Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sorento LX with Dealer installed Remote Start. Everything seems to work fine except that if the engine has been started with the remote start, and the back hatch is opened, the engine dies.

Is this normal? It doesn't seem like it should function any different than any other door on the vehicle.

ALSO, the back hatch can not be opened with the fob. It can be unlocked, but not actually opened. (The manual states that it may not open the back hatch on all models, so this may not be an issue.)

THANKS for any help!!
J.Conner2

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Yep...
It's normal for the remote start to shut down the engine with ANY door being opened...
Otherwise someone might "help themselves" to you KIA when you were not looking...
I believe the "dealer installed" remote start may not be totally wired into the system as ALL doors should "stall" the motor not just the rear hatch.
I don't think the wiring job was done correctly or the "non-OEM" remote start has problems.
Dave

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not how I understood the manual.
Not only can you open the doors and get in with the engine running, but you can hit the remote button while the key is in the ignition, and take the key out (while the engine remains on) and get out of the car, shut & lock the door with the FOB. Come back unlock w/FOB, get in, turn the key to the RUN position, and be on your way. All of this with the engine running.
IF you get into the car and push the brake without the key being in the run position, the engine will turn off. That keeps it from being able to be put in gear.

Also, the Remote Start is a KIA Product installed at the dealer.
(I'm not sure if that part was clear in the original post.)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
This may be a late revision to the LX remote start kit. Its been a while since I installed one in an LX, but did one in an SX(push-button start) last week and it worked like you described. When the hatch was opened the remote start turned off. If I get a chance, I will research this tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Update. Installed a remote start in an LX Sorento this morning and made sure to check the tailgate. If the remote start is activated, unlock the doors and open the tailgate, the remote start turns off. This appears to be normal operation, although it is not mentioned in the LX Sorento remote start install instructions. It is, however, mentioned in the function checks for the EX/SX (push button start) remote start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorento 2015 engine dies when opening doors

got a 2015 sorento when you start it up with remote runs until you open rear hatch or side door engine stall . wondering if this is a normal operation from kia command start instalation kit ?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Sure it is...
Otherwise if you started the car and left it unlocked or it was broken in to at that time the thief could drive your car away... A broken window wouldn't bother a thief if he wanted your car.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dave,

You guess was a good one, but it is incorrect - Even though the engine is running and the heat or A/C are on, the car will not drive until you have the key in the vehicle and hit the start button again. This is consistent with how remote start works from other companies as well (I personally have experience with Cadillac, Dodge and Chrysler).

Which brings us back to the original question - why does the engine die when a door is opened (the other brands DO NOT turn off when a door is opened and even the Kia stays on for a minute, making your guess moot).

My experience is with a 2015 Sedona (factory remote start).

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SXL 8 seater with tech pkg, 2017 Niro LX
43 Posts
I have a '16 Sedona SXL. I installed a Kia factory OEM remote start system myself. When I activate the remote start, the engine will run for 10 minutes before shutting off with the doors locked. The doors will not unlock until the key fob is close enough to unlock the doors or rear hatch. At that point I only have 30 seconds (for the side doors) and 50 seconds (for the rear hatch) to get in and press the brake and push start button before the engine will shut down.
This to avoid theft of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,366 Posts
It’s normal. It’s actually a safety feature to prevent the inside of the vehicle from filling with exhaust gas’s when the hatch is open.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts