Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul+ MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New forum member. I'm leaning toward purchasing a Soul and saw something at the dealership that didn't make sense (and which the sales people had trouble explaining).

In the base model I looked at, the cargo "floor" was a flimsy piece of carpet that was recessed (about 6 inches lower than the plane of the back seats when folded down). Sat right on top of where the spare tire would go and clearly could not support much weight at all. However, on the plus model I looked at, the cargo "floor" was comprised of a piece of foam that formed small storage compartments placed over the spare tire area and then a slightly thicker piece of carpet than found in the base model sat over that. The end result was a bed that matched the quality and height of the back seats when folded down. This is more what I would expect as standard in ALL models of the Soul.

Can somebody explain what I saw? Was the particular base I saw likely missing something that should have been there? Or is this some kind of option upgrade? From what I understand, a cargo cover and a cargo mat are different from what I'm referring to having seen in the plus model.

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul+ MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After quite a bit of poking around, it seems what I'm referring to is called a "cargo organizer with hard cover", and is standard on all but the base model?

So now here's the larger, more important question: What else is "missing" or inferior on the base model that is not being advertised?

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
welcome to the forum, your correct about that missing in the base model, I presume you are in the US (you didn't fill out your location) in Canada this is not the case.

That feature is mentioned as an option in the base model. Also it depends whether you want a manual or automatic. When you get the automatic you get more items included with that option. Check this site out it clearly shows what you get with each model, if not then come back and ask us.
Kia Media

this is what you get standard in the + and ! models, optional on the base. However, in Canada this is standard on every model.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul, base, AT, White
2 Posts
I bought a Florida Base model Soul with AT and I was appalled that there was not even a space-saver spare tire, and no jack or lug wrench. There was however a re-inflation device, which of course is useless if you have extensive tire damage.

Over the top of that inflation device was a thin almost cardboard like cover with a cloth covering. All very cheap!!!

I bought a spare tire, exactly like the four on the ground, from my dealer, for $100.
The Cheap Cover now sits on top of the spare.

Here's that $100 spare sitting in the spare tire well.

And here it is with the cheap cover over it.

I cannot drive any car, even a Kia Soul, without a spare tire. So here's my current spare tire kit.

Overkill? Not when you've blown out a sidewall, along a country road, in the rain. Been there, done that and Hate It!

I hope you find what you need.
TechnoUser :cool:

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul+ MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
conwelpic & technouser, thanks for sharing the photos and information.

Yes, I have to admit, I know KIA's are know for value, but it is truly appalling to see what a cheap mess the rear cargo floor situation is in the base US model. Very disappointing indeed. Almost as much as the nearly $300 dealers are asking for what is essentially a piece of styrofoam and carpet to correct what should have come standard in the first place, before even getting into the lack of spare tire. <eyeroll>

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
they are just trying to get a low base price for the market so something has to go. Also its not really KIA that is to blame, its just the way KIA Motors US equips there models for the market. As I said KIA Canada brings them in equipped differently and they feel (as you do) that they all the models should have the tray and cover, but also our vehicles cost more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts