Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul+ MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new Soul and have read the engines in the 2013 Souls have been re-designed. The 1.6 in the base is apparently direct fuel injected while the 2.0 is not, but the 2.0 also has some kind of transmission re-design? Also, the Plus and Exclaim versions with the 2.0 engine are at least 100lbs heavier than the base model. So I'm wondering if anybody has test driven both engines in the 2013 models and noticed a difference, in acceleration, etc? I will be getting a manual transmission and am still trying to decide between a base and plus. I am not close to any dealers that have both versions on the lot so I am unable to compare first-hand yet. And am not having luck finding any 0-60 or 0-100 engine comparison specs either.

Sonic

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Can't comment much on the engines, but would recommend the 6-speed auto rather than the manual. Have read that KIA GDI isn't quite ready for prime time.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new Soul and have read the engines in the 2013 Souls have been re-designed. The 1.6 in the base is apparently direct fuel injected while the 2.0 is not, but the 2.0 also has some kind of transmission re-design? Also, the Plus and Exclaim versions with the 2.0 engine are at least 100lbs heavier than the base model. So I'm wondering if anybody has test driven both engines in the 2013 models and noticed a difference, in acceleration, etc? I will be getting a manual transmission and am still trying to decide between a base and plus. I am not close to any dealers that have both versions on the lot so I am unable to compare first-hand yet. And am not having luck finding any 0-60 or 0-100 engine comparison specs either.

Sonic
I thought with your logon name you would be looking at a Chev:D

The engine and transmission changes were done with the 2012 models, very little difference between a 2012 and 2013 models. I have the 2.0L Nu engine which is a MPI, the 1.6L is GDI, both engines have the 6-speed transmission both manual and automatic. The 1.6L is a Gamma engine and was changed to a GDI version for 2012. In the 2.0L prior to 2012 it was a Beta II series engine, new its a Nu series engine (which has the name suggest its brand new). The 1.6L puts out 138 ho and the 2.0L puts out 164 hp.

With regards your question I did not drive the 1.6L when I was test driving the Soul before purchase as I wanted the features in the vehicle that were only offered with the larger engine. I'm not sure on specifics but I think the 0-60mph on the 2.0L is about 8.5 seconds or there abouts, I think Road and Track or Car and Driver did some tests on this. However, the power all depends what you are used too and expect.

I find I have lots of power and on interstate type highways have not problem accelerating onto the highway from the on ramps and passing trucks. I find it very quiet at high speed and from the drivers view point the vehicle feels much larger than it is. I'm very pleased with 6 speed auto (one of the reasons I waited for the 2012 model) as I have owned mine for just a year now and not a single problem.

In the states the demand for this vehicle is very high, sales this year so far are exceeding last year, which was a record year for the Soul in the US, so not surprised many dealer are having problems stocking large selection of models.

here's a comparison chart showing the differences between the 2011 and 2012 models with regards engines and transmissions - 2013 model will be exactly the same.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul+ MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah...interesting, so the engines in the 2012 and 2013 are largely the same. Thanks for that information.

Here's some stats I found on a website but who knows if they are accurate:

2012 Kia Soul (1.6L) 0-60 mph 7.7 Quarter Mile 16.1

2012 Kia Soul+ (2.0L) 0-60 mph 7.0 Quarter Mile 15.4

Anybody else on the forum actually compare/test-drive the 1.6 vs 2.0 in either 2012 or 2013 models when shopping for a Soul??

·
Registered
'13 Soul 2.0+ Manual
24 Posts
Interesting thread. I bought my '13 Soul in such a hurry and unusual circumstance (it's a long story) I actually forgot to check whether I'd gotten a 1.6 or 2.0. I had to take a relatively long trip and noticed how completely reponsive the car is and how it seemed I had the pedal only halfway to the floor when accelerating up to 80 and beyond. when I got home I checked the window sticker and discovered it's a 2.0. Don't know how the 1.6 is, but the 2.0 is extremely satisfactory in acceleration. Glad I got the 2.0

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Base Model is 1.6Liter like you mentioned and yes it has the Gasoline Direct Injection. It is the Base/Starter model.
In order to help the smalle sized Engine power the Vehicle we offer the GDI.

When you upgrade to the Plus/+ or Exclaim ! you get the 2.0LIter engine but lose the GDI because the larger sized engine will easily power all the extra accessories and demands on the electrical system.

If your personal lifestyle demands POWER then stay with the 2.0L.
If your driving decision is Miles Per Gallon stay with the GDI WITH the ECO, which has the Idle Stop & Go Technology.

Good Luck in whatever decision you make!

Hi,

Sonic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts