't justify the extra cost of the NAV for the limited use I would need it for. For day to day use you usually know all the roads anyway, so the only time I have use for one is my trips or vacations. Therefore I use a separate GPS unit (Garmin) for the odd time I need it and the rest of the time it can be hidden away.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Even though NAVI looks 'sexy' and makes this small car 'luxurious', unless you are willing to pay premium for map updates it will become quite unreliable in a few years. I find no point having manufacturer's NAVI for 90% of city driving - the same route day by day.
Garmin does the work splendidly and they have map updates every 3 months.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Nav Silver/Black
68 Posts
does anyone know how to get the cable that connects to the car, i would love to be able to play with my car like i was able to do with VAG-COM with my VW..

angie B3 - you can download the owners manual for the NAV system from KGIS and read all about it. https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp and its free!

I have the UVO with back-up camera in my Soul and for my use can't justify the extra cost of the NAV for the limited use I would need it for. For day to day use you usually know all the roads anyway, so the only time I have use for one is my trips or vacations. Therefore I use a separate GPS unit (Garmin) for the odd time I need it and the rest of the time it can be hidden away.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
7 Posts
navi ftw!
i like the reverse camera, and the voice commands dont work for media, but they work excellent for phone and gps instructions. i drive a lot in various cities, and dislike clutter on my windshield, so navi was a good fit for me. plus, i wanted the manual, and they only had one on the lot. ;)

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
navi ftw!
plus, i wanted the manual, and they only had one on the lot. ;)
You have a 2013 SX manual?? I thought the manuals just got announced in the US market and havent been introduced yet.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
There were a few in Canada.My dealer had one & sold it.Now no longer orderable. IMHO I personally don't get all the hoopla about the 6 speed manual as I feel the Automatic suites the torque of the engine & the clutch is a little numb.I drove a couple before getting 2013 SX (was considering an EX 6 Speed Manual as an alternative).

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I think this is personal preference but I've been driving stick since I got my drivers license and I find driving automatic rather boring. Manual gives me the control and a little bit of fun.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan
19 Posts
I agree that manual ups the fun factor - it feels like you're a little more involved. I've always had manuals until this Rio EX - for me, it's mostly city driving and the stop&go is where manual loses its appeal. On the resale value side, most buyers are looking for auto transmission.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I have driven stick most of my life, except for the last 10 years or so. I love stick, until I'm in heavy stop and go traffic.....then it sucks. I strongly considered going back to manual when I bought my Rio SX but since my commute seems to be designed to create traffic, I decided to go for the auto. Been second guessing myself ever since.

My reference to the availability of the manual was for the US market. I realize it's been available in Canada for some time....although "available" may not really be the best word here.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
When I moved to LA back in 2000 people told me that I would long for an automatic car within a short time after I got my Civic with stick. I never did. It never bothered me. In heavy traffic you still have to use your right leg to switch between accelerator and break so with the clutch for the left leg it keeps a nice balance ;) ... just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I strongly considered going back to manual when I bought my Rio SX but since my commute seems to be designed to create traffic, I decided to go for the auto.
that's a cop-out :p

ours is used in very bad peak-hour crazy traffic, our main road is 3 lanes of stop-start insanity. Luckily the clutch is actually like stepping on marshmallows, so it's not that hard.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Ok the main reason I didn't get the manual was availability. It was going to be a 2 (or more) month wait for the manual. An auto was a few days away. I'm an instant gratification kind of guy....I wanted it NOW. So, the auto it was. I'm happy with the auto but every so often I look down at my shifter and imagine....

that's a cop-out :p

ours is used in very bad peak-hour crazy traffic, our main road is 3 lanes of stop-start insanity. Luckily the clutch is actually like stepping on marshmallows, so it's not that hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts