Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Kia Sorento, 10 Hyundai Elantra, 08 Hyundai Elantra, 97 Ford Raner
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello eveyone.

Whew, okay, introduction over. I'm glad I made it through that. Now on to the meat and potatoes of this post.

I just bought a 2013 Sorento LX Titanium Silver 4cyl w/ convince package + third row seats. I have less that 300 miles on it. I went to the dealer to re-sign some paper work to get the gap insurance (they brought it to my house with all paper work minus gap coverage)....anyway.
While I was there and couldn't get the second-row passenger seat to fold back up. They brought it over to the service area and was told they had to adjust a cable that was attached to the latch. Now two days later and the freaking seat is now stuck again in the folded position.

I've looked around here and google and haven't found a solution to my problem. Nothing.. I've found complaints similar to mine but all more or less end up with the person going back to the dealer.... I'm an hour away from the dealer and have six kids (hence the reason for the vehicle) to lug around with me. If I can avoid having to go back to the dealer for a simple fix I'd rather do that.

Any one here ran into this issue and solved it diy style?

Thanks

*Edit*
update...uh...post two

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the issue comes from vibrations locking the teeth of the "locking mechanism" in the hinges so tightly that the teeth can't be released easily. I took the covers off the hinges to the seat and noticed that there's no grease at all on the upper set of teeth, the set that is used when the seat is laid down. I'm going to add some grease to see if that solves the problem.

I'll add some pictures tonight.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
Yes indeed, I had this same issue. Initially, I didn't even know that I could flip the rear passenger seat up to allow access to the third row. Which is no problem but I have aftermarket leather thrown in by the dealer and the installers actually covered up the pull handle that allows the seat to flip up. So that was a trip I had to make to the dealer, thus taking time out of my day for their mistake, but I digress...

When the seat was folded, it was nearly impossible to pull the lever on top to release it back to the upright position without almost breaking the lever. I kind of figured that since it was new that is was just stiff and needed to be worked a little. I thought about squirting some lube in there but wasn't sure where exactly to squirt. Well, I took it back to the dealership to get it fixed and they had to order another cable because it had come apart inside the seat and was not releasing, glad I didn't mess with it. So yet another trip back to the dealer for the third time for them to install the cable. I know it's all warranty but it was a bit of a hassle. You'll def need to get it serviced by the dealer. I like to fix things myself but I didn't look in there to see if there was a DIY fix, I shouldn't have to, it's a brand new car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you. The dealership is an hour drive from my house and two hours from work. On top of that I have six kids. Two are mine and 4 are with me as a result of an irresponsible family member...

Going to the dealer is a huge, huge hassle for me and even though it's a new car I'm going to just fix it myself because it'll be easier. The amount of time wasted is just insane, especially since they didn't get it right the first time. A second trip that resulted in it not being fixed would send me over the edge.

Funny thing is my wife said the exact same thing as you. "Shouldn't have to, it's a brand new car"...lol, I guess better minds think alike.

I'll end up using the same generic clear grease that was used so it shouldn't void the warranty. We'll see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Be aware though, the grease may not fix it, as it wouldn't have fixed mine because it was the actual cable itself that was defective and had come apart inside the seat. My thought was to lube the mechanism (latch) that releases but that would have done nothing. I think the seat cover is pretty simple to take off and expose the cable in question. You may have to take it in, so be prepared.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be aware though, the grease may not fix it, as it wouldn't have fixed mine because it was the actual cable itself that was defective and had come apart inside the seat. My thought was to lube the mechanism (latch) that releases but that would have done nothing. I think the seat cover is pretty simple to take off and expose the cable in question. You may have to take it in, so be prepared.
At the moment the cable isn't broken and the levers still move. *knock on wood* I'm just trying to avoid going to the dealer if I can. If the grease doesn't work then I'll have to make a trip. I'm really hoping that I don't have to *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whelp, that didn't work. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bring it in now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealership said that there's a hinge in the seat and that the cable had come off the hinge.

Problem alleviated so far. I'll give it a couple of days before I'll say it's fixed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad it's fixed. Mine has been working fine so far also, though still a little stiff but I contribute that to not using it a lot.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX
8 Posts
Resolved stuck folded down

My 2013 Sorrento EX second row seat was getting stuck in the down position from day one. It was really tough to get it to fold back up. Had it serviced, they said there were some loose screws on the cable bracket. After the first service it was still difficult to unfold. Took it in again to the dealer. The tech said the closing mechanism has barbed teeth. The barbs dig in and get stuck. He modified the teeth filing off the exess metal and now it works like it should.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX
8 Posts
Update: It worked for a few days and got stuck again. The dealer serviced it and said the bracket was installed in the wrong position. It was off by 5 degrees. The corrected this and it worked properly for a week. The seat is still hard to unfold at times. I have taken it in 3 times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fix for Sorento Cable Problem

Great youtube fix for cable problem. I have 1 2013 Sorento LX with the problem. Been to the dealer for the warranty fix, but it's not much better. A poor design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts