Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just got my 2013 Sportage SX on the 19th and I love it. However, I just have a couple of questions in regards to some small issues.

1. Currently I have less than 600 miles on the car and there is a noticeable rattle coming from what seems to be the front passenger side door. The noise is almost continuous and will occur with or without bumps. I have tried multiple things to narrow down where the noise could be coming from. I have removed everything from the glove box, turned the air off, windows up, down, half way, sun visor up/down, nothing else in the car, driving fast/slow/normal, music on/off, yet the sound continues. Any other ideas on how I can troubleshoot or solve this issue? :confused:

2. I am taking it to the dealer on Thursday the 31st to have the mud guards installed. I am also having them take a look at the driver's side rear view mirror as it seems to be distorted (I'll probably have them listen for the rattle too). It almost has a fun house mirror effect to it. This does not make changing lanes very easy... :huh: Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Sportage 2011
37 Posts
Sound wierd, but I had a rattle all the time coming from the passenger side. It turns out that the problem where a pair of sunglasses in the box that makes the noise, but it was hard to notice it :( ... shame on me, but it could be useful if you check that box.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Arrrg! My mirror is also very distorted. You're right, it makes it a lot tougher to use. I've been meaning to take it in to the dealer. I'm also going to have them check a soft/squishy brake pedal that goes to the floor if you push long enough. It may be air in the lines or a bad seal in the master cylinder. It also pulls to the left when I brake hard.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Although this doesn't help find your noise, I have found through experience that modern cars have a strange resonance which makes noises sound like they are coming from somewhere when they are really coming from somewhere else. A sunroof rattle can easily sound like hatch rattle, for example.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage Platinum Diesel
37 Posts
Hi everyone,

.... there is a noticeable rattle coming from what seems to be the front passenger side door. The noise is almost continuous and will occur with or without bumps. I have tried multiple things to narrow down where the noise could be coming from. I have removed everything from the glove box, turned the air off, windows up, down, half way, sun visor up/down, nothing else in the car, driving fast/slow/normal, music on/off, yet the sound continues. Any other ideas on how I can troubleshoot or solve this issue? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I checked everything after having something similar. Turned out to be the slider that covers the mirror in the visor. When left so the slider is not covering the mirror and the visor is up the slider would rattle inside the visor itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on the rattle:

I took it to the dealer and they said they were unable to reproduce the noise (surprise surprise). However, I had four separate people sit in the passenger seat and never mentioned that I had a noise coming from the passenger side. All four were able to easily hear it and all four people even pointed to the same general area from which they believe the sound is coming from. It sounds like it is coming from the upper right on the roof of the car. Just to mention, it is not so much a rattle as it is a clicking noise as if two pieces are rubbing together. I honestly do not know how to describe the area (I will upload a picture when I get home). Any more assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try recording it on video. Then take the stealer... dealer with you on a test drive so you can point it out to him.

Personally I would start taking things apart to fix it myself, as I've done in the past. If you happen to find something broken, then get the dealer to supply the part. Usually it's just a loose part.

Our Sportage had a rattley left rear tail light. I just tighted the screws myself to fix it.

Still have an issue with a left rear door that doesn't close properly like the rest of them. I have to slam it to get it to fully close. The latch needs adjustment and I haven't had time to look at it. Also kinda pissed about it and I want them to fix it along with the mirror.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Update on the rattle:

I took it to the dealer and they said they were unable to reproduce the noise (surprise surprise). However, I had four separate people sit in the passenger seat and never mentioned that I had a noise coming from the passenger side. All four were able to easily hear it and all four people even pointed to the same general area from which they believe the sound is coming from. It sounds like it is coming from the upper right on the roof of the car. Just to mention, it is not so much a rattle as it is a clicking noise as if two pieces are rubbing together. I honestly do not know how to describe the area (I will upload a picture when I get home). Any more assistance would be greatly appreciated.
From the pictures on KGIS there is rear washer hose running above the roof lining in the area you describe. And possibly more things. Could be its not attached properly,retaining clip slipped out... Also you don't mention if you have pano roof,that could also by source.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could be a loose headliner clip.
Could be a loose mount for the visor hinge.
Could be a loose bolt for the air curtain (this is actually not uncommon in many cars)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be a loose headliner clip.
Could be a loose mount for the visor hinge.
Could be a loose bolt for the air curtain (this is actually not uncommon in many cars)
I honestly know nothing about repairing cars. Is there any way I could check those myself or would it be better to let the Kia dealer take a look? Also, as another user mentioned, could it be the rear washer hose? It does run right across the area in question.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There might be some accessible screws for the visor. I'll take a look at ours later.
Removing the headliner can be pretty tricky, so you probably don't want to attempt it.

What you could do, is while it's making the sound, have your passenger push on the area to see if it goes away.

Otherwise record it on video and bring it to the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts