Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be crazy, but when I double click my lock button on the fob I only get a low level chirp. Does this mean I have no alarm? I'm used to having a horn honk when the alarm is engaged.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
I don't think our Sorentos come with factory alarms, only engine immobilizers.
Well, for Canadian Sorentos we don't. I'm just not sure for you guys in the States.

See your manual for double-checking.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
I believe the chirp means the alarm is on. One way to test is leave window open, close the door and lock with the remote. Then reach in and unlock and open the door. Alarm should go off.

I believe there is a dealer option to have the horn sound instead of the chirp...not sure.

I prefer the chirp as it's much less noise/offensive, especially at night or when visiting.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you're saying about the chirping vs. the honking. I guess I'm just old school and "need", "crave", "want" confirmation. I'll ask the dealer about it...thanks guys.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I'm pretty sure our Sorento's do have alarms. I've had friends set it off by opening the door if I lock them in using the keyfob.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm pretty sure our Sorento's do have alarms. I've had friends set it off by opening the door if I lock them in using the keyfob.
Mine doesn't have one. Tried opening it from the inside while double-locked (folded side mirrors) but no alarm went off.

Is there a Kia oem alarm available in the dealership?

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
How was it locked?

The side mirrors can be folded in without locking it.

You need to lock it from the remote and if you had the remote with you, it won't lock if you're inside the vehicle...it see the fob and unlocks when you try to lock it.

As I said, leave window open, get out of the car, close the door and lock it with the remote. Then reach in through the open window and unlock and open the door. Tell us what happens.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
How was it locked?

You need to lock it from the remote and if you had the remote with you, it won't lock if you're inside the vehicle...it see the fob and unlocks when you try to lock it.

As I said, leave window open, get out of the car, close the door and lock it with the remote. Then reach in through the open window and unlock and open the door. Tell us what happens.
Interesting...I just did this and it didnt go off. I could have sworn the alarm went off when I locked my friend in and she opened the door.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX, 2.4L. FWD
16 Posts
According to my owners manual I have an alarm but when I lock the door with the window open I can reach inside and unlock and open the door and nothing happened. When I do the same thing and wait until all the lights go out I reach inside and I can't unlock the door. In the dark I can see a little blue light flushing on the top edge of the windshield. I never could get the alarm to go off if I have one.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
There is usually no flashing light. I have a remote start and the antenna has a flashing blue light. Most likely you have an aftermarket remote start. Is that correct? What does your keyfob look like?

If that's so, chances are, the install was not correct or it doesn't interface completely with the factory alarm.

edit. Just saw shsch that yours is an lx. It might not have an alarm. Don't know. You should ask your dealer to make sure.

·
Registered
573 Posts
How was it locked?

I locked the vehicle and left the window open. Now, i stood outside the driver's door and reached for the door handle inside and opened it, but to no avail.

If i have an alarm, i don't see any reason for it not to go off whether or not i have the fob with me, as long as it's open from the inside when armed/locked.

Besides, i didn't see a single word on my manual about having a factory alarm.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
When I was shopping around for a remote start, one installer said I might need an alarm as well. We then tested out whether my SX had an alarm or not and I was able to set off the alarm.

I'll try again and confirm what steps I take to make it go off.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It may take a minute or two for the alarm to kick in ?
What happens when you press the "alarm" button on the bottom (Horn image or "car finder") ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
It may take a minute or two for the alarm to kick in ?
What happens when you press the "alarm" button on the bottom (Horn image or "car finder") ?
It is not an "alarm" button, but it is a panic button/car finder - useful when you can't remember where you park yours in a sea of cars

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Got it.

Same thing happened to me when I tried my original steps.

After locking with the remote, you have to wait. Not sure how long. I waited 30-60 seconds.

After that, horn started honking when I opened the door reaching hand in. I did not use the power button to unlock. I used the manual button just under the inside handle.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Got it.

Same thing happened to me when I tried my original steps.

After locking with the remote, you have to wait. Not sure how long. I waited 30-60 seconds.

After that, horn started honking when I opened the door reaching hand in. I did not use the power button to unlock. I used the manual button just under the inside handle.
I'll try it later before going home from work.

EDIT:

My SX truly has an alarm :) Was able to set it off by reaching inside the door and unlocking it, but first locking the SUV with the windows down and waiting for a minute to arm.

Happy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts