Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Have a tale of woe for you :)
2013 Sorento, 170,000 kms on it.
Starts up, runs for about an hour, then wont restart for 2-3 hours. When restarted will stall approx every 1km. Ignition turns will gently chug a second or two so feels like it has no fuel. At one point I added 10 liters of gas when it still said 120km to empty, and it restarted straight away. I thought it may be a faulty fuel gauge, so filled the tank, but that only got me 100m lol.
Figured it all pointed to rogue sensors so replaced again, no joy.

Heres what has been done in the past year. Before you question my sanity, I only became the proud owner of this project in January, so didnt spend the $8k the poor previous owner did last year on this to get nowhere. Apart from this issue, car performs as normal.

Jan 20 - 2 x Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensors 170km
June 19 - New crankshaft sensor 163km
June 19 - Tested evap system. Leaking past pressure system, replace gas cap 162km
Jan 19 - Engine light on, vehicle continues to stall. New Manifold catalytic, converter assy 152km
Jan 19 - O2 sensor replaced 153km
Jan 19 - New fuel pump 153km
Jul 18 - Spark plugs 136km

My next thought would be checking the fuel basket for excess crap in it, and maybe flush the fuel lines? Any input (apart from an exorcism) would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
James

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
482 Posts
If I understand you correctly the previous owner had the same issue and spent $8K trying to correct it?
Then you purchased the vehicle from this person knowing the vehicle had this 'no start' issue?
May I ask why you purchased someone else's unsolvable headache?
Off the track a bit, sorry.

This reminds me of back in the day when cars were just switching over to computer control.
Many ECM's (engine control management) computers were heat and vibration sensitive.
This caused a circuit to open up in the module and the vehicle would not start or run.
Once it cooled down several hours, the vehicle would once again run for a time because the circuit would close.
No way to really test for the open circuit, and you may not get a OBDII code.

Advise - Go online and purchase a used low mileage engine computer ECM and swap it out.
It's your next box to check off.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi - thanks for this. I took a punt on buying it at a great price, hoping it was the obvious sensor issues. Guess it isnt :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts