Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Kia Sorento with 9,000 miles on it. The transfer case started making a whining noise that corresponded to the RPM'S and lowered in pitch when the RPM's reduced! Took it to KIA and after just listening to it without looking deeper said I needed a new transfer case. Anyone have similar problem or should I be worried about a lemon. This vehicle needed new O2 sensors after a week of purchasing it.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,768 Posts
Your going to get a new transfer case for free, covered under your warranty. That's a good thing. I've been working for Kia for over 3 years now. Never have we replaced T/C for any 2011 and up Sorento. The use of the word lemon in your case, should be saved for adding to your tea or water, or maybe a lemon drop! I'm sure you know that o2 sensors and your t/c are 2 completely diff things.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sigh...yet another first time poster with issues that don't appear to be common and then he/she disappears. Hmmmmmm....just sayin.

:)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
Sigh...yet another first time poster with issues that don't appear to be common and then he/she disappears. Hmmmmmm....just sayin.

:)
Lets give everyone the benefit of the doubt he only has 9000 mile on it, most people only look for help or complain after they have a serious problem.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....Just sayin. :)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Lets give everyone the benefit of the doubt he only has 9000 mile on it, most people only look for help or complain after they have a serious problem.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....Just sayin. :)
That sounds fair I guess.:D Besides, I would be pretty disappointed myself if I had those issues with a new vehicle.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
That sounds fair I guess.:D Besides, I would be pretty disappointed myself if I had those issues with a new vehicle.
Nevermind that we've got a Kia employee here who say he hasn't seen ONE of these in 3 years....lol

Look, I'm all for letting people air their issues. I've done it myself with the lame UVO radio. But it just seems that we've had a rash of these mystery posters who make some pretty wild claims and then vanish.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I can picture these 'owners' sitting behind their desks at Honda and Toyota dealerships being paid to post this stuff...haha

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
There is no perfect vehicle. There are bound to be some that have any part fail. One out of ten thousand...not unexpected. One out of ten...really different story.

As of yesterday my Sorento had no problems with any part of the drivetrain, suspension, body, interior, electrics, or anything else. Today something might blow up, but I kind'a doubt it. If it does blow up, I'll let everyone know. If everything continues to work, I won't post anything else about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 Sorento EX having same type of Transfer Case Problems after about 10,000. The mechanic found it in a very short road test so I think he had seen it before. This was discovered the day before a 2 week vacation which I have had to cancel as the Transfer Case is on back order an has to be shipped in from Korea. These guys need to maintain adequate part inventories in North America. No other complaints about vehicle but this is a big problem in my mind. Outside of this it has been a good vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts
I can picture these 'owners' sitting behind their desks at Honda and Toyota dealerships being paid to post this stuff...haha
I remember Honda being caught years ago posting BS on their competition forums. It does happen and with Honda I would fully understand as my KIA feels 10 times the car my CRV is. Except that it does not seem to be as reliable as my CRV so I'll give Honda a little praise :lol:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
2013 Sorento EX having same type of Transfer Case Problems after about 10,000. The mechanic found it in a very short road test so I think he had seen it before. This was discovered the day before a 2 week vacation which I have had to cancel as the Transfer Case is on back order an has to be shipped in from Korea. These guys need to maintain adequate part inventories in North America. No other complaints about vehicle but this is a big problem in my mind. Outside of this it has been a good vehicle.
Your dealer doesn't offer loaners?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! this pictures belong to my KIA SORENTO 2013, purchase in february 2013. picture were taken at the dealers garage the 28 november 2014. my question is if anybody thinks this gears ever work. since they tell the warranty does not cover it. I got 67000, km on the car and I supostly had a 5 years and 100 000 km coverage. and if I did the oil change of the engine somewhere else, I would lose the coverage on engine only.
Anybody has a coment on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Chris, what country are you in? It is helpful if you put more info in your profile.

Your laws determine what your warranty must cover and the requirements for you to protect that.

That gear box ran dry. The gear oil must have leaked out through a faulty seal or other leak. It certainly should be covered by the warranty, but you need to look into your warranty book and reference your local laws.

What is called the transfer case is just an angle gear assembly. This transfer case is connected to the driveshaft which is always turning when the car moves. At the rear end of the driveshaft is the electric 4wd clutch assembly that connects the rear axle to the driveshaft when 4wd is called for. (I know, Kia calls it all wheel drive. Mine has the AWD sticker. But it isn't what I call AWD, because all the wheels can not be driven all the time.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chris, are you saying kia will not cover that repair? I've seen that type of damage before, it should be covered. Hyundai also had problems like this with the sante fe vehicle. If the dealer is refusing to repair it call kia and complain. Water is getting past the seals because they were not set to the correct depth in the case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transfer case 2013 Sorento

We've had the same problem- 2013 Sorento now with 60k miles on it. Was running fine, developed a whirring/clicking sound that changed with RPMs. Took it to mechanic near my office and he said sounded like bad transfer case gear, to take it to Kia. Took it to dealer and they are in the process of replacing the transfer case.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
828 Posts
If sound changes with RPM then doesn't it mean it's an engine problem?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
If sound changes with RPM then doesn't it mean it's an engine problem?
Depends if you are in neutral or in drive and if you are in motion or not. If in neutral than yes 100% engine related, if during driving, can be many many things.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts
I have a 2013 AWD V6 and it has developed the whirring sound too. Not exactly sure where it is coming from but my guess was the transfer case first time, but it does it when the car is not moving so it is probably the idler pully which I was going to get around to changing one day.

Since I imported this car from the US to Canada, I'm out of luck with any warranty and I only have 25k miles on her so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I too have a 2013 sorrento with 86k klms when this happend to the rear diff

Took it to the Kia dealer and upon further inspection also now requires a new transfer case. Waiting on feedback from Kia Australia, has anyone else had much luck with warranty claims?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts