Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was cruising the lot last night and noticed that new Sorentos have a fiber material in the wheel well instead of the old plastic wheel well cover/splash guard.

I'm wondering how much this reduces road noise in the interior of the car, and if anyone has already tried, or priced this upgrade?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
799 Posts
Mine already has this. It's a 2012 SX. It's more like a tough material...covered in felt. Maybe they only put it only on certain models?

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
unless i see a picture i've no clue what you guys are talking about

either way our Sorento is super quiet already, how much more quiet do you want it to be?

personally i prefer to be able to listen to the engine and shifting sounds, as well as road sounds, so i know if the car is running properly or not

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
2012 ex

My 12 EX seems to have this material. Also, there appears to be some kind of undercoat added to the wheel wells. This surprised me.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
That's one small gripe I had was this papery/fiber stuff. Seems a little cheap, certainly not to last 10+ years, but maybe it is pretty tough.:confused:

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
799 Posts
I asked about it and was told that Mercedes and other upscale vehicles use it as well. First time I saw or heard of it.

Seems to be doing fine and I think it does dampen/deaden sound more than a hard plastic shield.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
That's one small gripe I had was this papery/fiber stuff. Seems a little cheap, certainly not to last 10+ years, but maybe it is pretty tough.:confused:
It's not a structural part and is basically there to keep mud/water from the tires from splashing all over. Making it more beefy is going to have zero effect on sound deadening. If you want that, you'll need to apply sound deadening material to the actual floor pan and inside the actual metal wheel wells above the "felt".

I have no problem with this material...anymore than I have a problem with plastic lower engine bay covers. If the material doesn't bear any load/stress, why increase vehicle weight with heavier materials?

I suppose a steel Stetson cowboy hat would protect your head from more things, but I'll stick with my rabbit/felt one, thanks. It's a LOT lighter and serves the purpose.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
It's not a structural part and is basically there to keep mud/water from the tires from splashing all over. Making it more beefy is going to have zero effect on sound deadening.

Best,
I have no issue with sound deadening, I think it's pretty quiet. No beef for me. I'm talking about it holding up for numerous years to the elements and such. We'll see though, maybe I'm just worrying for nothing.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I have no issue with sound deadening, I think it's pretty quiet. No beef for me. I'm talking about it holding up for numerous years to the elements and such. We'll see though, maybe I'm just worrying for nothing.
I'll be curious to see how they handle impacts from stones and what-not as well.

Best,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts