Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 kia sorento v6 sx ..2003 ford f150 fx4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every body i recently bought the 2013 sorento sx v6 a few weeks ago i know have 1500 miles on it i am only getting 17.1 mpg the car drives like it has a brake on when i get to about 60 mph and when i take my foot off the gas to coast, when it gets to 40 it drops down real slow then when it gets to 30 it drops real slow , so when i give it gas to speed up there is such hesitation and no power you can feel the engine strain i took it back to the dealership yesterday for them to look at it , the tech drove it and put it on the computer and said he found no codes and that he thought it drove fine, does any one have the 2013 sorento that you are experiencing the same thing, i think i read somewhere or they told me that this year is a new transmission, well i am so aggrevated about this car it is so pretty , black and all the chrome , it is loaded with the options but it drives bad and burns gas terrible, i traded in my 2011 sorento awd v6 and it got about 27 imagine how sick i am, your replies would be greatly appreciated, thank you and take care , oh and one more thing how long for engine break in? thanks

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
just wait about 15,000 miles/24,000km then switch to synthetic, it will improve.. i had same issue... not with the accelaration though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH really so there is a break in period when I got this one it only had 22 miles on it and I'm not sure what oil the dealership uses I always go there for oil and filter changes , so over some time you think the mpg might improve and thank you for your reply

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
OH really so there is a break in period when I got this one it only had 22 miles on it and I'm not sure what oil the dealership uses I always go there for oil and filter changes , so over some time you think the mpg might improve and thank you for your reply
yes, usually imports are about 30,000km (from 2 experiences and reading some threads) even though our manual says doesn'really need one (break-in)..
the thread i started "best gas mileage recorded on our v6" was after i switched to synthetic.. i always drove somewhat 250km back and forth after an oil change maintaining 100-110km/hr... you will be surprised by the mileage after....
past that speed isnt fuel effiecient anymore... now i went to a 525km trip just about close to empty my reading was 580km on the tank.. i had some few incidents where i got 610-618km, that is when you try to drive your sorento like a car with 1.6L 4 cyl. engine.
...but the v6 power is so tempting.. i love the sound reaching 4,000rpm.. lol plus the pull that you feel...

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
i am getting almost the same mileage as you, about 18mi/g and we have the same setup. i do a lot of city driving though. are you getting 17 with highway driving? the problem you described, where there is resistance at 60mph, sounds like either the trans is not shifting up properly (are you seeing high revs?) or there is an issue with the awd system. if there was something wrong with the engine, i would think the dealer would have pulled a code for that. just curious, do you have the 4WD lock button switched on? i know the car is supposed to deactivate that once you get over 19mph, but i am wondering if that auto turn off feature is somehow not working. you can read up more about that on pg 5-22 of your manual. my last 5 cars were AWD and i can attest to the difference in driving one of them vs a FWD car. there is significant resistance to accelerate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YEs this is highway miles and my sx is not an awd my previous 2011 ex was . My sx just feels so held back it not free do you know what I mean I know these cars are just out I'm just hoping that they find a problem soon and give us a call that there is a problem it seems the car is idled up kinda high it is rough I am using the 89 octain has hoping this will make a diff did you hear this transmission is diff from last year model I'm so frustrated the car is so pretty but not fun to drive

·
Registered
194 Posts
Check tire pressure just to be sure. You can get an ultragague or equivalent and see if something is off with your fuel/air mixture. If you had a plug issue it should be showing up as a code. If you have a badly sticking caliper the wheels should be different temps after you stop the car, the one with the sticking caliper should be hotter. If you think one side may be sticking jack the car up and pull off the wheel and caliper and relube the pad and pins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wish i could just take it back and get another one, yeah right . this car is so frustating to drive i think i will just go back to my 2003 fx ford 4x4 i think it got better mileage than this, it needs to be drove anyhow. today i sent the general manager an email explaining how the car feels and the gas issue, to see if there is any other kind of testing or anything we can do , it feels like a 4 cyl. uugh, i want to feel that punchy power of the v6, my 2011 ex sorento awd was real punchy and it got about 27 mpg, i feel like i made a big mistake for trading that car in it was great, but the sx makes you feel good it so pretty, thanks for all the replies guys, maybe i will give you an update on what the general manager says , i bought this car in arlington texas, great dealership

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Just a thought. Have you checked your RPMs in each gear? Just to make sure that your transmission is actually shifting into each gear through 6th. Almost seems that you are in 5th gear on the road rather than 6th. 17mpg with only FWD is not good unless you are in a high density road area ( Like WDC or NY), though driving patterns can make a huge difference. Your FWD V6 should come off the line with front wheels burning at full throttle. AWD will quicky get all 4 working and take off like an Audi. After 6000 miles you should see an uptick in mileage of at least 1-2mpg. Changing to full synthetic will help out after your first scheduled oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks izzy, you see i feel like it is the trans it just does'nt power up like i feel it should, especially from about 20-60 or 30-60, i took it to the dealership thurs. and he drove it and said it fine and put it on computer but i sometime feel if there no code then they cant fix nothin, which makes sense these cars are diffrent from old days, but i did send the general manager an email and he responded right away and said his wife drives a new one and it only getting 15 he say after break in he will promise it should get what its suppose to he told me to call him monday morning and we will see about this power issue, this dealership has be so good, maybe i can take it back and they will look again , thanks for all the info guys

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
For the power difference, take other ones they have on the lot for test drives to compare. If they still have your old one, take it and compare again. If you can tell the difference, go with a service manager or others to show them the difference.

What else can be checked? How about air filter or any air inlet. If the air intake is restricted, that would affect performance.

What are the RPMs at various speeds and what gear are you in at the various speeds? you can check the gear by briefly switching to sport/tiptronic mode. We can compare what you are seeing/getting with ours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah about the sport shift I'm not exactly sure how to operate that I mean like if you have it on 2 does it stay in 2nd hear until you put it back on the d, sorry for being so in the dark about my car but I read about that in my manual and just not sure what it is for thanks

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
You can put it on sport shift and then put it back in the normal mode. While in sport shift it shows what gear it's in.

When letting us know the RPMs, speed and gear please also indicate how you were driving...such as fast, slow/easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so while I'm driving do I put it on the 1 or the 2 and does it matter how fast I'm driving at the time like if I'm driving 40 do I put in on the 1 or the 2 sorry for being so uneducated about these things I sure would hate to tear up something like the older cars like in the 80's with the drive and 1-2 if I'm going 45 and put it down on the 1 I might tear something up right thank you for explaining all this I will check it out at what speed does it switch into 6th gear

·
Registered
194 Posts
OK so while I'm driving do I put it on the 1 or the 2 and does it matter how fast I'm driving at the time like if I'm driving 40 do I put in on the 1 or the 2 sorry for being so uneducated about these things I sure would hate to tear up something like the older cars like in the 80's with the drive and 1-2 if I'm going 45 and put it down on the 1 I might tear something up right thank you for explaining all this I will check it out at what speed does it switch into 6th gear
Yes it matters, put it into auto stick and then shift it like you would a manual. If you don't drive a manual that typically means shifting at 1.5-2.5k rpms normally (depending upon driving circumstances) and at max RPMs if trying to hit max acceleration. Driving at super high RPMs all the time will burn out the transmission quickly, and shifting into a low gear while driving too fast will instantly destroy the transmission. The auto stick feature likely has "protections" in place to keep you from driving too fast in a certain gear or downshifting to first while going eighty. Still, try to follow the above rough guidelines and you should be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do and also I will be calling the general manager tomorrow to see what we can do about the speed issue of not wanting to climb they may want me to bring it back in its just so frustrating when you feel like you have to busy the pedal just to reach 60 you can just feel the strain you know this car should be real responsive to the touch of uIe has pedal but it has such hesitation makes me tired just to drive it and it stays on my mind thanks guys

·
Registered
194 Posts
Will do and also I will be calling the general manager tomorrow to see what we can do about the speed issue of not wanting to climb they may want me to bring it back in its just so frustrating when you feel like you have to busy the pedal just to reach 60 you can just feel the strain you know this car should be real responsive to the touch of uIe has pedal but it has such hesitation makes me tired just to drive it and it stays on my mind thanks guys
If it is a transmission issue they should be able to monitor and deduce that with their sophisticated dealer computers. It would go way beyond just pulling codes though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh really , that's what I kinda figure that if its not showing any codes they will tell you there is nothing wrong so they may just have to check it out the old fashion way like I said I got to know the general manager there he was a big part of the purchase of the car and when I ssent him an email he seemed positive about helping me but he did say that in time he can almost promise that I will get the right gas mileage that it says like after the engine breaks in I have 1500 miles on it now how long does it take

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh really , that's what I kinda figure that if its not showing any codes they will tell you there is nothing wrong so they may just have to check it out the old fashion way like I said I got to know the general manager there he was a big part of the purchase of the car and when I ssent him an email he seemed positive about helping me but he did say that in time he can almost promise that I will get the right gas mileage that it says like after the engine breaks in I have 1500 miles on it now how long does it take
All manufacturers now have proprietary computer setups that can monitor and control all shift points in the transmission, and a host of other factors related to performance, fuel injectors, throttle position, mostly everything. Usually they need a regional rep or higher to come in and play around with this stuff to monitor it. Things not shifting properly may not necessarily trigger a code, all depends on how the CELs are programmed to click on, which is all proprietary and I so unfortunately nobody on this board will know the specifics.

I have to say if I were you I would give it a little bit of time, track my gas receipts and chart how much fuel I put in the car vs. miles driven for the next 1000-1500 miles. That will give you a much better statistical sample to go back and complain with. If its a transmission issue and its slugging around and killing economy it could be a torque converter issue. No idea what is needed for the torque converter to trigger a CEL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts