Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm receiving conflicting info from my dealer about Nav map updates for my 2013 Sportage.

One person says there are free and update over the air automatically. Another says there's a fee for each.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
How would one get it over the air?

Anyways, as far as I know you still have to pay for it. Although I don't see what stops people from sharing the upgrade.......just saying.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,056 Posts
Here we go again....how many NAV upgrade threads are needed?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have to enter the serial number located on the sticker on the USB stick onto a form on the website. You will get another number in return which you have to enter onto the NAV system prior to the software update.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
The registration code requirement
You just write down your code when you register it, that code is exclusive to that drive/software. The USB drive has no active ability to know what car it is in. At least not that I know of; maybe it uses the satellite system or something like that.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to Kia, the updates are not free. However, my NAV system appears to be up to date.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
You just write down your code when you register it, that code is exclusive to that drive/software. The USB drive has no active ability to know what car it is in. At least not that I know of; maybe it uses the satellite system or something like that.
I could remember wrong but I think to get the code I had to enter the serial number from my NAV along with the serial number from the USB drive into a web page.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I could remember wrong but I think to get the code I had to enter the serial number from my NAV along with the serial number from the USB drive into a web page.
Correct, but once you get the code you should be golden. I don't think the code to install the update has anything to do with the nav unit or anything. Something tells me they make people go through all those steps as a deterrent.

I could obviously be wrong, I guess there is only one way to know for sure. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts