Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 Sorento. I noticed when I am stopped at lights the RPMs go down, it idles rough and the truck shakes a bit. It's more noticeable when the AC is running. If i take it out of drive the shaking stops. The dealer told me this is normal and is due to the GDI engine and the gas saving features. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
'12 EX GDI w/Prem
51 Posts
I think it's the GDI feature. Mine reminds me a little of my '05 Jetta diesel at idle. Outside it even sounds a little like it. I assume it's the high pressure injectors that a direct injection require.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
When I was shopping for ours, I did think the GDI idled a bit rough. I was in the market for a V6 though...which purrrs like a kitten at idle. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
i have the 2.4l GDI and the idle seemed a little rough at first but after a few miles it purrs like a kitten and i now have 10k miles .

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX
7 Posts
Did you have Eco mode on or off? Eco would make it run rougher at idle from my experience with other vehicles with this feature. On idle try deactivating Eco. The rpms should climb marginally and it will run smoother.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
Did you have Eco mode on or off? Eco would make it run rougher at idle from my experience with other vehicles with this feature. On idle try deactivating Eco. The rpms should climb marginally and it will run smoother.
i don't know if its different on a 2013 but on the 2012 the ECO button has no impact on engine rpm its a light that comes on when the driver has reached optimum fuel efficiency see page 4-54 of your owners manual it does nothing more then that but maybe the Canadian models are different than ours.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why would a fuel saver mode have it idling rough? Cutting fuel injector activation time should reduce RPMs, but should not unbalance the timing between pistons. Does anyone have a good mechanical explanation for what is occurring here?

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
The sorento does not actually have a mode that is a fuel saving one. The eco light is just when you drive optimally that saves gas. By turning it off or on does not make a difference per se. The eco light just lets you know that you are not driving fast and more like a grandpa (me) hehe.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
hmm... i'm on a 2013 as well, but i don't notice what a few of you are saying about the idling being rough

it's very soft to like nothing, maybe because i came from an old car with very rough idle? LOL :p

the first 2 weeks driving the Sorento 2013, i always though the car was Off, as i can't feel the vibrations, but then you look at the dash, and everything is lit up, so it's fine.

It's an odd sensation for me, since i'm used to feeling the car revs when idling or going up/down gears

even when i drive the Sorento in semi-"manual" mode i can't get the feel of the engine revs, everything is too soft and quiet in this SUV

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
hmm... i'm on a 2013 as well, but i don't notice what a few of you are saying about the idling being rough

it's very soft to like nothing, maybe because i came from an old car with very rough idle? LOL :p

the first 2 weeks driving the Sorento 2013, i always though the car was Off, as i can't feel the vibrations, but then you look at the dash, and everything is lit up, so it's fine.

It's an odd sensation for me, since i'm used to feeling the car revs when idling or going up/down gears

even when i drive the Sorento in semi-"manual" mode i can't get the feel of the engine revs, everything is too soft and quiet in this SUV
Too smooth, soft and quiet, those BASTARDS!!! :eek: :)

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
The rough and loud GDI is normal. Personally I love it. Like to hear what it sounds like with a slightly open exhuast and non cushioned intake noise.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
I also have the rough pulsating idle (though it's not a violent rough idle...just reminds you it's there) on my 2013 LX GDI AWD. It was present on both the one I test drove and the one I bought, dealer told me it was normal and occurs because of the way the GDI works.

The ride is quiet though!

My startup is a little loud, does everyone else have this problem (temp is between 65-80 right now so warm up isn't an issue)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up my 2013 LX GDI and its the same for me, (rough Idle). Hope it goes away after the engine break in period.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
The rough idle is normal for the GDI, but is only noticeable under certain conditions. Engine at operating temp, in gear with brake applied is where I notice it worst. I've tested 6 different GDI Sorentos(3 new, 2 with less than 5k, and one with ~15k) and all of them do it.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
The rough idle is normal for the GDI, but is only noticeable under certain conditions. Engine at operating temp, in gear with brake applied is where I notice it worst. I've tested 6 different GDI Sorentos(3 new, 2 with less than 5k, and one with ~15k) and all of them do it.
Just wanted to share my findings, it is worst at a stop, car in Drive with the brake on and Max AC or AC in general. Turn off the air condition and it's barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also feel the vibrations 2013 ex 4cyllinder from day one and I have about 1k miles now and a factory kia rep stated that there will be a software upgrade to increase the idle while the car is in drive and break is engaged.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 2WD Titanium/B&D leather
309 Posts
I also feel the vibrations 2013 ex 4cyllinder from day one and I have about 1k miles now and a factory kia rep stated that there will be a software upgrade to increase the idle while the car is in drive and break is engaged.
KIA TSB #122-2.4 GDI rough idle
Engine 2013MY Sorento (XM)
w/2.4L GDI
NUMBER DATE
122-August 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SERVICE ACTION: ECM UPGRADE –
2.4L GDI IDLE RPM STABILITY IMPROVEMENT (SA128)
This bulletin provides information related to the ECM software upgrade of some 2013MY
Sorento 2.4L GDI vehicles produced from March 6, 2012 to August 6, 2012 to improve
idle RPM stability while at a stop with A/C ON. It is important to note that the 2.4L GDI
engine has a certain level of harmonic vibration while at low idle RPM’s which is a normal
characteristic of this engine design. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been done
to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB. To ensure
maximum customer satisfaction, Kia is requesting the completion of this Service Action on
all affected 2013 Sorento vehicles. The ECM software update, and its dates of effected units, is now posted in a new thread.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
KIA TSB #122-2.4 GDI rough idle
Engine 2013MY Sorento (XM)
w/2.4L GDI
... It is important to note that the 2.4L GDI
engine has a certain level of harmonic vibration while at low idle RPM’s which is a normal
characteristic of this engine design....
Sounds like there is a little bit of a trade off for getting 25HP more and better fuel economy out of an engine that had no issues before adding the GDI.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Sounds like there is a little bit of a trade off for getting 25HP more and better fuel economturboy out of an engine that had no issues before adding the GDI.
Well I have a 2010 Tucson with the standard 2.4 engine, that has the same rough idle issue. It's so faint, that it's hardly noticable until I pull in to park in my slightly uphill driveway fully warmed up with the A/C on, just before I turn my engine off. It only appears under these conditions? After putting 50k miles on the vehicle, I figure ths is normal behavior.

I don't know if it's worse, or more noticable with the 2.4 GDI engine, but due to Hyundai/Kia's lack of vision, this engine is not offered in the Tucson, nor is the 2.4 turbo, after being promised this :mad: We are hopelessly stuck with the boring "plain vanilla" 2.4 engine. :( I mean even the Sonata, & Optimo get the 2.4 GDI? But not in the heavier, more truck like Tucson. Come on Hyundai wake up! are we the poor relation? :mad:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts