Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't want to seem like a complainer, but, I bought this new and has approximately 2100 miles on it. Chose a V6 rather than a 4 cy because of the power difference. Also got it with out the 3rd row seat. Here are my observations so far:

1. Engine oil leak, front center ahead of wheels, puddle about 1 ft in diameter for 1 weeks use.
2. R Rear wheel squeak upon exit from garage.
3. Engine rattle when cold starting, last's about 3-4 seconds before oil pressure comes up, then quiet. Warm engine restarts, no noise.
Lifters ticking, about 4 ticks, then quiet and then more ticking. Lasts until warm.
4. UVO radio makes up its own mind when to talk and not. i.e. Tells us no phone connected, when we check connection, says it is connected. Radio selection does not understand the command most of the time. Other days perfect recognition. Audio from call via bluetooth to cell phone is often to noisy to understand.
5. I know it is new, but gas mileage is 17, mixture of city highway. We are not lead footers.

Dealer says,

1.The engine has a rear main seal leak, will change the pan gasket first and then the rear main seal. I am not feeling good about this at all.
2. There was rust on the wheel, they cleaned it, however still squeaks.
3. I have to return the vehicle for an over night stay to hear the rattle ?? I am betting they will not hear anything. They would not allow me to listen to a new sorento (cold) start up on the lot?
4. They claim there is a new soft ware update for the UVO.
5. They said I have to wait until 3K miles before the mileage "sets in".

Did some reading in this forum, about "o" ring seal on the oil filter, allowing the oil to drain out of the filter overnight, thus engine starts without oil pressure until filter fills again, thought they would have fixed it by now??

Will allow them to "fix" these problems, then thinking of lemon law or trade. Not a good experience so far. :eek:

Seen someone else post about this, mine does the same thing. It will not accelerate after making a right hand turn for about 3 seconds. When you pull out into traffic, this is not what you want to happen.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
1. Bummer. I'd file that in the "shiznit happens" category. As long as they (quickly) fix it to your satisfaction...no harm no foul. I don't think this is a particularly common problem.

2. No idea. Never experienced this, nor have I seen any complaints about it here.

3. I've seen people complain about this, but mine doesn't do it. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil.

4. I would agree that the UVO interface isn't very good. The firmware update probably isn't going to make much of a difference.

5. I call BS (with your dealer's explanation). I've been getting 20/28 on my identical vehicle since I drove it off the lot. It's been slightly lower during the winter with "winter formulation" gas. Got almost 9k on mine now.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. They are still awaiting parts.
2. Its the same squeal that you get from cheap pads, don't think Kia is using cheap pads?
3. I originally went to dealer for "free" oil change. They said they use Penzoil blend, 5 w 20. Then told them about the issues.
4. I agree on the UVO, my son has a 2013 sportage, his wife had constant trouble with the phone. When my son would ride with his wife, his phone would take over, even though his wifes phone was Primary. He had to "unmount" his phone altogether, then his wifes phone works reasonably well.
5. Agree on the "BS" statement. Dealer said they would do a mileage test, fill car, drive 30 miles, refill and measure mileage. I have always kept strict records on a spread sheet, so have all that stuff. I took a video of the start up, wheel squeak, lifter ticking etc. They did not want to look at it.:lol:

As a noted tactic, the service advisors are all women, sisters in fact, models, just have to work myself up to say BS after this next visit. :eek:

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
If all information provided is true, sounds like someone may have put on an improper aftermarket oil filter on the V6; didn't check to insure a gasket was present in the new filter; forgot to remove the old gasket upon replacing the old filter, or not tightning to spec. Oil "leak " could be actually coming from that problem area. The lack of immediate oil pressure upon startup is an indicator. 5-20 oil is OK, but I also use sythetic. KIA pads are just fine. Recently had the 25K ( 27k actual ) check and pads were hardly worn, same for the tires. Pad or rotor noise could also be there if vehicle has been idle for a few days, rotor rust would make such a sound, especially when backing up and putting on brakes. If that's the problem should stop with use. My gas mileage has been 18mpg minimum in inner WDC city and up to 28 highway @ 70+mph. Never a complaint about that. Got slightly better after 5-6K miles. Winter grade gas formular now slightly less. Yoou would really would notice the difference if the KIAs had instantanous continuous fuel use read out instead of the sampling one they currently use.:)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the update Izzy. The oil filter was the one from the factory, the one on there now is from the dealer. Have to assume they are Kia brand. I am still having puddles on the floor, strangely in the center front, not where I would imagine the rear main seal to be. Must be running down some arm or something to get it towards the center and in front of the wheels. Have read some previous threads about an "O" ring on the filter causing oil bleed down overnight. Might not be this V6 but another size from Kia. Weather permitting, I am going to jack up the front and have a look for myself and take some pictures.. Wife is in/out of the garage several times a day, only squeaks when it has sat for a while. The rotor looks smooth and shiney:D

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
This is how bad mine was leaking after I got it back the first time from the dealer. They apparently 'fixed' it. It's actually the timing chain cover that's leaking. They thought it was my oil pan and kept re-doing the oil pan but it was actually the timing chain cover all along. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
The oil leak could also be the oil pressure switch. It is under the intake manifold and if it leaks the oil runs down the backside of the block and looks just like a rear main seal leak.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The oil leak could also be the oil pressure switch. It is under the intake manifold and if it leaks the oil runs down the backside of the block and looks just like a rear main seal leak.
Now that would be SWEET!!!!:D But, but...these are Kia trained technicians that came up with the diagnosis of rear main seal. :eek:

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a call this afternoon, parts are in. Will be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow after noon so that they can cold start it Wednesday morning. Then will work on the leak. ???

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dropped the Kia off, had the service rep rewrite the problems on the work order. It was written as engine loud when cold start up. It was re-written as no oil pressure when cold start up. Then asked to speak to the Service Manager, explained what my concerns were, he said he remembered the vehicle and will supervise it tomorrow. He admitted he has never seen a rear main seal leak. So went to showroom to avail myself of free drinks there :p and noticed a sorento in the showroom, something did not look familiar.....it was a 2014! Salesman said they got 2 2014 Sorento's in. :cool:

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! I'm sure its as beautiful in person as it is in the photos. Curious to see what the base models look like.
This was an LX model on the floor, lot of the interior had changed.

But, Got my car back today. It took two days instead. But just about the oil leak. The SM said they have to separate the engine tranny and looked for the leak. It was not the Rear Main Seal. It was the pan seal. They do not have a gasket there, but the factory robot applies a line of sealant, it apparently ran off the edge near the rear. The "super" technician went ahead and pulled the pan and the front cover just to inspect everything before re-assembly. Now appears to be dry, but will keep checking the garage floor. Here is the entry on the paperwork he gave me.

On one other interesting thing. I had the sensation of turning right and the accelerator refusing to engage for a short while.?? He asked me if I used my left foot on the brake, Yes I do, always have. He said there are sensors on the brake pedal that sense a left foot:eek: and the computer thinks something is wrong and disables the accelerator. He said pumping the left foot on the brake will set an check engine light.:eek: Technology !

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Yep! I've made the mistake of resting my foot on the brake while my right is on the gas and it does infact cut power. It's a safety feature. Say something physically gets caught on the accelerator...you hit the brake and it kills the motor.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Yep! I've made the mistake of resting my foot on the brake while my right is on the gas and it does infact cut power. It's a safety feature. Say something physically gets caught on the accelerator...you hit the brake and it kills the motor.
I thought I heard that if you have both pedals down you will rocket out of control and destroy everthing you come across and then crash into a large structure.:D^_^

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The Hyundai-Kia Lambda engines (3.3L, 3.5L, 3.8L) use mechanical lifters. There will be a bit of lash until the lifters can warm up and expand to quiet the lash. Using synthetic oil can help, but you can't take the "moo" out of a cow. It's the nature of the beast!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.